Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revit 2014 revittemp_ files filling up hard disk

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
jose.hernandez
7870 Views, 5 Replies

Revit 2014 revittemp_ files filling up hard disk

I have a couple of computers where the hard drive is filling up with revittemp_* temp files. For example one pc had 38GB and the other had 25GB of revittemp_* files in c:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local\Temp\  directory. I understand that revit is supposed to delete these files automatically on file/program close however that is not happening. The users have restarted the program and computer during the timeframe that the revittemp files where created.

PC1: Dell Precission T3500, OS: Windows7 64bit, CPU: Intel Xeon W3580, RAM: 24GB, HD: 128GB OCZ-VERTEX4 SSD, Revit Structure 2014

PC2: Dell Precission T3600, OS: Windows7 64bit, CPU: Intel Xeon E5-1620, RAM: 24GB, HD: 120GB Kingston SVP200S3120G SSD, Revit Architecture 2014

2014-02-04T131644.png

I could create a batch to delete these files automatically however I feel that this would not address the real issue, Why are the files not deleted automatically. Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
alan.quinn
in reply to: jose.hernandez

All files in the following folder C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\Temp get deleted when Revit is closed on all the PC I tested. Are you seeing this issue on many PC's or just one? If one, did the users alter the PC setting in some way? Can you cross check with another PC? 

Thanks for posting.

Message 3 of 6

I understand Revit is supposed to delete the files in temp directory however that is not happening. I have three computer with this issue. I checked other pc's and the settings are the same.

Message 4 of 6
alan.quinn
in reply to: jose.hernandez

Will the files clear out if you re-start the PC's?

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: alan.quinn

Hi Alan,

I believe Jose already had restarting the computer listed as one of the things that was done.

I am experiencing the same problem and recently had to cull 80GB of data form a users computer because it wasn't clearing it.

I have not been able to find a setting thus far that looks after this.

We have about 30 workstations all with the same problem running a mixture of Revit 2014 and Revit LT 2014.

Currently looking at running a script via group policy to keep it under control but this seems like something we should be able to set as a setting within the program.

Has there been any further info on this?

Does it have to do with user permission?

Are there any logs you owuld like to see to assit in finding out what is causing this?

Cheers,

Ray

Message 6 of 6
jose.hernandez
in reply to: alan.quinn

Alan,

No, restarting the PC did not clear out the files.

This is the workflow I observed on these computers;

• Users opened Revit
  • worked on different rvt files using File/Open (without closing revit) Sometimes the user went several days without closing Revit.
  • Revit crashed and revittemp_ did not get deleted

I noticed that while opening different rvt files (File/Open) the revittemp_ where not deleted. They are only deleted when you close Revit. This explains why some users have more than 15GB of revittemp_ files.

What do you recommend? Should we work around this issue by asking users to close Revit regularly/daily? 

Thanks

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report