Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revit Template Files - their practical benefits

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
smarcumx
1047 Views, 1 Reply

Revit Template Files - their practical benefits

This is a question that is simulataneously technical - what? - and best practice based - why?.

Technical: What is the difference between the following workflows:

1) Setup a .rvt file and treat it as a template.  When a new project is started, that .rvt file is opened and then "Saved As" in its proper project folder.

2) Perform the arduous task of creating an office standard .rte file and setting that as the default template file.

Best Practice may be answered in the respose to the first question, but in my (limited knowledge) I see no difference between the two except that the former allows office standard worksets to be enabled, i.e. it is actually advantageous.  If it is advantageous in that regard, then on what pretense is the template file creation the preferred practice?  In other words, what is so great about a custom template file and why is it preferred to one .rvt file with all families, patterns, sheets, worksets etc. loaded...and blank?

Thanks!

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
creed
in reply to: smarcumx

I think the short answer is, either one....providing everyone is using the same template or revit file to start projects off.

We use a template.  It is a great way to jump off with a standard project.  Worksets are something we don't utilize enough (my opinoin) so we don't have a workset enabled project as a standard way to start a project model.

We have taken projects that we made standards and productivity changes during the couse of working on our model, saved it to a template file.  Its automatically empty and has all the setup ready for the next project.

Hope this helps,

Craig

Craig Reed
CAD/BIM Administrator
Hanson Professional Services Inc.
Springfield, IL

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report