Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revit Newbie - Levels & Link Problems.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
6470 Views, 4 Replies

Revit Newbie - Levels & Link Problems.

Hi All, 

I believe I have a unique problem as 8 hours later, i still don't have an answer, so its time to post! 

So the problem is I am linking a site model into my building model.

I am linking Auto center

I am not using shared coordinates.

The problem is when i link the site into the building, the levels do not match. 

In my building model, I have 2 levels, level 1 - 0.0m and level 2 - 8.0m. 

In my site model, I have the same 2 levels. 

If i link my site into the model at level 1, the site levels in section, do not align to the levels in the building. The site is higher. If i insert at level 2, it still doesnt align and the difference in height, is different again. likewise for inserting  in the site view.

What has happened to the building file to cause this? 

Default OTB behaviour is if you link one file into the other, regardless at what level, the level heights will align. 

I hope this is clear, I really could use any help and will try anything to solve this problem.

I am looking to reverse engineer this problem though, so the file behaves as per OTB. I am not after a work around. I believe this way I will better understand how Revit uses its coordinates system.

Thanks in advance for any assistance. 

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
LisaDrago
in reply to: Anonymous

The fix I have used is to align the linked model level with your project level and then pin in place so I don't move it accidentally.

Rarely, if ever,  do I get models to link in to the exact same location. The Align command worse great!

I do not use shared coordinates when linking - thay may solve the issue. I do not have a lot of experience in that.

LD

If this helped solve your issue - remember to 'accept as solution' to help other find answers!
You can't think AutoCAD and run Revit.
Email: LisaDragoEE@gmail.com
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: LisaDrago

Hi LD, thanks for the input. That surprises me though as the default state is for links to insert in the correct location relative to the project file coordinates. 

I was going to align the model, but I was taught that i should never do this? It may be something I revert to doing though If i can not find the answer im looking for.

D.

Message 4 of 5
bimandict

Hi,

Could you tell us why you are linking the site in to the building model please?

My first thought on this post is that the building should be linked in to the site if anything. Generally this is done for the setting up of shared Coordinates.

The building, in the building model, should never be moved or alligned to anything as you are working  at or very close to 0,0,0 in the Revit environment. As you are modeling away the coordinates doesnt matter in the building, its just like a factory environment where the building is put together.

If you need any reference material for the purpouse of modelling correctly you should use surveys etc that has been processed for Revit use i.e. cleaned, rotated and moved to Zero befor linked in to the building model.

Elevation levels matching the real above sea level is sorted out in the site model once you link the building in to it before the real GEO coordinates are Published (I tend to use publish) to the building.

Regards,

Jimi

Regards,

Jimi Clarke

BIM Manager - London
Microsoft Cloud Services Partner
Message 5 of 5
Anonymous

Make sure when you link the revit file based on "orgin to orgin" instead of "center to center"

This is the best way to solve.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report