Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revit and 3ds Max

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
mike_key
648 Views, 4 Replies

Revit and 3ds Max

I just upgraded to the Building Design Suite that includes 3ds Max. My question is whether I can use 3ds Max to create the 3d elements of my Revit families I create?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
ccollins
in reply to: mike_key

The default answer is no. 3dsMax generates meshes that are not "BIM" aware/intelligent.

However, you CAN import them by saving to AutoCad or some other formats such as Sketchup-- but once in Revit

they are only "dumb" objects and are pretty useless. They can be "traced over" in Revit's Conceptual Massing environment

and turned into Masses, and then the faces of the Mass can be converted to Revit floors, roofs, walls, curtain systems, etc.

The intended workflow is to MODEL in Revit, then export to FBX and Link into 3dsMax for renderings and animations.

cheers

Cliff B. Collins
Registered Architect/BIM Manager
Thalden Boyd Emery Architects
St. Louis, MO
Message 3 of 5
mike_key
in reply to: ccollins

That is pretty much what I figured. Thank you for your responce. My company has done commercial foodservice design for Thalden before on a project or two.

Message 4 of 5
ccollins

Mike,

We had spoken about Revit and Food Service Consulting some time ago.

Send me an email and I'll reply back--might possibly have some new work for you in the near future?

Cliff Collins

ccollins@thalden.com

Cliff B. Collins
Registered Architect/BIM Manager
Thalden Boyd Emery Architects
St. Louis, MO
Message 5 of 5
swiser

can someone please tell me more about this tracing over process? Is there someplace I can see how this is done?

We have a lot of Cad furniture models that need to be recreated in Revit.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report