Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revit to Ecotect via gbxml

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
themelis_d_m
1764 Views, 5 Replies

Revit to Ecotect via gbxml

Hi,

i tried to export the attached house to Ecotect via gbxml and i got the secondly attached result.

What is wrong with the window family?

I also tried IFC but it completely exploded the model.

Moreover Ecotect didn't recognised Zoning, Areas and materials because they are enterred in Greek.

Thanks in advance,

Michalis Themelis

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
alan.quinn
in reply to: themelis_d_m

Did you try swapping out your windows and using a different window type? If you are going to use Ecotect I recommend that you have two models. Make a copy of you model and dumb it down, then export to Ecotect. Also, a question to ask yourself, what are you going to use Ecotect for? Your model seems to be well developed, if you don’t like the results you see in Ecotect are you willing to make major changes to the file?

Ecotect is a great application, but one that should be used at the very onset of a project.

Hope this helps and thank you,

Message 3 of 6
themelis_d_m
in reply to: alan.quinn

Hi again!

Since last month, buiding energy consumption and energy performance regulations have applied in Greece and i try to find a proper pipeline to do this by using Revit and Ecotect.

This procedure begins at the final design process of the building since it takes into consideration walls, openings, "thermal bridges" (beams, columns, structure in general, balconies...). 

I don't know if Autodesk's dealers in Greece have informed you or  (Autodesk in general) but this regulation will apply on every new or existing building, so it's not a minor thing for us.

Some software developers round here, have released energy calculation software which accept IFC and gbxml data, but since i already have paid for Ecotect, i would firstly like to know if i can deliver my work with it.

Thanks for your time

Message 4 of 6
alan.quinn

Since your model needs to be so well developed to meet the requirements I’d say your best bet for getting usable information out of Ecotect, and to speed up the process, you should have two models. One that will remain as is and turn into your construction documents and another with all the required elements to meet regulations that you will use in Ecotect.

When you say “thermal bridges” are you referring to how adjacent rooms (zones) interact? Typically I like to remove all interior partitions and then send the model to Ecotect, but it sounds like you can’t.

In any event I believe you will be able to achieve the required analysis within the application, but you may have to do additional work to the model.  

Thank you,

Message 5 of 6
deep.singh

Hiii  !!!!

I trid to import the gbxml file in ecotect, but im facing a problem that even in the visulaization mode I am not able to locate my structural elements like columns, beams, floors, concrete based overhangs. The model initially designed in revit. While exporting the columns i didnt find any elements in ecotect using which i could have defined my columns and beams.

so, following are my major problems :-

1. how to exactly import the model using gbxml from revit TO ecotect ?

2. does ecotect understand only surfaces and not the structural elements with its specific properties ?

Message 6 of 6
alan.quinn
in reply to: deep.singh

See this link for more information. Its dated, but it still works. http://images.autodesk.com/adsk/files/building_performance_analysis_using_revit.pdf

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report