Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revit Architecture SITE origin

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
mike_vieira
4737 Views, 10 Replies

Revit Architecture SITE origin

So it would seem that revit has some sort of internel reference point (0,0) which is where your site is located and referenced from when placing points in the drawing. Does anyone know how to change this point of origin or perhaps set the site so that it references an elevation created by me? I hate that when I place my points, it certainly creates the correct contours and shape of my site, just at the wrong height, resulting in me having to shift it up or down to the correct level, which isn't a problem. The problem is that once I shift it, all my elevation point values change to reflect this change, thus making more work for me if I have to change or add correct points later on after the site has been pulled up or down..

Any info is helpfull.

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
loboarch
in reply to: mike_vieira

Revit has 2 points like this.  (Well actually 3 but you can only manipulate 2 of them.)  The project basepoint (round maker with an x) and the survey point (trianglemarker with an x) can be seen in the "site" view in the default template.  You can also find these points by using the "lightbulb" icon on the view control bar.

From your description you probalby need to move the survey point to establish how the contours of your project are labeled.  So for example you want the the toposurface to read 100'-0" but it currently reads 0'-0"; move the survey point down 100' and then change the family type properties of the contour label family to use "shared coordinates".  The labels should read starting at 100'-0".

You can find more information here:

http://wikihelp.autodesk.com/Revit/enu/2012/Help/Revit_User's_Guide/2214-Collabor2214/2408-Shared_P2...

The first vidoe in this tutorial show how you do this.  The video uses an older version of Revit but the preocess is still the same.

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/item?siteID=123112&id=13734321

Jeff Hanson
Principal Content Experience Designer
Revit Help |
Message 3 of 11
ljhudson
in reply to: loboarch

I forgot my headphones today but i read over what you wrote.

It seems some times settings in revit aread to be labeled the opposite of what I want to do, in regards to real/true and project

So I changed project base point shared site elev to 100' on my site plan,

then I went to a level head on one of my elevations and changed the elevation base to shared. that started me off at 100

it seems, correct, but because my site doesnt have any topo i am not sure if I really did the right thing.

Message 4 of 11
mike_vieira

Well, yes this is certainly a solution in regards showing the correct information to the person viewing the site plan but what I'm trying to do is to somehow set my reference level for my site to facilitate point entry. For example, if I were to create an elevatione called "grade" and have it 6" below the "T/O Foundation" elevation, I'd like to have my "Grade" elevation be the reference plane for the site point entry. Then when I create my site plan and I put a point in thats -2'-0", I want it to be -2'-0" from my "Grade" elevation. Is this possible?

Message 5 of 11
loboarch

@mike_vieira wrote:

For example, if I were to create an elevatione called "grade" and have it 6" below the "T/O Foundation" elevation, I'd like to have my "Grade" elevation be the reference plane for the site point entry. Then when I create my site plan and I put a point in thats -2'-0", I want it to be -2'-0" from my "Grade" elevation. Is this possible?

This is not possible directly.  The place points function of the toposurface works off of an "absolute" value.  This value is related to the 3rd "internal" coordinate system that is not exposed to the user.  The project basepoint, the survey point, and level 1 in a default template start at this internal coordinate origin.  In order to do what you want, you need to first manipulate the other points to the correct positions so entry of toposurface points corresponds to what you are wanting to do.   It is typically best to set up level datums as the first thing you do in a Revit project at least the ones you know.  This will help keep everything goin on the right track from the beginning.

Jeff Hanson
Principal Content Experience Designer
Revit Help |
Message 6 of 11
schmiedm

This last message/post was the most helpful from many I have seen to help me understand the issue of these coordinates, especially as it relates to topography and elevation points.  The fact that there is a '3rd coordinate system' which is not transparent to the use is what was drving me nuts... I simply have to move the topography so it 'matches' the internal one (by picking a point on the topography, seeing it's elevation, figuring out the difference to what it should be, and the using the MOVE command to move it up/down to the righit spot... THEN changing the PROJECT and SURVEY points to get the 'readouts' that make sense... Whew!

Message 7 of 11
aghis_no

There is also another way to go. You can keep the site in a separate file and link it to the project file. Then you will need to shear the coordinates between the two files.
Message 8 of 11
gsucci

Jeff,
this is indeed an incredible piece of information.
I have been struggling with the location of a topography for hours, believing that there was something I was missing about the Survey point Vs. the project point, and their pin / unpinned status.

Instead, there is a third coordinate system. I believe it is the "Sturtup Location" to which you can move the unpinned project base point, right?

This appears completely unnecessary. It is just baffling: why can't we see this "Startup location"? Why isn't is simply called "World Coordinates", or "Word Origin"?
Then, of course, it is nice to have a Project base point, which can be manipulated, just like a User Coordinate System.
Also, levels and tags can be modified to read from either coordinate systems (Survey, and Project base), and DWG imports can have a Level and an offset, but instead Topography elements are reading their elevation from the absolute, hidden, un-editable "Startup Location"...?
Why isn't there a level associated to the Topos? Then switching coordinate systems would be a breeze, as it should be....

Thank you again...

regards

gio
Message 9 of 11
Kmal232
in reply to: gsucci

I am having a similar issue. The Project Base Point (PBP) has been moved slightly away from the 'startup location' while unclipped. Is there any way to reconcile this 'startup location' and the current unclipped PBP without having to move the model geometry?  

If I use relocate project, the origin remains the same offset distance from where I want it to be, only everything is moved relative to the survey point -- it does not solve the problem.

Could it just be possible to define the current PBP as the new 'startup location' aka Origin?

Best regards,

Kevin

Message 10 of 11
jseehra

the information is helpful in this section, but I have an issue that when I am exporting my project to DWG file,  origin changed by me in Revit does not change into the DWG file. Is it possible?

Message 11 of 11

Hi, I'm kinda trying to do something along those lines.. I imported a site plan raster image and its to scale.

So I placed my topo surface and elevations then I put in the property line from sketching off the image, but I want the property line, with the raster image and topo surface to re-orientate to be the correct Degrees in minutes and seconds but I can't rotate the surfaces together, or in anyway, is it possible to fix? 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report