Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revit file size ... what's a normal range?

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
terl_b
3104 Views, 3 Replies

Revit file size ... what's a normal range?

What is considered a normal file size in Revit? Is there a point where it becomes very sluggish? A target size one shouldn't exceed?

So far I've seen files in the 50-110Mb range.

How about everyone else?
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: terl_b

The file size does not necessarily tell the whole story. A well modeled dile can be larger, but respond better than a poorly done model that is actually a smaller file size. That said I have worked on files in the 250 meg range, with 6 to 10 people in them without serious degradation of the file response.
Message 3 of 4
terl_b

Thanks Scott.

In my previous office, the file was around 110Mb but was a mishmash of revit & cad (lots of linked details), and was sooo slow to load (sometimes up to 15mins loading all the linked files) or when saving to central that it drove us crazy. The file we're working on now is about 80Mb with up to 4 people on it, and is running smoothly so far. We're about 80% done, so I'm optimistic that it's not going to degrade too much.

TB
Message 4 of 4
Anonymous

What you described is really the issue. Linking in, or even worse, importing a buch od CAD files is the best way I know to kill a project's performance. I have a grand total of 4 CAD files linked into my current peoject, and two of the four are "unloaded" 90% of the time. Thus there are only 2 active AutoCAD files in my entire project. This will allow anywhere from 50 to 100 meg larger files with a lot less performance hit. I've seen 30 to 40 meg files with 100 or CAD links and imports that ran and loaded slower that a 200 meg file without the CAD files.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report