Hey, I was wondering if anyone has had the same error message when using Revit 2011, it was working fine until a couple of days ago and then every time I open up a Project it appears to load it but then stops and a message pops up saying "Encountered an improper argument". This is a real pain as I can't open up anything apart from a new project.
I even tried to be cheeky and open up a new project and load in a family i was trying to develop and open it up through the new project (which worked! ) but when i tried to save it came up with the same message, I tried again to save and Revit told me that a fatal error had occurred and needed to close giving me the option to save a recovery (which it won't let me do either!?!?! )
If anyone has had this before and knows a get around please let me know as I can't exactly use Revit 2010 to open up anything either! How silly is that?
"Encountered an improper argument" is actually a Microsoft error message, so you might want to try checking out the Microsoft forums for any updates or patches necessary.
Please let us know what you find out!
I encountered this same error while working In revit architecture 2011. Turns out if you pull the tool bars off the ribbion along with moving the project browser and properties dialog out of the revit window onto to another monitor, this error occurs.
Found I had to pull the "Encountered an improper argument" window over to the other monitor(out of the Model view), close it and close the Project browser, the Properties Dialog, and all the tool bars.
Once that was done I had to avoid the drawing/model space, hover the cusor over to the Windows 7 taskbar and close the Revit program window from there. This allows the revit profile to restart as its defualt.
I don't believe this is a Windows error. Seems more like poor scripting Autodesk...
I have found a workaround for this..
Find your "Revit.ini" file; located in C:\Users\<your name>\AppData\Roaming\Autodesk\Revit\Autodesk Revit Architecture 2012\.. (the last folder obivously specific to your install version).
Make sure Revit is closed and delete this file.
When you restart Revit, the profile will be reset and should work good as new!!
(I think the actual issue has something to do with the 'Recent Files' memory, so by deleting this file it erases the recent file list and all goes back to normal)