Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revits RAM

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
DaleWWW
168 Views, 4 Replies

Revits RAM

We have had a rep come to our office and give us a demo. We have asked the tech that was with the rep about RAM requirements and we have looked at the required specs from Autodesk. There seems to be a discrepancy. The tech said that if we go with Revit we should upgrade all of our computers to at least 2 Gb of RAM. I have used Photoshop and 3d studio max on less ram than that and those 2 programs are real memmory hogs.

Does Revit really need that much ram to run efficiently? What is most of you running out there?

Thanks,
DaleWWW
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: DaleWWW

Most of our workstation have 2gigs of memory, thought we do have one that has one gig, and it runs pretty well. I would treat 1 gig as the absolute minimum, and 2 gigs if you can afford it. It all has to do with how big your projects are. -Z. "DaleWWW" wrote in message news:17828945.1094651518885.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum1.autodesk.com... > We have had a rep come to our office and give us a demo. We have asked the tech that was with the rep about RAM requirements and we have looked at the required specs from Autodesk. There seems to be a discrepancy. The tech said that if we go with Revit we should upgrade all of our computers to at least 2 Gb of RAM. I have used Photoshop and 3d studio max on less ram than that and those 2 programs are real memmory hogs. > > Does Revit really need that much ram to run efficiently? What is most of you running out there? > > Thanks, > DaleWWW
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous

I think you should consider this; One of our stations has 512Mb RAM and it works perfectly for anything up to about 3 full sized appartments in a single file, after that the slowdown becomes too big of an interference to work properly. On our other stations we run with 1Gb -but- you should consider the fact that you can have 'ram' or 'RAM'. We run with the Corsair Twinx Ultra LowLatency [2x512] which is 1Gb but it's faster and more stable at high speeds than other ram. It's your choise: buy 2Gb which is 'slower' and a bit overdone for your other software or.. buy 1Gb which is faster, maybe reach it's max. on huge projects but, it will boost your other software a bit too. Or, most perfectly, just hit the jackpot with 2Gb of CorsairTwinx [4x512 since this is faster than 2x1Gb] or 4x512Mb Kingsotn HyperX modules which are slightly cheaper and almost just as fast. I myself haven't run into projects that don't run smoothly yet and I've been up to a terrain with 3 times a 5-storey appartmentbuilding on a single siteplan. "DaleWWW" schreef in bericht news:17828945.1094651518885.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum1.autodesk.com... > We have had a rep come to our office and give us a demo. We have asked the tech that was with the rep about RAM requirements and we have looked at the required specs from Autodesk. There seems to be a discrepancy. The tech said that if we go with Revit we should upgrade all of our computers to at least 2 Gb of RAM. I have used Photoshop and 3d studio max on less ram than that and those 2 programs are real memmory hogs. > > Does Revit really need that much ram to run efficiently? What is most of you running out there? > > Thanks, > DaleWWW
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous

Working with a P4-2GHz - 1G Ram I think it's OK for small to medium projects. The problem I think is when you have to make a walkthrough or render a complex site view or RPC content.
Message 5 of 5
Anonymous

I think it depends more on complexity than size. I have a 3000sqft private residence which uses a lot more memory than 63,000 sqft school building which has more repitition and less intricate custom content. The point about rendering is also very important... Revit isn't as efficient with memory as Max or Viz when it come to renderings (but much more effiecent in wireframe, hidden line, and shaded views) "JTB" wrote in message news:413f5bf8$1_1@newsprd01... > Working with a P4-2GHz - 1G Ram > I think it's OK for small to medium projects. The problem I think is when > you have to make a walkthrough or render a complex site view or RPC > content. > > >

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report