Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revit LT 2014 - Is there a sun path tool?

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
arcsurvey
4065 Views, 8 Replies

Revit LT 2014 - Is there a sun path tool?

I have found in the help files referencing the sun path tool in Revit LT 2014

http://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/revit-lt/learn-explore/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/2014/ENU/Revit...

but I cannot locate the tool.

Ayone know how to do this or is ot not included in LT?

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
loboarch
in reply to: arcsurvey

Revit LT does not have the sun path tool.

Jeff Hanson
Principal Content Experience Designer
Revit Help |
Message 3 of 9
arcsurvey
in reply to: loboarch

Ah Ok, that would explain it. Thanks for your help clarifying that. Very misleading though when the Revit LT link pages that I have posted below and in the previous post refer to the sun path tool and how to use it to create a solar study. I note that the in-program help file does not refer to these pages.

http://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/revit-lt/learn-explore/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/2014/ENU/Revit...

I want to do a solar study for 1 hour intervals through the day. I can set the 'sun settings' to one day and 1 hour intervals - it seems to give me the option of one hour intervals but I have to change them manually.

I manually change the time and export an image for that time and repeat this for each hour. Is there a better way? I then import the image back into a Revit drawing sheet.

This below is what the Revit LT page I found online states.

Previewing Solar Study Animations

After you create a solar study animation, you can preview specific frames or the full animation using control buttons on the Options Bar.

To preview a solar study animation

1. In the Project Browser, double-click a view for which you created a solar study animation.
  2. On the View Control Bar, click (Shadows On), and then click (Sun Path On), and select Preview Solar Study.
  3. To play the animation from start to finish, on the Options Bar, click (Play).
  4. To stop the animation, press ESC, or on the status bar, click Cancel.
  5. To control the animation, use the following buttons on the Options Bar:

- Moves backward 10 frames

- Moves forward 10 frames

- Displays the previous frame

- Displays the next frame

To display a specific frame of the animation, for Frame, enter the frame number.

Message 4 of 9
loboarch
in reply to: arcsurvey

Sorry for the confusion. it looks like the Knowdledge network pages you are looking at are pulling in information from Revit and displaying them in the Revit LT pages. The online help (accessed via F1 or the "?" in the info center are in the upper right of the application will return the correct information.

Revit LT does not do any kind of solar animation/simulation. I am working with our AKN team to fix the issue on the pages you are seeing.

Jeff Hanson
Revit Help |
Message 5 of 9
hughransom

I note 7 years later Revit LT 2021 Help pages still pull in the full Revit Sun Path information.  I assume it is still not a feature in Revit LT?

Message 6 of 9
semhustej
in reply to: hughransom

If it's true it should be fixed by Autodesk not to cause more confusion for Revit LT users after all these years. 

Message 7 of 9
loboarch

@hughransom wrote:

I note 7 years later Revit LT 2021 Help pages still pull in the full Revit Sun Path information.  I assume it is still not a feature in Revit LT?

Do you have a link where you are seeing information about "Sun Path" in Revit LT 2021 Help documentation?  I just did a quick search an am not seeing anything.

I did find one video that does show use of the sun path, the videos are typically shred between Revit and Revit LT help and in this case it shows a feature not available, but other things in the video still apply. in this case the sun path is just one way to change the position of the sun, the video shows other ways.

Jeff Hanson
Revit Help |
Message 8 of 9
hughransom

The issue is as much that Revit LT includes settings for Single Day and Multi-Day sun paths, but does not indicate they cannot be produced. REVIT LT help page on Sun Paths doesn't mention them (rather than saying the functionality is not there). Revit LT Help file below includes video of Revit with a lot of functionality not available in LT (I acknowledge the "minor difference" note, but I don't think half the options not working is a 'minor difference').
I appreciate I'm using LT software, and therefore there will be reduced functionality. Just fed up that nowhere in the software of help file it states Single and Multi day are not available in Revit, therefore I wasted a good couple of hours trying to work out what I was doing wrong. I'd have no issue if Autodesk were up front on what the reduced functionality is. As simple one line explanatory note on the Types of Solar Studies page would suffice.
Regards
Hugh

[cid:image001.png@01D719EC.4D713500]
Message 9 of 9
loboarch

@hughransom wrote:

I appreciate I'm using LT software, and therefore there will be reduced functionality. Just fed up that nowhere in the software of help file it states Single and Multi day are not available in Revit, therefore I wasted a good couple of hours trying to work out what I was doing wrong. I'd have no issue if Autodesk were up front on what the reduced functionality is. As simple one line explanatory note on the Types of Solar Studies page would suffice.
Regards
Hugh

[cid:image001.png@01D719EC.4D713500]

Sorry this was confusing and cost you time.  I can see how this might be confusing. I will work on adding a note to the topic on the types of solar studies available. Making it clear in Revit LT single day and multi day can be selected, but there is no way to actually export or see the results.

I think the video still has value to a Revit LT user as it demonstrates how you can set the same sun position for multiple views at one time. Those can be exported as images. the Sun Path in this particular is just a way to visualize where the sun is in the sky, but it is not necessary, you can still use a shared sun position and make it affect more than one view at a time.

Jeff Hanson
Revit Help |

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report