Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revit file from Autodesk Seek

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
rimutaka
1136 Views, 6 Replies

Revit file from Autodesk Seek

Hi,

I am a newbie to Revit.

I found a Revit family file from Autodesk Seek and I don't know how to use / insert it to my existing drawing.

Can someone explain to me?

Thanks

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
L.Maas
in reply to: rimutaka

In Autodesk Seek download the Revit family (with extension .rfa) to a local folder on your computer.

In Revit open your project. Go to the tab "Insert", then button "Load Family".

Go to the folder where you downloaded the family, select it and open the family.

Then you can find that family in the project browser.

Louis

EESignature

Please mention Revit version, especially when uploading Revit files.

Message 3 of 7
rimutaka
in reply to: L.Maas

Hi,

Thanks.

This file is located under folder "Generic Models". Is it possible to move this file to another folder?

Thanks

Message 4 of 7
L.Maas

I am not sure what you mean.

If you mean that the family/file is located somewhere in a folder on your harddrive. In that case location is not relevant. As soon as you load a family in your project it will be part of that project file.

However if you mean in the project browser of your project, then it is entirely different. All families insde revit belong to a certain category. You will have to edit that family to get it to belong to a different category. However certain categories have certain properties so you would need to understand family design and family behaviour before attempting this kind of work.

I would like to advise to first become more familiar with projects and placing/using families before attempting to start designing and modifying those families.

Louis

EESignature

Message 5 of 7
rimutaka

Hi Enllnt,

When I downloaded this Revit family file from Autodesk Seek, it went to folder " Generic Models" in project browser.

Is it possible to move this file to folder, for an example folder " Doors" that is still in the same project browser?

Thanks

Message 6 of 7
L.Maas

Ok. It is the second point  I described in my email.

Yes....theoretically this would be possible. However it would in many  cases make no sense. The family you downloaded was designed to be a "generic model". During the design of a family you as designer will have to decide in which category your family is going to belong. Some behaviour might depend on the category you choose.

So in some cases it makes no sense to change the category like putting a chair in the doors category. In other cases you might want to change the category depending on your (companies) workflow like putting an underbench cupboard in the casework or in the furniture category.

As revit "understands" typical use of certain objects it is best to place the families in the right categories or in the ones closely matching the category.

As you mention in your first post you are a newbie (we all have been there). The subject you touch, families & categories are at the core of Revit. It is important to get the concept of Revit to understand/appreciate how to work with it. Therefore I would advice to do watch some (basic/introduction) tutorials or pick up a revit book. Many tutorials can be found on the autodesk website and on youtube.

Louis

EESignature

Message 7 of 7
rimutaka

Thanks

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report