Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revit on Mac

220 REPLIES 220
SOLVED
Message 1 of 221
anader1407
105002 Views, 220 Replies

Revit on Mac

Hi why dont make  mac revit architecture I think is as important as the pc

thanks
220 REPLIES 220
Message 81 of 221
jkenmotsu
in reply to: vector2

The market share is on all business computer users or all design related business computer users? It would be nice to know what the source is.

Message 82 of 221
architects
in reply to: jeffklein

@Jeff Klein

"better" is a value judgement. The easy and unarguable response to that is, Better for what?"

I'm not an Autodesk apologist, but there are clearly some things that Revit does better than ArchiCad. I've spent a *long* time looking at the pros and cons of BIM on the Mac, and although I'm going to get Archicad, it's clear that it's not a superior application in every respect. 

Read shoegnome and you'll see this topic examined in a lot more detail. It's a recurrent theme!

Message 83 of 221
loving_cheeta
in reply to: anader1407

please provide 3ds max and revit for mac.... if i have to run 3ds max and revit on parallell windows on mac then why i am having mac.....???? architects really need these softwares..make it possible for the mac users ....

thankyou..

Message 84 of 221

In latin america windows is the standard, only use mac for PS or AE or another adobe products.

If you have mac install bootcamp and thats all.

Richard Vivanco V.
Arq. BIM Manager + Autodesk Certified Instructor
Website | Youtube | LinkedIn

EESignature

Message 85 of 221
AlDavison
in reply to: Richard.Vivanco

I have been saying this since the start of this thread. With Bootcamp, the Apple computer can start-up automatically with Windows or OSX. Parallel is not needed. OSX is nice, but just use the Windows for Rivet. ...that's it!

Message 86 of 221
architects
in reply to: AlDavison

No, that's the point, that's not it!

You are either a Windows user who knows little about the Mac, or a Mac user who is massively simplifying and understating the issues in a corporate environment.

You need to read the entire thread and see what the limitations are.

The main one being that you need to restart your machine to use other applications, and effectively lose your multitasking, or you throw away your Mac software and OS, and purchase Windows replacements for all of it. Not all of these things are immediately obviouls or straightforward. For example if you want to sign PDF forms or  append pages to PDF files, you buy more software or restart.

And then you have to purchase the OS and all the antivirus/antispyware stuff, MS Office and everything else you use.

If Revit was maybe £1000/$1500 cheaper for Mac users to cater for the cost and inconvenience, that wouldn't be acceptable, but it wouldn't be compltely and utterly unacceptable.

Message 87 of 221
GiovanniCetina
in reply to: vector2

here are a survey of architects saying what they use and prefer
90.3% MAC
7.2%Windows
2.5%dont care
Mac ove all make better portable lap tops with better display and ram built in with i7 i work at an electronic store and windows is just a cheap way of going when you still have to buy anti virus every year. Mac has taken the market in 2014 and coming to 2015 auto desk will hopefully realize thy can make bank. walk into any college and you will see most of them with mac books
Message 88 of 221
sungo87

one thing i know is , our office use mac, and we hate windows, 

and because archicad is mac based, so we choose archicad instead of revit, 

i like revit, but using windows is a pain in my ****

Message 89 of 221
xavier.alcaraz
in reply to: sungo87

Autodesk any word on updates of bringing Revit and 3DS Max to Mac. Your company has not posted any replys or anything in regards to this lately. We can go on forever of why Revit is needed on Mac. All univeristies are using Macs now in labs and studios. Can you give us some update and put some of your IT guys on Revit for mac and focus on what the consumer needs. Please listen to us, we want Revit but no viruses and we want to use Macs!

Message 90 of 221
jimbayes
in reply to: alan.quinn

Hey Alan,

Any Update on Autodesk Revit as it relates to run on the native Mac Os?   just very curious ...I'm a Mac User and a PC refugee and getting ready to laydown a chuck of change for our design office...sure wish we had some up to date feed back on this.   

Message 91 of 221
liviomatiz

Hi guys, im starting to use revit 2015 on my new macbook pro, but i have big problems ( like all of u ) with the graphic card and its acceleration. Now im running windows with parallels and vmware fusion, but i cant find a solution. I need to run windows with bootcamp to improve revit prestation?or maybe can i try to intall a second graphic card dedicated on my mac to accelerate graphic in revit in emulation mode with paralles or fusion? can u help me to find a solution?

thank u 

Message 92 of 221
omar.rahim99
in reply to: liviomatiz

It's better to download windows as a bootcamp it will make your mac use the whole specs either you use mac or windows
If u use parallel it will divide the processor , ram and the graphic card etc

Sent from my iPad
Message 93 of 221

exactly.
Message 94 of 221
CosmicRocket
in reply to: alan.quinn

3years 3 months and 17days later and it appears that we are no closer to this release.

Message 95 of 221
chrisplyler
in reply to: CosmicRocket

When did you start counting from?

Anyway, assuming it EVER happens, I'd say we're currently 3 years, 3 months and 17 days closer than we were from whenever you started counting.

Message 96 of 221
jbayes
in reply to: liviomatiz

I can't keep working like this ..dammit,  Autodesk!... at least give us an update.  When you should be giving us solutions your costing us time and money..  It's rediculous to have to use bootcamp or Parallels...we are still giving up major performance not to mention double Adobe/Microsoft Software on top of that.  I'm bitting the bullet and buying a Performance PC just to run Revit...I'm tired of being forced into disfunction...  Sheeeesssh!...just give us an update AutoDesk...something...if it is 3 years out or 10...at lease we know what is ahead...but to just  Keep Silent..is torturing your best customers.... 

Going to a PC based solution is seriously compromising quality, better hardware integration and performance not to mention forces to run Microsoft Crap Software.

We are  still waiting....or are you too snug to care.   

Tags (1)
Message 97 of 221
chrisplyler
in reply to: jbayes

What? Why are Mac users the "best" customers?

Message 98 of 221
architects
in reply to: chrisplyler

They aren't - but I don't think that's the point of the comment. I interpret it as the company being some of its best customers, rather than Mac users.

I don't see that as being remotely able to be substantiated in the slightest.

Message 99 of 221

If everyone is so precious about using ther Mac then why not just use software that's designed to work with it, like Archicad?

It's not like using a Mac is compulsory.... it's a choice you make.  Every choice you make in life will have implications and you need to live with those.

Personally I want to use Revit so I bought a computer that's designed to run it to it's full potential.  Out of all the decisions I've made it's a long way from being the most difficult one.

that said I do like Macs and if Revit was available I might well look at changing.  😉

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime."
Maimonides
Message 100 of 221
ToanDN
in reply to: jbayes

@jbayes wrote:

I can't keep working like this ..dammit,  Autodesk!... at least give us an update.  When you should be giving us solutions your costing us time and money..  It's rediculous to have to use bootcamp or Parallels...we are still giving up major performance not to mention double Adobe/Microsoft Software on top of that.  I'm bitting the bullet and buying a Performance PC just to run Revit...I'm tired of being forced into disfunction...  Sheeeesssh!...just give us an update AutoDesk...something...if it is 3 years out or 10...at lease we know what is ahead...but to just  Keep Silent..is torturing your best customers.... 

Going to a PC based solution is seriously compromising quality, better hardware integration and performance not to mention forces to run Microsoft Crap Software.

We are  still waiting....or are you too snug to care.   

Well, at least you have the options to run bootcamp and parallel.  What would a Windows user do if he wants to run MacOS emulation on his lowly, tasteless, plastic clading PC?  I guess he just drinks a full bottle of Nope.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report