Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roof Framing plan - Display

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
Anonymous
1691 Views, 8 Replies

Roof Framing plan - Display

Hi Everyone, I keep getting this mixed up. I am trying to show the walls below for my roof framing plan (similar to plan below). When I turn on my underlay level to Fin Floor some walls do not show up nor do the window or door openings. What am I doing wrong? Thanks in Advance for your help. Mike Smith mike@mdsarchitect.com
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi Mike, I've attached some pics from a fairly simply house i did a short while back in the autodesk.revit.customer-gallery newsgroup. The roof framing plan, a floor framing plan and with the view settings i used... Hopefully they are self explanatory. I personally would not use the underlay option to show the walls below (but i do use it sometimes to show the walls above), I find it prints way too light... For my upper roof framing plans I set the cut plane around 24" BELOW the level. This allows me to show my bearing walls as being "cut".... To show the Roof DARK I simply turn on the roof above as an underlay and trace over the edges with WIDE detail lines, locking the lines to the roof so they update... Hopefully that helps... Regards, Paul Monsef ----------------------------- TSA | architects, pllc Production/CAD Manager 425.401.6828 x105 paulmonsef_NOSPAM_@tsaarchitects.com "Mike Smith" wrote in message news:419a7d6c_2@newsprd01... > Hi Everyone, > I keep getting this mixed up. I am trying to show the walls below for my > roof framing plan (similar to plan below). When I turn on my underlay > level to Fin Floor some walls do not show up nor do the window or door > openings. What am I doing wrong? > > Thanks in Advance for your help. > Mike Smith > mike@mdsarchitect.com > > > > > >
Message 3 of 9
Anonymous

Paul Monsef wrote: > To show the Roof DARK I simply turn on the roof above as an underlay and > trace over the edges with WIDE detail lines, locking the lines to the roof > so they update... You should also look into the 'linework' tool. If you use it to make lines bold, those lines will continue to show even when the underlay is then turned off. So it's a more automatic way to do what you're doing now. I use it to make, for example, a dashed line on the floorplan for overhead elements like a skylight. Jeffrey
Message 4 of 9
Anonymous

Hi Jeffrey, I had problems when using the linework tool on screened objects (overlay's), even if I used the "wide" line.. For some reason it just came out "wide screened". I'll try it again. :o) -- Regards, Paul Monsef ----------------------------- TSA | architects, pllc Production/CAD Manager 425.401.6828 x105 paulmonsef_NOSPAM_@tsaarchitects.com "Jeffrey McGrew" wrote in message news:419b91e9$1_1@newsprd01... > Paul Monsef wrote: >> To show the Roof DARK I simply turn on the roof above as an underlay and >> trace over the edges with WIDE detail lines, locking the lines to the >> roof so they update... > > You should also look into the 'linework' tool. If you use it to make lines > bold, those lines will continue to show even when the underlay is then > turned off. So it's a more automatic way to do what you're doing now. I > use it to make, for example, a dashed line on the floorplan for overhead > elements like a skylight. > > Jeffrey
Message 5 of 9
Steve_Stafford

Another way that doesn't seem to get much "respect" is to overlay plans on the sheet. Set up a floor plan view that shows just the elements you want to underlay in your final presented sheet. Then overlay this view on the sheet on top of the other view, they will snap into alignment over one another.

You get much better control over lineweight and you don't run the risk of undoing the linework you changed using the linework tool.
Message 6 of 9
Anonymous

Forgive my ignorance but this seems like such a simple task with no clear simple solution in a program that should make it simple. Having to jump through hoops to resolve the problem is a problem in its self. It seems Revit has made "some" not "all" of the little easy things more difficult to do. Scott Robinson Infinite Design Architectural Design - Planning 78-134 Holua Rd. Kailua-Kona, Hi. 96740 808-987-0193 infinitedesign@hawaii.rr.com "Steve_Stafford" wrote in message news:19610108.1100725525420.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > Another way that doesn't seem to get much "respect" is to overlay plans on the sheet. Set up a floor plan view that shows just the elements you want to underlay in your final presented sheet. Then overlay this view on the sheet on top of the other view, they will snap into alignment over one another. > > You get much better control over lineweight and you don't run the risk of undoing the linework you changed using the linework tool.
Message 7 of 9
Steve_Stafford

What I described would take a couple minutes to do and would remain live and update automatically for the rest of the course of a project. I'm not sure how much easier it can be? In the past, I've posted examples of overlaying views on sheets in the AUGI Revit forums. Try a search for the word Overlay.

Or follow this link, you need to be a member of AUGI though (free)

http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=5877

or this link

http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=7570
Message 8 of 9
Anonymous

".....a couple of minutes...." it should take seconds. 2 - 5 mouse clicks and your done. "Steve_Stafford" wrote in message news:586001.1100853140705.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > What I described would take a couple minutes to do and would remain live and update automatically for the rest of the course of a project. I'm not sure how much easier it can be? I've posted several examples of overlaying views on sheets in the AUGI Revit forums. Try a search for the word Overlay.
Message 9 of 9
Steve_Stafford

All things can be improved...just offering one way to get it done now, the way things are now. I don't write the code...just use it...

If things don't make you happy, then talk with Revit Support. They'll make sure the developers know what you want improved.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report