Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revit LT and family upgrades

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
chrisf
1958 Views, 11 Replies

Revit LT and family upgrades

Here's another undocumented feature disparity in Revit LT 2013: when trying to open a downloaded family that was last saved in 8.1 or earlier, I get the message:

"(file) cannot be opened in Revit LT because it was last saved in a version of Revit prior to 8.1."

I love having a chance to use this product at a price that is feasible for small firms, but the number of undocumented missing features is terrifically frustrating. Does anyone know of a utility that can upgrade these files?

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
Alfredo_Medina
in reply to: chrisf

The question remains open. See this:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Revit-Architecture/Is-there-a-way-to-load-an-rfa-file-saved-p...

For some reason that I don't understand, those family files that were created before 8.1 can be opened and saved with the full Revit 2013, but not with LT 2013.

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 3 of 12
ccollins
in reply to: Alfredo_Medina

Perhaps Revit LT has some limitations causing this--like limited ability with parameters, formulae, materials, etc.?

Cliff B. Collins
Registered Architect/BIM Manager
Thalden Boyd Emery Architects
St. Louis, MO
Message 4 of 12
DarrenP
in reply to: ccollins

no idea

i guess someone from autodesk would have to respond to this thread

DarrenP
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 12
chrisf
in reply to: DarrenP

I hope someone from Autodesk does respond, and while they are at it, they could update their websites to include Revit LT in the drop-down boxes, support forums, etc.  We're definitely the neglected step-children right now.

I understand that LT is a limited feature set and a subset of the full Revit code base, so there may be a technical reason why we can't open these files. But Autodesk shouldn't hide that fact, or lie by omission, in their Revit LT marketing materials and product documentation. I keep finding LT-only limitations that are completely absent from the feature matrix, technical notes, etc. It's unprofessional at best.

I'd be satisfied with a free file converter and a complete list of the feature differences, but I won't hold my breath.

Message 6 of 12
chrisf

I shouldn't have been so skeptical; I did receive a message from Autodesk that they are working to address this issue in upcoming service packs. In the interim, opening the families in a full version of Revit after 8.1 will upgrade the family, which can then be opened in LT 2013.

Message 7 of 12
Alfredo_Medina

That is good to know. Thanks for sharing.

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 8 of 12
MichaelGibson5012

Did this ever get solved as I get it with Revit LT 2014 and when I try to open in Full Revit 2014 get access denied?

Thanks

Michael

Message 9 of 12

The original topic of this thread was different to the topic that you mention now. However, can you post one of the families that you made in Revit LT 2014 to see if other users can open it using full Revit 2014?

Message 10 of 12
zboy0927

Does anyone know if this is solved yet?

Message 11 of 12
mattjfco
in reply to: zboy0927

Not Solved in Revit 2017LT with SP1. Kind of annoying since they've had years now to work on this.
Message 12 of 12
mpwuzhere

Programming functionality changed with 8.X when Autodesk took over the program.  LT came to be years later.  LT just could not read the code from 8.1 and prior because a lot of the core program was removed.  

You can always download a demo of the full version, and update the files, so it can be read in the current version of Revit LT.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report