Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revit File size problem, what to do?

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
lukem35
8978 Views, 8 Replies

Revit File size problem, what to do?

We are about to inherent a Revit file from our interstate practice, it is currently over ~850mb in size and almost 10,000 warnings.

Can we still work with this file? will it eventually explode if it cracks the 1gb mark?

Has anyone experiance this and what have you done?

Tags (2)
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

try this:

• make an Audit : before opening the project , from Application menu (big R) >Open Project - in dialog window check Audit and then : Open
  • Purge Unused : Manage>Purge Unused
  • erase all the unecessary Views from Project Browser
  • check fo linked dwg or images and Decals: Manage> Manage Project >Links, Images, Decals
  • in Visibilty/Graphics Overrides > Imported Categories check if there are not dwg or other files imported

Constantin Stroescu

EESignature

Message 3 of 9
rosskirby
in reply to: lukem35

That depends... how well does it work?  Why is it so large (in-place families, multiple buildings, etc.)?

There are a few ways to address file size, but first you have to determine if it's really a problem.  If you've got 10 buildings in one file, and each is on a separate workset, it could conceivably be OK (not a great solution, but you've gotta play the hand you're dealt).

Ross Kirby
Principal
Dynamik Design
www.dynamikdesign.com
Message 4 of 9

You are right , you try to determine the causes of such a big file...and they can be those you said.

I would add the posibilty  that the project could contain over detailed families, with to many parameters (I found a lot of such objects especialy those made by industry)

What I have proposed is a  quick routine procedure to clean a project without affecting the core of it ...possible not with a big effect....but handy and without risks....

Constantin Stroescu

EESignature

Message 5 of 9

Sorry, didn't mean to make it sound like what you were suggesting was a bad route to take, since good file maintenance is important, regardless of file size.  I just wanted to dig a little deeper into the file size problem, since it's something that can seem like a huge problem, when in most cases it doesn't make that much difference (based on personal experience).

Ross Kirby
Principal
Dynamik Design
www.dynamikdesign.com
Message 6 of 9
bimandict
in reply to: rosskirby

Hi. . .

What I would do is to do an audit. I posted my Audit sheet here a while ago. In that audit process I would check the Model development status and if that was in accordance with the BIM Execution Plan. i.e. is it over modeled? (firstly this should be an information modeling exercise not a detailed 3D modeling exercise), should the building/buildings be splitup in separate model files? etc. After that  I would do a big clean up if needed. e.g. purge, browser tidy up, link tidy up etc.

The size could be vitally important if you have limited space on your PC or even worse if you have partitioned drives. When you open a Revit model there are temporary log files opened on your PC that are requiring a huge amount of space (more than the model file size it self) so a smaller model result in smaller log files.

Regards,

Jimi Clarke

BIM Manager - London
Microsoft Cloud Services Partner
Message 7 of 9
darryl.klassen

I have recently been having trouble with file sizes in Revit 2021...It is at the basic level...ie creating structural foundation....for example I created a simple extrusion in a family and some how the family got to be 15MB....the only thing that seems to work is to copy (ctrl C) and paste it into a new foundation family template and the 15MB file turns into 400kB....I have not used CAD imports or anything else....It seems like some kind of file size leak is happening....and as you bring these families into a project...it just gets worse and worse with file size.

Message 8 of 9
vancikv

As for your concerns about size hitting 1GB, that shouldn't be a problem by itself. It bears mentioning though, that versions 2020 and older had a maximum file size limitation of 2GB for non-workshared projects. See here for details.

Message 9 of 9

Hi,

Something has gone suspiciously wrong within my Revit file causing it to grow from 2.5mb to 346mb.

I have tried all the steps you mentioned and now the file is exactly 201mb. I tried deleting everything in the model 1 by 1 until I was literally left with a Legend which was just empty but I still couldn't find the culprit. Do you have any further sugestions?

I've tried seperating the file and deleting the large file out of the file and then chaning i back to a revit file but that just corrupts the file also.

Thanks

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report