Revit Architecture

Contributor
MMinistrelli
Message 1 of 4 (347 Views)
Accepted Solution

Revit Architecture-Creating Views of an imported Cad File

347 Views, 3 Replies
04-09-2012 12:57 PM

I am very new to Revit and I am trying to figure out how to see the first floor in a five floor building.  This model is a 3D Cad file imported into Revit.  I need to look inside the building and place equipment on the first floor.  I am sure it is a pretty simple process, I just need to learn how.

Thank you for your help.

Community Manager
philip.s
Message 2 of 4 (342 Views)

Re: Revit Architecture-Creating Views of an imported Cad File

04-09-2012 01:49 PM in reply to: MMinistrelli

Hi MMinistrelli,

I'll be moving this thread to the Autodesk Revit Architecture topic stack where it will get more visibility.

Philip Schmelzer
*Expert Elite*
rosskirby
Message 3 of 4 (273 Views)

04-10-2012 02:31 PM in reply to: MMinistrelli

Unless the Revit project file you imported the CAD file into already had levels set up for each level in the CAD file, you'll have to create the levels yourself.  Go to an elevation view and copy the levels up to align with each of the levels in the CAD import, then go to View --> Plan Views --> Floor Plans and check the box next to each level that you want to have a view associated with.  

When you double-click on that view in the project browser, you will be able to place objects at that level.  Note that you may need to create a floor in Revit for any floor-hosted families, as the CAD file will not act as the host.

Ross Kirby
BIM Manager
Arcturis
Product Support
Lance.Coffey
Message 4 of 4 (237 Views)

04-12-2012 11:01 AM in reply to: rosskirby

One other thing to be aware of when working with an imported 3D DWG file is that the DWG will not be cut if the DWG is directly imported into Revit (this means that the entire DWG would be visible regardless of the cut plane).

To avoid this issue, you can import the DWG into a (cuttable) family, as described in the following forum post:
http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Revit-Architecture/Importing-DWG-or-really-any-format-is-no-c...

After importing the DWG into the family, and loading the family into your project, the DWG geometry should be cut in the different plan and section views.

Lance Coffey

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Revit Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for Revit helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Revit

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Youtube