Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revit & Max 6

14 REPLIES 14
Message 1 of 15
Anonymous
252 Views, 14 Replies

Revit & Max 6

Currently, I am the CAD manager for a firm that uses ADT 2I and I will be rolling out ADT 2004 in the next week or so. Now, before I am chastised for using ADT, this thread is not a comparison of ADT and Revit. What I need to know is how well Revit interacts with 3D Studio MAX 6. In addition to our ADT stations, we have a graphics department consisting of 13 MAX stations. Most of our projects are "recreated" in MAX for presentation to the client. I am very interested in testing REVIT for future use in our firm. Re-training our staff is an obstacle, but I can get over that one. However, if REVIT and MAX do not play nicely together, it will unfortunately eliminate it from consideration. Please give me any information possible.
14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Revit makes a nice model. The objects export well to DXF/DWG and then of course into Max/Viz. I know several firms that have aquired Revit just as a fatser model building tool for Viz. Revit aslo leaves the internal planes behind making for what is in my experiance a lighter model than ADT. "lovejoyb20" wrote in message news:33327761.1080082588179.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum1.autodesk.com... > Currently, I am the CAD manager for a firm that uses ADT 2I and I will be rolling out ADT 2004 in the next week or so. Now, before I am chastised for using ADT, this thread is not a comparison of ADT and Revit. What I need to know is how well Revit interacts with 3D Studio MAX 6. In addition to our ADT stations, we have a graphics department consisting of 13 MAX stations. Most of our projects are "recreated" in MAX for presentation to the client. I am very interested in testing REVIT for future use in our firm. Re-training our staff is an obstacle, but I can get over that one. However, if REVIT and MAX do not play nicely together, it will unfortunately eliminate it from consideration. Please give me any information possible.
Message 3 of 15
Anonymous

lovejoyb20, This is what I am currently aware of. - Revit can save to DWG and DGN files - 3ds max 6 does not support DGN files - 3ds max 6 can read in ADT 2004 and ADT 2005 files. - VIZ 2005 (soon to be released) supports file linking between ADT 2004 and ADT 2005 files. - 3ds max 6 has an upcoming extension (http://tinyurl.com/2f4oh) where file linking will be supported between ADT 2004 and ADT 2005 files. - I don't know if the DWG file that is saved from Microstation/Triforma and Revit saves objects as Walls, Doors, Slabs, etc. that are treated as instances as far as material propagation goes. - Revit includes AccuRender - ADT 2004 and ADT 2005 include VIZ Render hth, jim
Message 4 of 15
Anonymous

I would have thought that Revit would export a 3D view as 3D faces or even solids, but what I get when I test is POLYLINES. EEEEW... Even if it did it as 3D Faces, I wouldn't want to work with that in VIZ or MAX, but POLYLINES? No way. Unless there's some setting that I don't know about (there very well could be) that allows exporting a 3D view as something... well... renderable... I'd stick to the Accurender engine inside of Revit. -- Matt Dillon Autodesk Discussion Forum Facilitator "James D. Smell, AIA [Autodesk]" wrote in message news:4060f60b$1_1@newsprd01... > lovejoyb20, > > This is what I am currently aware of. > - Revit can save to DWG and DGN files > - 3ds max 6 does not support DGN files > - 3ds max 6 can read in ADT 2004 and ADT 2005 files. > - VIZ 2005 (soon to be released) supports file linking between ADT 2004 and > ADT 2005 files. > - 3ds max 6 has an upcoming extension (http://tinyurl.com/2f4oh) where file > linking will be supported between ADT 2004 and ADT 2005 files. > - I don't know if the DWG file that is saved from Microstation/Triforma and > Revit saves objects as Walls, Doors, Slabs, etc. that are treated as > instances as far as material propagation goes. > - Revit includes AccuRender > - ADT 2004 and ADT 2005 include VIZ Render > > hth, > jim > >
Message 5 of 15
Anonymous

You should be getting 3D faces. Not sure why you are getting polylines. Are you getting any 3D faces? I hope for 3D solids on export in the future, faces still don't cut it in my opinion. Any curved surface triangulates terribly as a 3D face. I'm sure interoperability with other Adesk products is a pretty high priority, so lets hope for a 3DS out in a future release. "Matt Dillon" wrote in message news:4060faa3_2@newsprd01... > I would have thought that Revit would export a 3D view as 3D faces or even > solids, but what I get when I test is POLYLINES. > > EEEEW... > > Even if it did it as 3D Faces, I wouldn't want to work with that in VIZ or > MAX, but POLYLINES? No way. > > Unless there's some setting that I don't know about (there very well could > be) that allows exporting a 3D view as something... well... renderable... > I'd stick to the Accurender engine inside of Revit. > > -- > Matt Dillon > Autodesk Discussion Forum Facilitator > > "James D. Smell, AIA [Autodesk]" wrote in message > news:4060f60b$1_1@newsprd01... > > lovejoyb20, > > > > This is what I am currently aware of. > > - Revit can save to DWG and DGN files > > - 3ds max 6 does not support DGN files > > - 3ds max 6 can read in ADT 2004 and ADT 2005 files. > > - VIZ 2005 (soon to be released) supports file linking between ADT 2004 > and > > ADT 2005 files. > > - 3ds max 6 has an upcoming extension (http://tinyurl.com/2f4oh) where > file > > linking will be supported between ADT 2004 and ADT 2005 files. > > - I don't know if the DWG file that is saved from Microstation/Triforma > and > > Revit saves objects as Walls, Doors, Slabs, etc. that are treated as > > instances as far as material propagation goes. > > - Revit includes AccuRender > > - ADT 2004 and ADT 2005 include VIZ Render > > > > hth, > > jim > > > > > >
Message 6 of 15
Anonymous

James D. Smell, AIA [Autodesk] a écrit : > lovejoyb20, > > This is what I am currently aware of. > - Revit can save to DWG and DGN files > - 3ds max 6 does not support DGN files > - 3ds max 6 can read in ADT 2004 and ADT 2005 files. > - VIZ 2005 (soon to be released) supports file linking between ADT 2004 and > ADT 2005 files. > - 3ds max 6 has an upcoming extension (http://tinyurl.com/2f4oh) where file > linking will be supported between ADT 2004 and ADT 2005 files. > - I don't know if the DWG file that is saved from Microstation/Triforma and > Revit saves objects as Walls, Doors, Slabs, etc. that are treated as > instances as far as material propagation goes. > - Revit includes AccuRender > - ADT 2004 and ADT 2005 include VIZ Render > > hth, > jim > > hello what can say after some test ? REvit export in DWG 2004 (revit 5.1 ... 6.1 internationnal not out for moment 😞 ) Max5 and Max 6 can import it easy ... and all objets are separeted in layer ... so mapper objet is not a difficulty ... some problems appears : -Sometimes windows or other parametric objetc are imported in only one object.. (you must mapper face of object!!) - added profill in wall not very good export (surface not plane) - so ... not a direct export to MAX6 or other 3D stuufs softwares (no OBJ format or .3DS format export possible) i think that Autodesk develop more ADT actually ... but a little time can necessary for Revit update and integrated in other autodesk software... so .. what we want for now ? - can import any 3D object (from others 3D softwares) and explode it (actually can only import DWG 3D and we can separe the object) (and DWG 3D not render correctly in cut plane or elevation plane...) - export format (OBJ or other 3D format...) - can export all 2D plans in EPS or Vectorial format (for exemple actually only 2d plan can be exported in PDF vectorial, elevation plan and cut plane exported in PDF raster (bitmap) - VizRender integrate in Revit (accurender is good but old and not very quickly!!!) - can export easy to MAX6/VIZ6, for render in other 3D core render (Brazil, FinalRender or V-ray and Mental-ray (not my choice!!)) so .. it's a french complaint !! have a good day N. icq : 18980079
Message 7 of 15
Anonymous

should be getting polygons... which are just fine and a lot nicer than the acad/3ds/max triangulated surfaces. (and interchangable if you find yourself a dxf converter, there is polylines, polygons and triangulated dxf.. not to mentions the acad2002/2004 own dxf versions) "Matt Dillon" wrote in message news:4060faa3_2@newsprd01... > I would have thought that Revit would export a 3D view as 3D faces or even > solids, but what I get when I test is POLYLINES. > > EEEEW... > > Even if it did it as 3D Faces, I wouldn't want to work with that in VIZ or > MAX, but POLYLINES? No way. > > Unless there's some setting that I don't know about (there very well could > be) that allows exporting a 3D view as something... well... renderable... > I'd stick to the Accurender engine inside of Revit. > > -- > Matt Dillon > Autodesk Discussion Forum Facilitator > > "James D. Smell, AIA [Autodesk]" wrote in message > news:4060f60b$1_1@newsprd01... > > lovejoyb20, > > > > This is what I am currently aware of. > > - Revit can save to DWG and DGN files > > - 3ds max 6 does not support DGN files > > - 3ds max 6 can read in ADT 2004 and ADT 2005 files. > > - VIZ 2005 (soon to be released) supports file linking between ADT 2004 > and > > ADT 2005 files. > > - 3ds max 6 has an upcoming extension (http://tinyurl.com/2f4oh) where > file > > linking will be supported between ADT 2004 and ADT 2005 files. > > - I don't know if the DWG file that is saved from Microstation/Triforma > and > > Revit saves objects as Walls, Doors, Slabs, etc. that are treated as > > instances as far as material propagation goes. > > - Revit includes AccuRender > > - ADT 2004 and ADT 2005 include VIZ Render > > > > hth, > > jim > > > > > >
Message 8 of 15
Anonymous

I have found Revit Models to be much lighter and cleaner than AutoCAD Models going into Max. I haven't done many projects with the combination yet but from the tests I've done so far the file sizes are better. I have some issues with the default settings for block export and layers which I'm still working out and some issues with the way certain faces intersect with regards to radiosity solutions but then again I've only been using Revit for a few months. That brings me to your other unstated question... training on Revit. I have to say that it almost teaches itself. I'm having people in my office just do the included totorials and in a matter of days they're off and drawing. Considering how many AutoCAD questions I'm still answering after a decade, Revit is a piece of cake. People just draw with it. Back to the Revit/MAX issue. If you just draw a wall and a roof in Revit (an early sketch) and export it into Max you end up with a lot of bad intersection in Max because the elements aren't joined. This doesn't happen if you clean them up in Revit but the trick is not to join them in Revit (not too soon anyway) but to export to Sketchup then re-export the model and use that model in Max. Sketchup cleans it up without forcing you to commit to a finished model too early in the process. All in all, there is still a lot of work to do once you get the model to max, but going from Revit is better than going from ADT or AutoCAD. Finally (I hope this isn't too long an answer) there are rumors that Revit will support that new Viz Render format in future releases so that you can get both models and basic materials. "Aaron Rumple" wrote in message news:4060c276$1_3@newsprd01... > Revit makes a nice model. The objects export well to DXF/DWG and then of > course into Max/Viz. I know several firms that have aquired Revit just as a > fatser model building tool for Viz. Revit aslo leaves the internal planes > behind making for what is in my experiance a lighter model than ADT. > > "lovejoyb20" wrote in message > news:33327761.1080082588179.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum1.autodesk.com... > > Currently, I am the CAD manager for a firm that uses ADT 2I and I will be > rolling out ADT 2004 in the next week or so. Now, before I am chastised for > using ADT, this thread is not a comparison of ADT and Revit. What I need to > know is how well Revit interacts with 3D Studio MAX 6. In addition to our > ADT stations, we have a graphics department consisting of 13 MAX stations. > Most of our projects are "recreated" in MAX for presentation to the client. > I am very interested in testing REVIT for future use in our firm. > Re-training our staff is an obstacle, but I can get over that one. However, > if REVIT and MAX do not play nicely together, it will unfortunately > eliminate it from consideration. Please give me any information possible. > >
Message 9 of 15
Anonymous

Heres a Autodesk whitepaper on Revit and Viz, which might help with your Max: http://revit.autodesk.com/EN/6_1/documents/Revit_VIZ_45.pdf "andrebaros" wrote in message news:4061a174$1_2@newsprd01... > I have found Revit Models to be much lighter and cleaner than AutoCAD Models > going into Max. I haven't done many projects with the combination yet but > from the tests I've done so far the file sizes are better. I have some > issues with the default settings for block export and layers which I'm still > working out and some issues with the way certain faces intersect with > regards to radiosity solutions but then again I've only been using Revit for > a few months. > > That brings me to your other unstated question... training on Revit. I have > to say that it almost teaches itself. I'm having people in my office just > do the included totorials and in a matter of days they're off and drawing. > Considering how many AutoCAD questions I'm still answering after a decade, > Revit is a piece of cake. People just draw with it. > > Back to the Revit/MAX issue. If you just draw a wall and a roof in Revit > (an early sketch) and export it into Max you end up with a lot of bad > intersection in Max because the elements aren't joined. This doesn't happen > if you clean them up in Revit but the trick is not to join them in Revit > (not too soon anyway) but to export to Sketchup then re-export the model and > use that model in Max. Sketchup cleans it up without forcing you to commit > to a finished model too early in the process. > > All in all, there is still a lot of work to do once you get the model to > max, but going from Revit is better than going from ADT or AutoCAD. Finally > (I hope this isn't too long an answer) there are rumors that Revit will > support that new Viz Render format in future releases so that you can get > both models and basic materials. > > > "Aaron Rumple" wrote in message > news:4060c276$1_3@newsprd01... > > Revit makes a nice model. The objects export well to DXF/DWG and then of > > course into Max/Viz. I know several firms that have aquired Revit just as > a > > fatser model building tool for Viz. Revit aslo leaves the internal planes > > behind making for what is in my experiance a lighter model than ADT. > > > > "lovejoyb20" wrote in message > > news:33327761.1080082588179.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum1.autodesk.com... > > > Currently, I am the CAD manager for a firm that uses ADT 2I and I will > be > > rolling out ADT 2004 in the next week or so. Now, before I am chastised > for > > using ADT, this thread is not a comparison of ADT and Revit. What I need > to > > know is how well Revit interacts with 3D Studio MAX 6. In addition to our > > ADT stations, we have a graphics department consisting of 13 MAX stations. > > Most of our projects are "recreated" in MAX for presentation to the > client. > > I am very interested in testing REVIT for future use in our firm. > > Re-training our staff is an obstacle, but I can get over that one. > However, > > if REVIT and MAX do not play nicely together, it will unfortunately > > eliminate it from consideration. Please give me any information possible. > > > > > >
Message 10 of 15
Anonymous

Found out some additional information today that should prove helpful. I apologize if my original information was misleading or incomplete in any way. "You can export 3d models from Autodesk Revit to DWG, DXF or DGN. These models can then be rendered in 3d Studio MAX or Autodesk VIZ (or whatever other application you prefer). To export a 3d model, you need to be in a 3d view in Revit. The 3d representations of Revit elements are exported and create appropriate geometry in the target file format. This means that when you export to DWG, things like Revit Walls and Roofs are exported as 3d polymesh entities. Components like doors, windows and furniture are typically exported as blocks with 3d polymeshes and 3d faces in the block definition. If you export from a 2d view, the 2d representations of Revit elements are exported and create appropriate 2d entities (lines, polylines, arcs, text, blocks, etc.) in the target file format. You can use Revit's Export Layers File to control the mapping of Revit categories to AutoCAD layers or microstation levels. Layer names can be used to control materials in the rendering application of your choice. For more information, please see the whitepaper called "Using Autodesk Revit with Autodesk VIZ" at http://revit.autodesk.com/documents.asp." Better interoperability between future releases of VIZ, MAX and Revit is on the wish list. hth, jim
Message 11 of 15
Anonymous

> All in all, there is still a lot of work to do once you get the model to > max, but going from Revit is better than going from ADT or AutoCAD. Finally - Excuse me...? You can just open the ADT's .drf in max. How difficult is that? Jussi
Message 12 of 15
Anonymous

Sorry, I wasn't playing with the latest version of Desktop... .drf files will be easiest... but my understanding was that Max couldn't open them yet. "Jussi" wrote in message news:4065b1c1$1_3@newsprd01... > > All in all, there is still a lot of work to do once you get the model to > > max, but going from Revit is better than going from ADT or AutoCAD. > Finally > > - Excuse me...? > You can just open the ADT's .drf in max. > How difficult is that? > > Jussi > >
Message 13 of 15
Jeffreymcgrew

Another tip: If you need common elements on different layers when exporting from Revit, like Brick walls on one layer and Gyp. Bd. Walls on another, you can use worksets to split up your Revit project and then export the walls into separate DWG files which you can then bring into your 3D rendering software and apply materials to. Otherwise all the walls will be on the same layer, making for more work in re-mapping the materials. I export models from Revit to AutoCAD for then exporting into Radiance and have no issues with this approach, other than I wish that it was a little more automatic.
Message 14 of 15
Jeffreymcgrew

While this is true, you have to measure your modeling time in ADT vs. Revit. I know for a fact that I can model a lot more stuff a lot faster in Revit than in any other 3D package, so the fact that it takes a little more work to bring it into another package for Rendering is more than made up for in the fact that my modeling time is halved (esp. when major changes to the model are required).

Another factor to think about is that, with Revit, that model isn't a 'dead-end'. It's not too uncommon for someone to make a model with AutoCAD/ADT/VIZ to produce a rendering, and then for that model to simply get thrown away when it comes time to make the CD's. This is especially the case when only one person is making the model and everyone else on the team is just drafting in 2D. With Revit that work you did to make a decent model saves you significant time downstream when you hit DD's and CD's, and if you're in the middle of a documentation phase, any work a rendering guy does to the model only helps the other people working on the documents, for as they make things more detailed and start to define materials those things will show up in the other's work, instead of being within a forked model...
Message 15 of 15
Anonymous

100% Agree "Jeffreymcgrew" wrote in message news:28026674.1082569518693.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > While this is true, you have to measure your modeling time in ADT vs. Revit. I know for a fact that I can model a lot more stuff a lot faster in Revit than in any other 3D package, so the fact that it takes a little more work to bring it into another package for Rendering is more than made up for in the fact that my modeling time is halved (esp. when major changes to the model are required). > > Another factor to think about is that, with Revit, that model isn't a 'dead-end'. It's not too uncommon for someone to make a model with AutoCAD/ADT/VIZ to produce a rendering, and then for that model to simply get thrown away when it comes time to make the CD's. This is especially the case when only one person is making the model and everyone else on the team is just drafting in 2D. With Revit that work you did to make a decent model saves you significant time downstream when you hit DD's and CD's, and if you're in the middle of a documentation phase, any work a rendering guy does to the model only helps the other people working on the documents, for as they make things more detailed and start to define materials those things will show up in the other's work, instead of being within a forked model...

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report