Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roofing woes

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
autoMick
2740 Views, 7 Replies

Roofing woes

Hi, I'm a newcomer to revit and have a roofing problem. Please see the attached picture.

Actually, I have two questions:

1. I tried to create the full roof from a single footprint, however revit didn't handle the section the squared off section on the grey roof properly, so I created a separate (blue) roof. How can I get these two roofs to merge seemlessly (not just overlap), such that cathedral ceilings underneath will be accurate?

2. My walls are attached to the roof. Where the plain pink wall forms a corner near the roof join, the inside face of the wall is exposed and won't show the face colour as technically it is the inside of the corner being shown as a grey strip extending from the lower roof segment up to the higher roof segment. How do I fix the material settings for this little bit?

Thanks

- Mick

roof.jpg

Civil3d user in Australia since 2012.
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

try these:

1. Select the Roof > Join/Un join Roof>select the edge of the roof you want to join and then the face of the other roof whith which to join.....If this does not work ,you can do the following steps :     

• First , extend the second roof so to intersect the firts one, select it , appply then simple Join Geometry in order to obtain an intersection line.
  • Now, you have to cut off the part (of the second roof) that stays inside the first roof. For this: made a :Component> Model in Place>Family Category and Parameters>Family Category >Roofs>Name >Create >Void Forms >Void Extrusion - usin the Intersection Line of the two roofs as a guide ,make a Void volume so to cut the extra length of the roof

2.Select the wall (better use a Plan View , but you can in axonometric 3d view ,too) > Wall Joins> if yaou hover with the mouse over th small rectanglee intersection of the walls a small rectangle appears - click to choose the corner you want>change in Cofiguration from Butt to Miter

Image 137.png

Constantin Stroescu
BIM Manager AGD
Message 3 of 8

Constantin - thankyou for your reply.

The wall joins worked well - I ended up redrawing that part of the wall so that the butt end was facing the direction I needed the face, but I fixed up some other corners using the mitre as suggested. So that issue is solved now.

I'm still having trouble with the roof unfortunately. I tried extending the roof, however, I wasn't able to join/intersect one roof segment with the other. They seem to align properly, however revit just wouldn't let me select the second roof to complete the operation. Any more hints?

I've attached some images as it is at the moment. The top face of the roof is exactly how I want it (In this version I used the join roof command as suggested) , however you can see from the wireframe views that there is a section of the left hand roof that projects under the right hand roof. It is this projecting section that I wish to delete.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Thanks

- Mick

more roof.png

Message 4 of 8

In order to obtain this:

Image 142.png

1. create the second roof - Roof by Footprint aT a certain distance as in image 143
  2. select the second roof and then click on Join Roof  - Image 143 -1
  3. select the edge of the second roof you want to extend (Image 143 -2)
  4. second step- select the face of the first roof where you want the extension to go (image 144-3)
  5. the result is as in Image 145-5
  6. in order to make the join with the wall under the first roof, in Sketch mode , extend the second roof as shown in Image 146-6 - exit sketch mode
  7. Select the second roof (Image 147 -A) > Join Geometry > select the second roof and the wall ( see image 147 A and B)
Constantin Stroescu
BIM Manager AGD
Message 5 of 8

Fantatic instructions there Constantin - thankyou. That all makes sense.

One remaining question for you: In your image 147, are you able to delete the section of the original roof which is now overshadowed by the new section of roof? In other words - I only want to keep the parts of the combined roof which see the sun and I also wish to have a simple join between the two roofs on the underside?

How would you go about those final steps of deleting the unwanted section (NE corner) of original roof in image 147B ?

Thanks

- Mick

Message 6 of 8

there are two ways :

1. the most simple one is to work a little in the sketch mode - Image 149 - Image 151.
  2. the second looks a little more elaborate , but it allows more complicated cuts of the roof and a totaly control of this cut ( see Image 153 - Image 155 😞
  • for this : Architecture > Component > Model in Place > Family Category and Parameters > Roofs > Name >Void Forms > Void Extrusion >select the void and then Cut -Cut Geomtry - select the Void and the Roof that you want to be cut >Finish Model ( see image 155)

Image 156.png

Constantin Stroescu
BIM Manager AGD
Message 7 of 8

I understood your question wrong...

Apply method 2 - Cut with Void to the first roof   see Image 157- 159

Image 159.png

Constantin Stroescu
BIM Manager AGD
Message 8 of 8

Thankyou for your detailed methodologies - very helpful !

Yes, I think the second method is what I'm after, although I had anticipated that the 'join roof' tool would've been able to cleanup the underside surface, just like it does with the top surface, automatically.

thanks for your help

- Mick

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report