Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revit 2014 and Vault

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
RAMasterson
242 Views, 3 Replies

Revit 2014 and Vault

So here is my situation:

I am working as a consultant at a location where Vault is used extensively. I have no prior Vault experience, so I am a Vault newbie. Revit was never used at this site, so I am the first to get the Vault/Revit configuration to work.

For the past few weeks I have been the only Revit user and have created central files and local files and have been synchronizing to vault without issue using the normal Sync to Central methods. This will save the local file, update a copy of the Central File on my local drive (which mimics the Vault structure) and updates the Central File on the actual Vault server.

Today we brought in a second Revit user. He did a Checkout in Vault on the Revit file, which copies the central file to the local machine (mimicking the Vault structure). He then opened the Central file creating a local file.

The issue is he can’t do anything to the local file model. He keeps getting an error saying “Can't obtain permission to edit the element:  The Central Model is inaccessible.  You can check out worksets at risk, but consider carefully!”

I’m not sure what to do here. Is this a Revit issue? Is this a Vault configuration issue? Do I totally misunderstand how Vault & Revit work together?

Any help/advice is much appreciated.

BTW, this is Revit 2014 & Vault 2014, all SPs are installed, as far as I know.

Bob

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
scott.a.green
in reply to: RAMasterson

When the user is attempting to open the file are they opening under "detach from central" for worksharing, and for the open button drop down menu for worksets is it set to "editable"? The issue is caused because they do not have the permissions needed to modify the central file. Once they have opened the project as detached, they should save a local file to work on. This is a Revit issue, not Vault. 

First Name Last Name or First Name.Last Initial
Public Facing Job Title
Link Name | Link Name | Link Name | Link Name
Message 3 of 4
RAMasterson
in reply to: scott.a.green

So I am a little confused. Are you saying that the user should open the file as a "Detach from central" and then save to essentially create a Local file? Would they they have to do a SaveAs to make the file back into a Central file at the end of their editing session? At that point do you think they would be able to sync the file up to vault?

Finally, is there a better work flow for using Vault & Revit together?

Message 4 of 4
scott.a.green
in reply to: RAMasterson

Yes, you will want to detach from central and use a local file. 

For more information on Vault/Revit workflow see the following posts:

http://www.caddmicrosystems.com/blog/2011-11-revit-vault-worksharing

http://help.autodesk.com/view/VAULT/Help/ENU/?guid=GUID-A84F0F54-36D2-411C-9584-6153B50CEB21

http://help.autodesk.com/view/VAULT/Help/ENU/?guid=GUID-49694A24-A93A-4AA8-A182-10F233F10A7C

First Name Last Name or First Name.Last Initial
Public Facing Job Title
Link Name | Link Name | Link Name | Link Name

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report