Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revit Bug? Copy/Paste Aligned with Furniture Families

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
JohnCubed
2685 Views, 9 Replies

Revit Bug? Copy/Paste Aligned with Furniture Families

This problem has been described on numerous forums and there has never been a solution posted which leads me to believe that this is a Revit defect. When using 'Copy to Clipboard/Paste Aligned to Selected Levels' for furniture families a warning appears which says: "There are identical instances in the same place. This will result in double counting in schedules." And the furniture doesn't appear on the selected levels. Has anyone been able to make this work? And, if so, how? I've tried everything to no avail so if you have a suggestion, please test it to make sure it works before posting. Thanks.

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
CoreyDaun
in reply to: JohnCubed

I was unable to reproduce this error - the Furniture (using Revit's "Out Of The Box" families) was successfully Pasted to the other Levels. Tested in 2012 and 2013.

Are you having this problem with all Furniture families? Have you tried Grouping the elements prior to Copy/Pasting?

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 3 of 10
JohnCubed
in reply to: CoreyDaun

Thanks for testing that out CADastrophe. It gives a clue that the problem might be that I made a wrong adjustment somewhere along the line. I'm using furniture from the OOTB families as well including Bed Standard, Chair Breuer, Chair-Corbu, Desk, Table-Coffee etc as well as various pieces from Knoll Studio and Herman Miller. I have tried grouping the furniture but it doesn't solve the problem. I just tried it again and only four Breur chairs showed up copied properly and a message which indicated that there were 36 identical instances in the same place. And this is a new discovery: It seems that the furniture is being copied over top the furniture in the originating level but outside the group. When I hover over a single furniture piece and tab, I can select it. Then when I press delete I get a message that says 'Group members have been excluded from this group instance.' I'm using Revit 2012 btw.

Message 4 of 10
CoreyDaun

Test one of the rogue Furniture families in a new Project to be sure that the problem is the Family. If it still gives you trouble, post the family file here.

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 5 of 10
JohnCubed
in reply to: CoreyDaun

As suggested I inserted the same furniture in a new project and it worked like a charm. Then I erased and reinserted the furniture in my other project. Same problem. THEN I redid all the floors and Voila! Problem solved!

Message 6 of 10
Hoisinsauces

What do you mean you redid all the floors??

Message 7 of 10
rosskirby
in reply to: Hoisinsauces

I believe the problem he was running into is that some of his furniture was hosted (face-based, most likely), and if I recall correctly, when you have a hosted element (especially in a group), you can't copy/paste aligned to a selected level because it won't be able to find a new host, so it just pastes it back in the same place.

It's been a while since I've run into that problem, so I'm not 100% on that, but it would explain why he was only having the problem with some families, and not others.

I'm not sure what re-creating the floors would have done, other than that perhaps the furniture was placed on the original floor object, rather than on the workplane for that view, and that by creating the furniture first, then the floor, he was able to copy/paste aligned to a selected level because the furniture was now referencing a level, which it could find on the other levels.

Ross Kirby
Principal
Dynamik Design
www.dynamikdesign.com
Message 8 of 10
JohnCubed

What I meant when I said I redid all the floors is just that: I erased all the floors and then redrew them which solved the problem. RossKirby may be right in his diagnosis but frankly I think that Autodesk should use one release (or as many as necessary!) of it's product to correct all these sorts of useability issues that require of a subtle knowledge of the software. A lot of time has passed since I was confronted with this problem but I remeber being very frustrated by it and it cost me a lot of time. Personally, I'm an Architect not a computer geek and I just want something that works smoothly and elegantly without hangups.

Message 9 of 10
Florian.Neumayr

Sorry for the delay, the topic seems to be quite old, but you can reproduce this simple by using Architectural Floors and Structural Floors.

Structural Floors seem to be a "magnet". Putting furniture on Architectural Floors allows you to paste hosted objects to aligned levels.

If the floor was just once in its life structural or has seen structural parameter, the magnet is on. Hope this helps, Cheers, so you redo it and

it worked. Sounds like a bug as Revit should be intelligent enough to rehost the family, having said this, it is probably looking for something

structural to rehost it.

Message 10 of 10
SteveKStafford

I wrote a blog post about it in December of 2013. Yes it (the issue) can be replicated when a floor is structural. That's when its parameter Structural is checked. Definitely a subtle quirk.

My other older self here: http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/46056

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report