Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revit Architecture 2013 Materials Library

33 REPLIES 33
Message 1 of 34
khampson
11274 Views, 33 Replies

Revit Architecture 2013 Materials Library

When I try to modify a family Material, the Material library screens pop up, but if I touch anything on them Revit 2013 crashes. 

This happened in a project I upgraded from Revit 2012 & from a project I started from the OOTB Architectural Project (I only inserted one family) and it still crashed when editing the Materials. I tried different families as well.

Is Revit 2013 incompatible with 2012 & 2010 Revit Materials?

Since Revit is not backward compatible I have to recreate this work in 2012 to render anything!

33 REPLIES 33
Message 2 of 34
vector2
in reply to: khampson

"Is Revit 2013 incompatible with 2012 & 2010 Revit Materials?"

All three of those versions are very closely related and on the

same new foundation. If any version crashes that much, I would

go to features and programs in the control panel and uninstall

and reinstall that version. Most of the supporting programs will

not be reinstalled so it's only the core program you click on and

it does that job fairly fast. After it installs new, restart your computer

and defrag your hard drive. No guarantees.

Message 3 of 34
alan.quinn

I think vector2 may be on the right track here. I have not come across this and the materials properties box was testing prior to release. I would do a clean un-install and re-install. Follow the instruction on this link and remove 2013 instead of 2012. The addresses' are all the same. You could possible skip the registry portion and see what happens. Here's the link:http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=16828836&linkID=9243099

Thanks for posting.

Message 4 of 34
parveen.revit

if feasible, could you please try this same file with same material on a different computer.

next step will depend on the result.

If it works fine there, you should re-install revit.

but if it crashes there as well, you should report to Autodesk support.

Parveen_Intec_Infocom (BIM, CAD, GIS, QS Services' Provider)
Message 5 of 34
MichaelPennyMP1

The Revit 2013 materials editor is confusing, slow and likes to crash everyone and a while!  I feel it has taken a step backwards and it wil definitely cut into our productivity. 

I loaded my previous template from 2012 and have tried adjusting the materials but it is confusing.  1 window is like a lump of crap that you have to sort through to figure out what is going on.  I would like to see a seperate materials in-document window from the autodesk materials window, this way it's not all crammed on 1 screen.  One office is not even going to update to 2013.

Mike Penny

Message 6 of 34

new materials and it's dialog box in revit 2013 is a good beginnig but is slow and inefficient at its infant stage.

It may take some time to get desired result and to become user friendly but untimately we can expect some miracle happens due to this newly added features in material properties.

Message 7 of 34
khampson

We have tried this on a different machine at the same time I was trying it.

The other machine is running Revit MEP 2013 and had the same crashing problems dealing with Materials.

HOWEVER:

I completely removed 2013 Autocad and Revit, and reinstalled Revit 2013 only.

The Materials are working better now, I have not crashed yet. We are going to do the same to the Revit MEP 2013 machine.

If the Materials won't work we will not be able to upgrade the rest of the users in the company.

Message 8 of 34
parveen.revit

it's good that reinstalling solved the problem.

Message 9 of 34
gmcarq

I remember Revit 2012 crashed the material editor if you were using a tablet (like a Wacom) or have chosen Keyboard Accesibility in Windows. That was fixed at some point of the year. That said, I have not seen that problem in 2013.

Materials should not have issues when opening a file in Revit 2013.

Message 10 of 34

Transition from AutoCAD to Revit has been complicated to say the least, and moving forward to Revit 2013 has been a bit of a nightmare.

In the office our computers were wiped clean and windows was installed from scratch before installing Revit 2013. Now we have experienced several problems with the Materials Editor. Revit crashes all the time, and when is not crashing is painstakingly slow. We've tried it all, disable Hardware acceleration, we even follow all the steps from the Fotfix for 2011; no results so far. 

I would appreciate if anyone can help me with this situation.

Regards,

Angelica

Message 11 of 34
khampson

Angelica,

We had the same problem at this office.

I did a complete clean uninstall of all 2013 products (directions are on the boards someplace).

I installed Revit 2013 first, made sure that was working, then AutoCAD 2013.

After installing AutoCAD 2013 is when we ran into problems on one machine, and I had to Clean uninstall both again, and install them a second time.

I hope that helps.

Kim

Message 12 of 34

Revit 2013 just crashed on me again due to the material editor! "Revit has stopped working" I've got to redo all that work again!!!!!!!!! Please fix this issue Autodesk, get on it ASAP Okay, now that's off my chest back to redo all the work I just did within the past 2 hours. Yes, I know I could be notified to save every 30 mins or hour, but that just gets annoying. Even having to redo 30 mins of work gets frustrating! How about saving journal files every half hour without having to ask, that would be better.
Message 13 of 34
nhatzi

Have been using Revit 2013 for about 4 weeks now and noticed a very similar crash, mainly happens when applying a material from the modify tab, crashing as the material browser opens.

Very annoying, crashed again but now lost the file totally when i try to open it i get "incorrect schema" and the file size has reduced from 120mb to 12kb?? I can retreive a backup file however thinking is hould hold off using 2013 until there is a fix for this.

The file was converted from a version 2012. 

Any fix for this issue?

Message 14 of 34
nhatzi

Spoke to our tech rep and said it is a graphics card driver issue, so have installed the latest driver certified by autodesk - see how it goes.

Message 15 of 34

Our IT department noticed that the problem is present when running Revit and using files from our network.

I tried to run Revit using only local files and it hasn't crashed so far (48 hours).

We also tried to switch off the hardware acceleration off, that solution can be viable but it looks that after a few days the problem is back (no reason discovered so far).

My advice: only run Revit locally and check with your IT wizard your network settings and keep waiting for the Revit 2013 Service Pack.

Message 16 of 34
Soulspace1

I'm very disappointed with the 2013 materials editor. I am also having crashing problems. This is a NEW machine with 16gb of RAM and a clean install of the operating system and Revit. Not only is the materials editor painfully slow to load, changing directories when searching for materials crashes the software.

I just did a materials rejig on a project that in 2012 would have taken less than an hour has taken me over 6 hours to accomplish.

I will now have to drop back to using 2012 as this is just not working well at all. I do remember AutoCAD R13 being an absolute failure. I am now holding this view of Revit 2013. the materials editor is central to Revit's functionality. If it does not work well, then productivity vanishes.

Message 17 of 34
vector2
in reply to: Soulspace1

Paul, I'm sorry to hear you are disappointed with Revit 2013.

You are not wrong about there being more problems with the first

release of this version than usual. But most of those issues will be

resolved hopefully in less than a month from now with the first update.

The program now has everything in it to complete a whole project, 

and this is what we have all been waiting for for a long time.

And yes it's going to take a much faster processor than we have 

known up to this time. The new Intel 22nano chips with the 3D transistors

have just arrived, and that will surely do the trick. Those processors

are being compared to a "super computer", that's how powerful they are.

Keep in touch with all of us here so we can help you with anything you

need.

Message 18 of 34
Soulspace1
in reply to: vector2

Hi Vector2

thanks for your positive message!

Out of interest, I have just started a new Revit file using both the Architectural and construction templates, and both crash whenever I use the materials editor. So unfortunately I cannot even open the materials editor any more.

I have been using autodesk products for over 25 years, and apart from the first foray into Windows which was unuseable, their software releases have been pretty good. This particular problem with Revit is exremely serious. Right now I have unusable software, and I'm not happy!

Message 19 of 34

I am not happy either. The problem has something to do with the connectivity of networks and the way Revit access files saved in network drives. When you run Revit as an administrator and use only projects, families and materials which files are saved locally in your computer the problem almost goes away.

Here in the office we are desperately waiting for the service pack to be released. For the time being we will opt for rendering in 3DS max.

Anyway, I think Autodesk should test new releases of the software extensively before making that available. Loyal users end up being part of the testing process; costing us time and money.

Below you willl find the message I've been seeing a number of times during the last weeks.

Message 20 of 34
khampson

Paul,

Do you also have Autocad @013 installed?

Try uninstalling both (clean uninstall including dleeting directories) and only install Revit 2013?

This worked perfect for me.

Kim

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report