Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revit Server 2012 - Slow First Open Speed

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
GraemePadgham5812
1392 Views, 7 Replies

Revit Server 2012 - Slow First Open Speed

Hi,

I have setup a Revit Server Network, with a Central Server, and Local Servers in my office, all works fine.

Local Syncs were taking 5 seconds or so, instead of 30 seconds over the WAN, (Albeit my london office is close and 100mbit connection to our datacentre where the central server is.)

So i installed a second local server in our edinburgh office, worked fine, local sync was again less than 10 seconds.

Wonderful, thought it has solved all my slow sync from remote sites with slow WAN;s.

But now my model takes forever to open each time i start revit, about 5 minutes!!, the main model is 40MB in size, and has 3 revit links of around 60MB each, all files are workshared and stored in the same place on the revit server.

Does anyone know the reason why the initial open takes forever now with the inclusion of a second local server on the network?, prior to this everything was very quick.

Once the model has loaded after 5 mins, the sync to central takes 5 seconds again, and behaves, but if i shut revit, reopen and open the localf ile, it then takes 5 mins again.

This has gone backwards!

Thanks

Graeme

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Graeme - Have you received an answer for your issue?

We are having a similar issue between our Central server and Local servers but with much larger file sizes.  We have a 160mb model that takes 10min. to load from the Central server and 40min. to load from the Local servers.  If the files are synced each minute in the cashe of the Local server, then why wouldn't we get load times that would be much closer to load times from the Central server?

We have a 10mb pipe from the Central office with 3mb from each local office.  Not seeing much latency in the connection.

Thanks...

Gene

Message 3 of 8
parveen.revit
in reply to: Gene-MEE

you should get some tips about better model management and may require to change way or working.

Small tips can help to reduce/maintain model size.

Parveen_Intec_Infocom (BIM, CAD, GIS, QS Services' Provider)
Message 4 of 8

Hi,

Ive been doing a lot of testing with local offices in UK and also our Shanghai office on both 2012 and 2013 server.

It appears that Revit server 2012 behaves bad with high latencys (excess of 200ms)

Revit server 2013 is doing ok, i think autodesk changed the way it works.

We have given up with RS 2012 for Shanghai, even with Riverbed running it just errors all the time, crashing revit, long sync times etc.

must admit though, we have a 400MB in total model (3 or 4 linked files) 120MB main file, running in 2013 and so far its not crashed or given any errors when connecting or syncing to the revit server from shanghai.

We are monitoring performance, so will keep you posted.

Message 5 of 8

Hi,

I am also looking at having to split modes more into pieces to allow for revit server and remote sites.

some of out jobs are difficuly to split, but we may end up having multiple models for each MEP service.

The large files we cant split are files we recieve from architects and structural engineers, escpecially ifc imports (these make the model huge),

so theres no way we canm split someone elses model.

and you try convincing a local strucutral engineer using tekla to split their model just cos we want to use a cheap shangahi resource!!!!

Message 6 of 8
Gene-MEE
in reply to: parveen.revit

Parveen, We do split our models between disciplines are areas. This is just a huge project. The intent of my message is that no matter the size of the project, response time between the Central server and Local server are quite substantial. Gene
Message 7 of 8

I'm probably a bit late to the party, but did anyone got anything back from Autodesk regarding this slow loading time?

Message 8 of 8

This all a scam by Autodesk to Push you to give them more & more money for yet another subscription.  They have blatantly hindered the Revit server application to force people into subscribing for BIM360 outrageously priced annual subscription.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report