Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revit server 2012 Compatibility

14 REPLIES 14
Message 1 of 15
LisaDrago
562 Views, 14 Replies

Revit server 2012 Compatibility

So is there any compatability issues running Revit Server 2012 and Revit Arch 2011?

We were using Revit Server 2011 and Revit 2011 and had no issues - now it is Revit server 2012 and Revit 2011 and we are having all kinds of issues.

Can anyone help...

Thank you!

LD

If this helped solve your issue - remember to 'accept as solution' to help other find answers!
You can't think AutoCAD and run Revit.
Email: LisaDragoEE@gmail.com
14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
ryan.duell
in reply to: LisaDrago

By default Revit 2011 and Revit 2012 are compatible with Revit Server 2012.  Would you be able to elaborate on the issues you have been running up against?

Thank you,

Ryan Duell
Message 3 of 15
ccollins

There is a new Update Release 1 available--you might try installing it on all Local and Central Revit Servers.

You can download it here: 

http://revitclinic.typepad.com/my_weblog/

cheers

Cliff B. Collins
Registered Architect/BIM Manager
Thalden Boyd Emery Architects
St. Louis, MO
Message 4 of 15
LisaDrago
in reply to: ryan.duell

Hello Ryan - What I know is they are having syncing issues. I am a contract worker with a company working in Revit so I do not know the exact issues.

Last week I was working with them and did not have a single probelm. This week they updated to the Revit 2012 server and now no one can work. 

I was seeing if there are any general issues I may be able to suggest to help them out. They have a project due next week and they are stuck. Not a fun position to be in.

LD

If this helped solve your issue - remember to 'accept as solution' to help other find answers!
Message 5 of 15
ccollins

Lisa,

You might look here as well:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Revit-Architecture/Cannot-connect-Revit-Local-Server/td-p/308...

Sounds like an IT related connection problem, perhaps with Windows Server 2008 IIS? DNS, etc.

If all was well using RS 2011, then they installed RS 2012 and now cannot connect--did they completely uninstall RS 2011

before installing RS 2012? ( including Windows Registry on all servers ) etc.?

cheers

Cliff B. Collins
St. Louis, MO
Message 6 of 15
LisaDrago
in reply to: ccollins

Thank you for the information...

I did receive more information not sure if this helps or not...

The company I am working with is both Arch and MEP. The MEP guys can get in now and sync and all that... but as soon as the Arch gets in and sync's their model - the MEP guys can no longer sync.... 

There seems to be a lock that happens on the MEP when the Arch is open. Then no one can sync.

Does this make any sense?

LD

Message 7 of 15
ccollins

Lisa,

No--that does not make sense! Are the MEP guys and Architects in the same office / LAN / Domain?

Are you the only "satellite" worker and do you have the "Local Revit Server" and they have the "Central Revit Server"?

Are you connected via a VPN? Can the IT guys check the Ports on the firewalls mentioned in the post I sent you a link to?

cheers

Cliff B. Collins
St. Louis, MO
Message 8 of 15
ryan.duell

There may be an orphaned model level lock; I would have them verify and test the following if applicable:

Troubleshooting Model-Level Locks in Revit Server

Thank you,

Ryan Duell
Message 9 of 15
LisaDrago

Okay - we have checked your suggestion and this is what they have been doing. This is not a permanent fix - they need to do it anything in the arch model gets touched. I know I have a case with autodesk started but  I have not received any information and this company is dead in the water with only 5 working days till this project needs to go out.

I am begging for assistance.

LD

Message 10 of 15
LisaDrago

The main revit server is in California. I am working in their office locally to  me and we have a local revit server. The MEP people are in the office I am working out of along with one of the arch people the others are in CA. We are all hard wired in.

I am desperate for help!

LD

Message 11 of 15
LisaDrago

the update has been installed but did not address the issues they are having.

LD

Message 12 of 15
LisaDrago

This is a continual error we get  see image...

LD

Message 13 of 15
ryan.duell

Thank you for the update.  Based on the behavior and the “The Revit server you are trying to access is not available due to a server or network failure” error I would verify the following items:

1.  Are all users equally affected by this issue or just some users?

2.  Are the local servers virtual or physical?  If virtual ensure they at least meet the minimum Revit Server requirements below [4 GB of RAM is the bare minimum for virtual servers]:

Microsoft® Windows® Server 2008 R2 64-bit, or Microsoft® Windows® Server 2008 64-bit •           Processor with 4 or more cores and at least 2.6 GHz (6 or more cores and 3 GHz for maximum performance)
           Microsoft® Internet Information Server 7.0 (or later)
           4 GB RAM (16 GB for maximum performance)
           7,200 or more RPM hard drive (15,000 or more RPM for maximum performance)
           VMware® Support
           Microsoft® Hyper-V™ Support (must be configured to use one virtual network adapter per virtual processor)

Also if virtual, open the Task Manager on the virtual Server and verify available memory has not been exhausted in the Task Manager > Performance > Physical Memory tab

3.  On the Revit Local Server, verify the following:

-Is the Revit Server Autosync Service running in Services?

-Is the RevitServerAppPool running in the Application Pool in IIS Manager?

4.  When they installed 2012, did they keep all paths the same [such as Projects, Cache]?  Make sure the permissions are correct as mentioned previously for the Creator Owner \ Special Permissions on each folder.

5.  Are any users, when saving, checking > Synchronize and Modify Settings > Compact Central Model (Slow)?  This could potentially cause the same behavior \ error message because Revit will automatically resave any element stream that contains stale elements.  For large models, or models with deep histories this would be a high number of element streams.   When you save, Revit will upload each new stream to the local server causing the delay \ error message if other users are attempting to access the model at the same time.

6.  Specifically for when the user sees the “lock” dialog

LOCKDIALOG.png

Have the user immediately retry the same operation after it fails to complete (and consequently orphans a lock), the lock should clear – assuming that the second try completes successfully.   So if a user should fall under this condition, the best recommendation is whenever an operation fails to complete successfully, the user should immediately retry that same operation again.

Moving forward, on your support case, I would capture the following activity for additional review:

1.  Clear the current log files out [you can move the files out of the Log folder] on the Revit Server.  This will create new smaller log files.

2.  Have a user open a clean session of Revit.

3.  Perform the action that typically causes the issue, and when it occurs close Revit.

4.  Collect the journal file from the session, and the current Revit Server log files.

Thank you,

Ryan Duell
Message 14 of 15
ryan.duell

Quick related additional items of information:

If a model level .lock becomes orphaned, please also collect the .lock file.  Open the lock file with Notepad, and take note of the username at the beginning of the lock file.  Ensure to .zip and upload all of that users journal files [mentioned in the lock file] as well.

Thank you,

Ryan Duell
Message 15 of 15
LisaDrago

At this time we have had to abondon using the revit server - all the models have been pulled to the local server here and everyone is up and working. They will be flying in people who need to work on the model here to our office now.

Thank you all so much for the assistance you have given.

LD

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report