Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roof thickness and vertical alignment

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
autoMick
1908 Views, 5 Replies

Roof thickness and vertical alignment

roof

Please see attached rvt file. I have created two roofs by footprint and slope arrows using the same roof type and they abut on one edge as shown. My issue is that although the base of the roofs are both set at 4.000m, the top surface of the roofs are not even. This then has implications for adding fascias and gutters that won't join. I understand that this arises due to the different roof angles in my file, but I am wondering if there is a solution that will allow me to easily align the top surfaces of the roofs?

Thanks

- Mick

Civil3d user in Australia since 2012.
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

I suggest using a flat Roof by Footprint on which to apply Modify Sub Elements:

1. create a L shaped Roof by Footprint and uncheck all the Define Slopes ( Image 01) , thus creating a flat roof
  2. Select the Roof > Shape Editing > Add Split Line - create a line that conects A and D
  3. Select again the roof > Shape Editing > Modify Sub Elements  - select one by one points C,D,E and change their height to 1000. Points A,B,F remains to 0,00 - Image 02 and Image 03

Image 01

Image 01.png

Image 02

Image 02.png

Image 03

Image 03.png

Constantin Stroescu
BIM Manager AGD
Message 3 of 6
Alfredo_Medina
in reply to: autoMick

Why two roofs? What´s wrong with making this as one roof with two different slopes?

3-8-2014 5-27-51 PM.jpg

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 4 of 6

Alfredo, I had considered that which works on that simple test file, but the actual roof I'm doing is quite an elaborate structure and with some experiemention I found that calculating and setting angles didn't work for me exactly. Thanks for your reply.

Constanin - I think that's what I'm after - I'll have to see if it works on my full model, but that definitely is a step in the right direction. Thankyou for your detailed explanation.

Regards

- Mick

Message 5 of 6
Alfredo_Medina
in reply to: autoMick

No problem. Just be aware that the method of modified subelements can cause an irregular thickness in the roof or slab.

3-8-2014 7-21-23 PM.jpg

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 6 of 6
autoMick
in reply to: Alfredo_Medina

Thanks Alfredo, yes I noticed that - it would be good if when using slope arrows that revit gave the option to either:
a) vary the roof thickness so that the roof top and bottom align; or
b) adjust the roof top so that the top edges always align; or
c) adjust the roof bottom so that the bottom edges always align (which is what it does now).

Regards

- Mick

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report