Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revit doesn't use my gpu for rendering at all

12 REPLIES 12
SOLVED
Message 1 of 13
kwikscopeguy
27261 Views, 12 Replies

Revit doesn't use my gpu for rendering at all

I have an intel 3570k cpu and an nvidia gtx 670 gpu, and it only uses my gpu for the 3d clview, but when it renders photos, it only uses my cpu, which makes rendering take so much longer. Is there any way around this?

i5 3570k@4.4ghz gtx 670, 8gb ddr3 1600mhz
12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
ccollins
in reply to: kwikscopeguy

Revit uses a version of the Mental Ray render engine, which only uses the CPU for rendering.

This is because it is a raytrace rendering app.

3dsMax has the ability to use the GPU when you render with I-Ray.

Revit does not have this ability.

Cliff B. Collins
Registered Architect/BIM Manager
Thalden Boyd Emery Architects
St. Louis, MO
Message 3 of 13
DarrenP
in reply to: ccollins

you could also use the cloud rendering option

DarrenP
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 4 of 13
kwikscopeguy

I theare any way I could use a different engine for rendering, because I don't really lik the cloud rendering options
Message 5 of 13
DarrenP

not really without a third party add in if there are any for rendering in revit

DarrenP
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 6 of 13
kwikscopeguy
in reply to: DarrenP

I'll have to look around for one

Message 7 of 13
arnel01

Just in addition... if you are using 3ds for rendering with the GPU make sure you buy a Nvidia card, because it will use the Cuda Cores. Im purchased the ATI fire pro W5000 because the benchmark is higher than the QUADRO 4000, but 3DS does not uset the ATI for GPU render. 

Also the same proble occurs with Octane Render. 

Have fun rendering

Message 8 of 13
Sæmorr

Thanks for letting us know. It's a pity that it can't use the GPU, because latest laptops with 10-series from nVidia will do great renderings, where CPUs are much more limited.
Message 9 of 13
arnel01

Recommendation, try to adquiere V-Ray Revit Beta. For the moment is free to try. It works as an add on, it utilizes the nVidia Cuda Cores and it keeps the RPC. Octane Render utilizes the Cuda Cores but does not keep the RPC's.
Message 10 of 13
Sæmorr

At present date, if I have a Dell XPS 9560 with nVidia 1050 graphics card, can I use that GPU to render the walkthroughs? Or I am still limited to using the CPU?

There's related information in this blog, but not sure if applies :

Revit 2016's New Physical-Realistic Rendering Engine

Message 11 of 13
ToanDN

It uses the GPU for live walkthroughs but not for exporting them to animations or image sequences.
Message 12 of 13
joeyclark.home
in reply to: ToanDN

Does anyone here know if Revit 2020 is able to render images with a GPU instead of CPU?  Not sure if anything changed with the new update or not.  This would save me a lot of time.

Message 13 of 13

It seems that now Revit only provides an enhanced realistic view which uses gpu to render. But the quality is limited. So you'd better consider some other rendering plugins, such as Enscape, Lumion or Vray.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report