Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revit Daylight Saving Accuracy

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
jacksonfung3916
3843 Views, 7 Replies

Revit Daylight Saving Accuracy

Hi,

A question regarding to the accuracy of "daylight saving" tool in Revit has araised in my office?  The time zone for Toronto is set to -5:00 eastern time during NON daylight saving hours, and during the daylight saving hours, which is from March to November, the time will get push forward by 1 hour.  We have notice with the daylight saving on, the shadows for March to November are accuracy.  However when it comes to December to Feburary, the shadows are off by 1 hour.  I wonder does that mean when doing the shadow study for December to Feburary we need to remove the "daylight saving" setting from Revit.  Can anyone comments on this?

Thanks,

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Recycling part of my comments to a previous discussion about this topic in another forum (up to Revit 2012) : "The check mark for Daylight Savings does what it is supposed to do only in part. Because it does not verify if the current date is out of the summertime in a particular location. It just moves the shadows one hour. ... So, use that setting with caution."

(I wonder if something has changed about this after Revit 2012).

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 3 of 8

Thank you for your confirmation.  As far as I know there are no changes made to the daylight saving tool in Revit 2013. 

Message 4 of 8
jkeogh
in reply to: jacksonfung3916

There is still no change in Revit 2014 !!

Message 5 of 8

Still no change in 2018.1.

This way Revit info can't be trusted. I thought it was supost to apply it or not acording to the location we define.

That check box is totally useless unless it is used by view/date&time stamp.

Message 6 of 8
ToanDN
in reply to: susana.duarte

Is it really that big of a deal?  

First, not all regions utilize Daylight Saving (or Wasting) Time.

Second, the Day is not constant.  It changes from year to year, from region to region.

With that many variables, a simple user input by ticking a box when needed seems like a reasonable solution.

Message 7 of 8
susana.duarte
in reply to: ToanDN

Right, I agree. (but still, there are some projects were shadow efect per hour, specific hour, is important, or else this question would arise, right)

My sugestion is make that input by view and not global for the project. The alternative is to "cheat" time (a silly workarround, for such a small chage in program coding, I think... Maybe I'm wrong...) And is less prone to user error.

Just letting Autodesk know for an better alternative than the one they have now (that I hope would be easy to implement).

Message 8 of 8
M_Perez
in reply to: jacksonfung3916

I just posted it by Ideas, please vote and comment if you have any suggestions. 

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/revit-ideas/wrong-simulations-daylight-saving-time-dst-summer-time-pr...

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report