Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revit and working with an Archicad firm - Sharing file

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
jraesly
2385 Views, 7 Replies

Revit and working with an Archicad firm - Sharing file

Here is the scenario:  Two architects working on one building.  Architect #1 is a Revit firm, Architect #2 is a Archicad firm. Both will be working on the same building.  (This sounds like I'm telling a joke "Two architects enter a bar....)

I know about IFC files but how will this work if both firms need to make modifications in the same model.  There is no "central file" that both can work from and see the other firms updates.  They both need to have control of the model elements.  It isn't like an architect working with a structural consultant because the engineers model contains seperate model elements and can easily be linked into the architects model.  But if you need to work on the same elements, but are on two seperate plateforms, I'm not sure if this is possible. 

Any suggestions, comments or workarounds would be appreciated.  I couldn't find anything in any searches for this scenario.

Tags (3)
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Alfredo_Medina
in reply to: jraesly

If it is just one building (not a project with different buildings that you could assign to different teams), I don't see a way to do that. What is possible is that you do coordination between different models made with different programs, in Navisworks. But the actual design development and modeling has to happen in each platform, Revit or Archicad, one at a time. IFC and DWG files could be used as a reference of the other project, only, but are not intended for doing further modeling, and certainly not for doing any simultaneous collaboration.

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 3 of 8
jraesly
in reply to: Alfredo_Medina

The only way I can see this happening is if the building model (it is one building) has a physical seperation line.  Architect 1 handles the renovation of the existing building while Architect 2 completes the addition to the building.  Or one does the shell and the other handles the interior space.   That way the two firms don't commingle in the same area of the model.

Message 4 of 8
Alfredo_Medina

Even as you are suggesting, there would be issues creating correct section views, since the two projects will not be in their native format, and sections may not work as expected. Just to mention one issue that comes to mind.

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 5 of 8
jraesly

I think we would take the IFC file and start a new project file and import it there.  Then link that revit project file into the working project.  That way it would show up properly in sections.  I am sure there would be other issues.  It is, by far, not an ideal situation.  I just don't know if I can make it work they way they want it to work.  

Message 6 of 8
Chris.Aquino

I am not aware of a solution that will let both users edit elements in the same project. Using IFC for 3d elements, and DWGs to coordinate documentation may be your best bet.

Chris Aquino
Adoption Marketing Manager | BIM Collaborate Pro
@Aquinotecture

Message 7 of 8
jraesly
in reply to: Chris.Aquino

Thanks for the comments.  Any workarounds would be appreciated.  

Seeing that it is impossible to have a shared "central file" structure between two different software platforms, I am suggesting to the project manager that they do one of the following:

1. A physical separation of the building model.  Where both architects stake out a physical part of the building (exterior skin vs. inteior) or something where the two will not overlap.  They will be able to share back and forth updated IFC files but they won't have any impact on each other.  I know, not how I would want to work either)

OR

2. A phased separation.  Architect 1 bring the entire model up to LOD 100 and then Architect 2 takes the IFC file and imports and corrects the data from that point and completes the documents.

Message 8 of 8
kmdarst

No more speculation needed here. I'm currently experiencing it in real life.

I'm doing fire alarm design on a project where there are 2 architectural firms working in a 5 story building, one using Revit, one using ArchiCAD.

The two models never agree, there are always walls mismatched, ceilings being deleted, furniture plans disagreeing, and room tags disappearing. The IFC file has gotten so bad that it takes 25 minutes to load.

Just like OP said, "Simultaneous Collaboration" between Revit and ArchiCAD is a complete nightmare and should be avoided at all costs.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report