Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revit Newbie - Filter not appying within In-Place family

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
damo3
677 Views, 2 Replies

Revit Newbie - Filter not appying within In-Place family

Hi All, 

It is normal behaviour for Revit not to apply a filter to a family within an in-place family?

For example: 

I have an in-place family, with an extruded custom component and I have also inserted a family component (lets call this FAMILY 1, simply an extrusion previously created). 

My filters finds the family name "FAMILY 1" and applies a cut colour I have selected under visibility graphics.

I have the same component family "FAMILY 1" inserted in the floor plan, next to my in-place family. (NOT nested) I know the filter works because it applies itself to "FAMILY 1", but the same "FAMILY 1" nested in the in-place family, does not pick up the cut filter properties.

Categories are the same.

Normal, or I am I missing something? If normal, any suggested work arounds? 

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
Alfredo_Medina
in reply to: damo3

It is normal when the family that is inserted in the Model in-place object is not shared; that is why when you finish the in-place, that "family 1" cannot be detected by the filter. For this to work as you were expecting, "family 1" needs to be set as "shared" in the family editor, and then loaded back into the project. Since you are new to Revit, this might sound a little confusing for you, but that's how Revit works.

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 3 of 3
damo3
in reply to: damo3

Thanks Alfredo, I since found the solution to this ( I should of come back and posted the answer) but what you have explained is spot on. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report