Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revit 2014 on Windows 8.1

14 REPLIES 14
Message 1 of 15
tarek.elhalabi
13102 Views, 14 Replies

Revit 2014 on Windows 8.1

Hello,

I downloaded the student version for Revit on Windows 8.1 but the product did not work succesfully, it would lag during the installation on "Preparing revit content".The installation succeeded once, but the product would not run after the splash screen, generating an error message.I have sent several reports and no one answered.

I have read on the internet that there is a revit version 13 that is compatible with windows 8.1, is there anyway I can get a 1 months trial for it? I really need revit for the next 4 weeks, I have a project due and have to do it on revit. Help please!

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
alindquist
in reply to: tarek.elhalabi

Ya I'm having the same problem. Any contact from tech support?

Message 3 of 15
DarrenP
in reply to: alindquist

there are a lot problems with Windows 8.1

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/forums/searchpage/tab/message?filter=labels&q=windows+8.1%0D%0A&search...

autodesk doesn't recommend upgrading to it

http://upandready.typepad.com/up_and_ready/2013/10/windows-81-support-please-upgrade-cautiously.html...

DarrenP
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 4 of 15
tarek.elhalabi
in reply to: DarrenP

What to do then? Apparently there is some sort of version 13 for revit 2014 compatible with windows 8.1, is there anyway I can get it?

Message 5 of 15
astoneking
in reply to: tarek.elhalabi

That would be nice to know. If we could get a response from Autodesk. Apparently autodesk tech support doesn't monitor this forum
Message 6 of 15
tarek.elhalabi
in reply to: astoneking

Apparently there is no hope, you can try changing the comptability to windows 7 but no guarantees

Message 7 of 15

Apparently there is hope. If you shut down your weak video card (Intel hd 4000) the program seems to start up as normal, because of the fact that it can only work on the good video card. Don't ask me why it does this, my teacher came with this solution. 

The negative side is, that your computer will use more energy, so when you're done using your program you should turn the weak card back on so the pc can choose again by itself.

Message 8 of 15
petebalf
in reply to: sam.deroo.t5125

I am quite surprised at the absence of any autodesk OFFICIAL statements concerning what are obvious problems that can affect revit operation when windows is upgraded to 8.1.
I have students starting this year armed with new laptops obviously running 8.1. Surely a hot fix could come out. I hear that revit 2014 installed on a machine already running 8.1 seems to work, then I hear otherwise. The student community is obviously more affected by this than the professional community who sensibly don't upgrade until the all clear, maybe during this year there might be more problems experienced by professionals.
Message 9 of 15
jessica.t
in reply to: petebalf

Hello Peter and welcome to the Autodesk Community!

We understand the frustration of our customers in regards to the Revit / Windows 8.1 compatibility issues that have been stirring.

But it's possible that the issue described in this thread is not about compatibility but with specific hardware configurations. It appears that the problem isn't specific to Revit or our software but rather an instability with the graphics driver itself.

We would like to suggest that you update to a newer driver version (from 10.18.0010.3316).

Please review our Up and Ready blog post for further information. This Intel article may also shed some light on this issue.

I hope you've found this helpful. Please feel free to respond to this message.

Thank you!

Jessica Thrasher
Message 10 of 15
petebalf
in reply to: jessica.t

@jessica.t wrote:

Hello Peter and welcome to the Autodesk Community!

We understand the frustration of our customers in regards to the Revit / Windows 8.1 compatibility issues that have been stirring.

But it's possible that the issue described in this thread is not about compatibility but with specific hardware configurations. It appears that the problem isn't specific to Revit or our software but rather an instability with the graphics driver itself.

We would like to suggest that you update to a newer driver version (from 10.18.0010.3316).

Please review our Up and Ready blog post for further information. This Intel article may also shed some light on this issue.

I hope you've found this helpful. Please feel free to respond to this message.

Thank you!

Thanks for your reply Jessica..

I however find it strange that updating to windows 8.1 caused the student no grief to any other programs than Revit 2013. How then can it be a graphics driver issue when the Revit version did not change and had no problems before the 8.1 upgrade.? It seems from the way you mention 'it is possible' that Autodesk may not actually be certain what is causing this. I have noticed that your upandready blog you linked to mentions there is a hotfix for Inventor with a similiar problem, I suppose I was assuming it was the same thing.

regards

peter

Message 11 of 15

I am also having some problem. I installed the Revit Arch 2014 successfully but while i am trying to run the application it is showing Error: Unhandled Exception. Can anyone help me please......

Message 12 of 15
susanbayford
in reply to: jessica.t

HI, I am trying Revit 2014 and 2015 on windows 8.1 and I have also tried to update and / or turn off the graphics driver as suggested. This still does not work.

I have revit 2015 on my laptop and currently it is only good for a sleek looking door stop.

Please can you advise on how you actually can get Revit 2015 to work on windows 8.1?

Thanks

Message 13 of 15
botman
in reply to: susanbayford

Please do yourself a favour: Switch back to Windows7 - 64bit. Windows 8.1 is really a major problem at itself.

Windows7 might be more basic related to 8.1 but it's stable and ok to work with.

If you want tiles, please take a look at your bathroom.....  Smiley Happy

Message 14 of 15

Dear sir,

Revit architecture 2012 is not working on my dell inspiron15 in windows 8.1. please help me due this i am suffering from my work. Beacause of this i am not able to work on my projects. please help me soon as possible.

Message 15 of 15

It will not work. See THIS LINK for Revit products and supported operating systems. The latest operating system Revit 2012 supports is Windows 7 

Louis

EESignature

Please mention Revit version, especially when uploading Revit files.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report