Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revit Viewer?

14 REPLIES 14
Message 1 of 15
Anonymous
11384 Views, 14 Replies

Revit Viewer?

Hello,

I'm wondering if there is a viewer utility which can just show your files, like the CADviewer, but for revit?

Cheers
14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Export as a DWF... you will not be sorry! other then that you can view your
Revit model in the demo of Revit.

wrote in message news:5349387@discussion.autodesk.com...
Hello,

I'm wondering if there is a viewer utility which can just show your files,
like the CADviewer, but for revit?

Cheers
Message 3 of 15
Anonymous

The free version of Revit (demo mode) allows you to view, print, and export revit files.

wrote in message news:5349387@discussion.autodesk.com...
Hello,

I'm wondering if there is a viewer utility which can just show your files, like the CADviewer, but for revit?

Cheers
Message 4 of 15
Anonymous

Thanks very much!
Have a nice day! 🙂
Message 5 of 15
jeff_howard1

Exporting is no longer an option for some reason. This just gives us one more reason not to suggest revit to our clients. They will have to buy a full version of revit to make any use of the design information.
Message 6 of 15
bward

Hi Jeff,

If you prefer to stick with CAD, you could always export both 2D and 3D files in DWG format which could be viewed in a CAD viewer.

Brian
Message 7 of 15
Anonymous

Revit can run in deom mode without a license. Yo0u can review models all
you want. The only thing you can do is print or save any changes, otherwise
the demo version can do EXACTLY the same things a licensed version of Revit
can. Have your clients download and install Revit from the Autodesk
website.

--
Jeff Hanson
SME (Subject Matter Expert)
Autodesk - BIM UX
Manchester, NH

wrote in message
news:6294132@discussion.autodesk.com...
Exporting is no longer an option for some reason. This just gives us one
more reason not to suggest revit to our clients. They will have to buy a
full version of revit to make any use of the design information.
Message 8 of 15
tl-arch

What File format is used to be viewed on the Revit Viewer?
Message 9 of 15
tl-arch

qq
Message 10 of 15
jeff_howard1

The Demo version Can NOT Export....

If you have ever opened Revit in Demo Mode you will notice that under the demo version description it states that you can export. All I am saying is that Autodesk needs to change the text on the "Product and License Information" screen

See attached.

If a client needs to be able to give fully editable CAD files to a future architect, vendor or contractor and Revit files were the only thing that was issued to them at project closeout, they will need to have a full version of Revit in order to export to DWG.
Message 11 of 15
doug

Export to DWF
Message 12 of 15
jeff_howard1

Does no one understand the term "Fully Editable CAD file". Most clients in the world of architecture require "editable CAD" files at the end of projects so that they can pass on to future Architects for future expansions or modifications of the building. DWF files are nowhere near good enough when you are making additions or modifications to existing buildings. There is to much inforamtioin that is lost. Also who wants to take the time to trace over and recreate CAD information from a DWF overlay that may or may not have the ability to snap to the DWF geometry.
Message 13 of 15
FrankPeters_McCarthy

Using Revit in Demo Mode you -cannot- export DWF if the Revit file was created in a work sharing environment. This is another Revit undocumented feature.
Message 14 of 15
sforsberg215

The Autodesk website states that the Revit demo version can be used as a viewer.

However, after 30 days one will only be able to view the project. After 30 days there is no ability to print sheets or anything else from the project. You will need the full version of Revit to print.

So, what does one do when there are people in the office who only need to print sheets occasionally? Ask someone with the full version of Revit to make PDF's so sheets can be printed by anyone.

Message 15 of 15
Milt-Fitz

I know this post is several years old and just maybe it needs to be looked at again.

I just asked on the "Break-Room" Forum to see if there is any new interest on this topic:

Regarding: "BIM / Revit Viewers"

Just a quick question to anyone in the forum including Autodesk personnel…

Are there any BIM / Revit Viewers out there, or in development for “non-users”?

I know if anyone needs a version of the software, in a pinch, they could just get a free trial provided the computer they’re using can handle the software. I’m talking specifically about a person (like in marketing) that really do not have a need for the full blown program, or just needs to view a file and print it to do some presentation, estimating or whatever.

This is something Autodesk might want to look at since BIM is starting to take hold of the industry.

Just my humble opinion...

Milt Fitzgerald (a.k.a. Drafter1981)
Siemens Industries (Full-Time Office Position)
Fitz’ Digital Cad Service L.L.C. (Consulting Business)
https://sites.google.com/site/fitzdigitalcadservice/

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report