in spades.

--
Bobby C. Jones
http://bobbycjones.spaces.live.com
IronDave
Message 12 of 16 (962 Views)

Re: Revit for Residential

04-21-2010 08:37 AM in reply to: IronDave
Holy smokes, I really appreciate all the replies - this is great.

dothebim_5d,

Yes, I am a perfectionist and I am freaked out about not being able to give the level of detail that I am used to and comfortable with. I was corrupted because I worked for a high-end log home company for several years and I produced shop drawings for handcrafted log structures. I knew where every rafter was going to sit, where the pitch cuts were going to be made, calculated every rough opening, labeled every drilled hole where anchor bolts were going to land etc. I don't need this in what I do know but my mind keeps going there and I can't seem to shake the need to be detailed - if it's on the plan at least I know I told them how I thought it should be and not let them decide entirely on their own so I know it will be right.

The model looks quite detailed and accurate but looking at it makes me feel like man, do I want to figure out how to make that happen ? Also I would want to monkey around and keep tweaking it. Really at the end of the day, I have to ask myself what does my client want and what do I want:
My clients want things faster, (although none of them have ever walked away because they had to wait in line), they want a 3D view and almost always they need it in color or rendered. None of which I am currently able to provide except I farm out my renderings at an additional cost. What I want is to be able to spend more creative time and less drafting time - or just speed up and make more $ in the same time. I feel like I
will be left in the dust later and I would rather lead the pack than follow it.

I attached a pdf of what I am working on this a.m. - just an elevation and a couple of sections - still a work in progress but it's what my stuff looks like and I would sure like to keep it that way - I haven't used Revit enough to even comment yet, but I fear not being able to create an elevation that looks like what I have here. Manipulating lap sifing and shakes and trims and sills etc, etc etc. Also I just know the section works when I can sneak into any part of a it and tweak it or carry lines across to my other sections etc.

Lyle

I totally hear where you are coming from - I kinda think to myself, I am going to lock myself in a room for as long as it takes and then one day I will blast out some plans with Revit and be the only guy in town doing it - I want to be the "yes I can do that" man and not the "well, I am
trying to do that, and my buddy can do the other thing for a fee" guy. I feel like I will be missing the boat if I don't do it so regardless I'm taking a 64 hour college course and I'll go from there. I do all my work with an engineer who is using Civil 3D and it would sure make his life easier to have something that would more seamlessly work with his stuff.

arch1k

That's what I fear most - spending the same amount of time to create something I am not that interested in - I don't want to sit here for hours trying to make a model that in the end doesn't look like what I want. I have enough positive replies that lead me to think that it's worth a try but my brain is still in 2D mode.

johntoddflannery

Awesome - model looks great and I'd be very pleased if I could do the same - my thing is that I have really never modeled much and I used to work in an office where we had an animator and I would watch him sit there for hours messing with 'x' this and 'y' that - it made me crazy but I loved the results. I am currently in BC but I grew up in Sarnia so I know where you are at in Niagara - great part of the country. What you said about "makes working fun again" is about all I need to hear. The course I was thinking of taking is through George Brown - have you heard anything about it?

Matt

You are 110% correct about letting go of what I am used to seeing - I though about it and when a new client walks through the door, they don't know what product to expect - they just heard I am good to work with so I should have no fear there - not like they're going to say, this looks different than what I was expecting - if it works and can be built from that's the goal - it's my creativity that sets me apart and my dedication to the success of the project, not so much the printed plans although I don't get many complaints - except for myself - I really do spend way too much time fiddling with things. I bet you 75% of the stuff I draw doesn't even get looked at or understood - sounds bad but how many times have I spent a few hours detailing a post or a connection of some kind only to get to the site and find they built it wrong or entirely different anyway.

Yesterday I realized I have to use this software - I have been a doing a lot of small multi-unit buildings - only about 6 units max but when I have to make a change to a completed drawing like a window that has to change on every elevation, plan view and section and window schedule, the chance of error is large and the time it takes me to do it is beyond ridiculous . To be able to make a single edit and have it change everywhere is like winning the lottery for me (and my clients) . I really want to blow everyone away - honestly I feel like I have a great product and care way more than any other guy in town - I want to be the best and I work hard but they are pumping stuff out with Chief Architect or something else and spending way less time and making more $ than I am. It drives me nuts especially when I know they aren't as concerned with the end product - even if they are, they are kicking my ass at the moment.

I am also getting work from their clients who are leaving the other guys due to build-ability problems with the plans - I just need to combine the two - my accuracy and concern for detail with the speed of the other guys and a better finished product - I should be unstoppable - I want to be unstoppable.

Also Bobby Jones- the repetitiveness does make me realize it may not have to be laborious every time - that's a plus !

Again, I really appreciate the insightful replies - I feel like I have a lot more motivation to make this happen now that I have heard from you guys and the ways that you think. I makes me really excited to give it a try. It's been a long road to get where I am and I want to make it faster and better.

Thanks again,
Dave
Active Contributor
DoTheBIM_5D
Message 13 of 16 (962 Views)

04-22-2010 07:27 AM in reply to: IronDave
Dave,

Seems you already knew what you had to do, Very nice work you have there... Curious how long it took to create the geometry part (less dims, text, etc.) I attached section that literally took 2 seconds to create from the model I previously attached. A little tweaking of line displays/overrides & Object style settings and you would end up with something similar to what you posted (not perfectly similar though ) For example I'm not sure how you would "break" through a railing object like you've represented on the porch. But sections and elevations are literally that easy. to create. 3D camera views in color (my colors aren't set up right)... Just as quick and easy. I litterally did not draw a 2D line to create these. And if something gets added, deleted, or moved, it's already done in these views. Renderings are somewhat of an art form in itself, playing with lighting and materials to get the look you want... But once you get things set up, you can spit out rendings like crazy. Or even produce a little video if your hardware is up to the task. So if you need what you say you need... you have no choice but to move away from your 2D world. Good luck in your quest... FWIW you're already following. better hurry up if you want to get in the lead. Also don't forget to join AUGI revit forums for a ridiculously valuable resource for help and answering questions fairly quickly.
IronDave
Message 14 of 16 (962 Views)

04-22-2010 10:34 AM in reply to: IronDave
dothebim_5d,

It took me a long time - maybe a day or more since I was drafting it line by line or inserting pre-drawn blocks etc.
and adding text etc, etc, etc. Inserting a joist and copying it 40 times, that kind of thing.

I'm already following - you're right there, I have been cruising through peoples blogs seeing what they are doing and
I realize I gotta start running to catch up, but at least now I know :smileyhappy:

Thanks for showing me the cross section !

Dave
AndyNH
Message 15 of 16 (857 Views)

01-02-2011 01:54 PM in reply to: IronDave

Hi IronDave,

I'm in the same boat.  Very comfortable using CAD,  but see the value in Revit.  I'd like to know if you found have excellent resources for making the transition in the residential genre?  I found the book, "Residential Design Using Revit Architecture 2011" to be a great introduction.

I'm currently on the cusp of transitioning from ARRIS and SketchUp to Revit Architecture on a current project.  There a few holes that I need to fill before a can make the jump (stepped footings, tapered shingle-clad arches, and  dormers).

-AndyNH

lakeland1
Message 16 of 16 (151 Views)

01-28-2014 04:17 PM in reply to: IronDave

I did the same thing , finally purchased the premium package and am loving it. It takes alittle getting used to but if you have been doing Cadd drawing it will be easier.

JOHN H.
Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.