Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revit 2014, Worksharing, SMB3.02 and Windows 7

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
PaulNOOA
2741 Views, 9 Replies

Revit 2014, Worksharing, SMB3.02 and Windows 7

We recently migrated our server shares from 2003 to 2012 R2. Now our users of Revit 2014 and Autocad are experiencing slower network access, especially when Worksharing is enabled.

Looking around, I saw there was an issue with a mixed OS environment (XP and 7) which meant you had to disable SMB2.

Our environment is completely Windows 7, with a few Windows 8. No XP machines.

The Autodesk site has a KB which states to disable SMB3, and by effect, SMB2 on Server 2012, but if I do that, wont everyone experience much slower network access in general? This is also not recommended by Microsoft, it's even in bold type!

I've also found references to disabling Large Receive Offload and also using Set-SmbServerConfiguration –RejectUnencryptedAccess $false

If we reduce the Worksharing Update Frequency in Revit, it helps reduce the lag a little, but the problem still happens any time Revit/AutoCAD requests an update.

Server 2008 R2 would be SMB2.1, the same as Windows 7 - so I'm spinning up a 2008 R2 server and seeing if that makes a difference.

Can anyone advise?!

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
PaulNOOA
in reply to: PaulNOOA

Moving the project to a Windows 2008 R2 server has solved the issue. However it only seems to be this project that is affected. It is shared among 4 users, but then we have another project, with about 20 users, hosted on 2012 R2, and it has been working fine for the last 4 months.
Message 3 of 10
ukdxb012

Hi Paul,

We have been experiencing this issue for over a year on and off so you are not alone. We got Both Autodesk and Microsoft involved who actually passed the blame on to each other which didn't help matters.

The first issue we had was when users were using AutoCAD. A user would open a series of 5 files from the file server, work on them, and save with no issues. Then we got reports that the user couldn't save their drawings because they were being accessed by someone else. We quickly worked out that if a second user was browsing to the server location of the files whilst they were in use, it would lock the file up. If the second user closed Windows Explorer, after a minute or so, the user could then save as normal.

We then found a post that hinted at file locks associated with SMB2 so we turned it off on the client machines and the issue went away, however speaking to IT,we get a lot of benefits from SMB2 so this is not an option to us.

Unfortunately it then came back but this time with Revit 2014 and 2015 in a different office. I too have just found the same link as you on the Autodesk Knowledgebase which we will try the suggestions on their and see how we get on. We did coincidently move the model from a Windows 2008 server to another location with windows 2008 server and we couldn't replicate the issue in the other site. The only way we could replicate was a user from the problematic site with a user from the none affected site.

I'm curious to find out if you are still in the same situation as you were or have you now fixed this as its one of those annoying issues that I want to erradicate...

Look forward to hearing from you!

P.S - We are using Windows 7, no XP. Our Revit installs are all x64 Bit. We have mostly Windows 2008 Servers, some are 2012. I'm trying my best to find a pattern to this but trying to get the users time and resource is proving difficult to say the least which is fair enough, but to fix it you also need their help.

Duncan Brannan
UK/EMEIA CAD Operations Manager
Twitter | LinkedIn

Message 4 of 10
PaulNOOA
in reply to: ukdxb012

Hi Duncan,

We have also noticed some issues with AutoCAD 2014. The files open fine and work at full speed at the start , but if another user starts to access the same central file (Revit) or XREFd file (AutoCAD) the program locks up while it tries to get the latest updates. This makes either program impossible to work with.

If we reduce the Worksharing Update Frequency in Revit, it helps reduce the lag a little, but the problem still happens any time Revit/AutoCAD request an update.

I am still yet to reproduce this error. As I mentioned before, we have a huge project on Server 2012 R2, with many users, and if it slowed down, we'd hear about it instantly! Then on another 2012 R2 server, a small project with 2 or 3 users grinds to a halt. Moving it to Server 2008 R2 always fixes it.

So we're still in the same situation, no closer to figuring out why it's happening and only a few projects seem affected.

Message 5 of 10
ukdxb012

Hi Paul,

In a way, i'm glad we are not the only ones troubled by this and i do know that other regions are essentially having difficulties as well.

FYI, we also noticed a while back the issue with PDF's and Excel documents but these issues seem to have disappeared all of a sudden. The only issue we are left with is Revit.

Our way forward in my eyes is this...

A year ago we were supporting XP and Windows 7 on our workstations, to fix this, we turned of SMB 2 on client machines with Windows 7 so that everyone was talking to the Server via SMB 1 with Windows Server 2008 R2. Now that we have removed all instances of SMB 1 (removal of XP and upgraded to Windows 7 for all machines) we are going to force via Group Policy SMB 2 on all local Workstations in the problem site. Hopefully by doing this, the issue will be removed (Fingers Crossed).

If the above isnt resolved, at least this way we have a blank canvas to start from to troubleshoot.

I have asked our local team to look into the Worksharing Update Frequency in all versions of Revit and to confirm that all versions are affected with the file locking issue.

I believe to force the issue, if you were to pick another site, turn off SMB 2 on one of the client machines, get this person to work on the same model as someone else who has SMB 2 enabled, you should be able to recreate the issue.

From your post, you mention Windows Server 2012, can you confirm that the site with this server is all using Windows 7 or do you have some Windows 8 installs? If this is the case, this means you are supporting users running SMB2 and SMB3. Try to get them all on to the same SMB to remove the problem.

Its a shot in the dark but this is what i would do.

Duncan Brannan
Twitter | LinkedIn

Message 6 of 10
PaulNOOA

Hi Duncan,

Our site has a mix of Win 7 x64 and Win 8.1 x64. Our workstations are all Win 7, only some admin staff are running Win 8. When the issues were occuring, only Win7 machines were accessing the Revit models. It may have been possible a Win8 machine on the admin side was accessing a different share on the same 2012 R2 server.

I posted on another forum, and found another user experiencing the same issues. He disabled SMB3/2 and reported improvements with Revit. It's still not an ideal fix/workaround, considering the benefits of SMB3/2 over SMB1.

Message 7 of 10
ukdxb012

Hi Paul,

Ok, we have just done some testing in the problematic site experiencing this issue.

The server currently is Windows Server 2008 R2. Our Revit Users are all on Windows 7 x64

A year ago, our server was Windows Server 2003 and was changed to 2008 R2. Thats when the issues started and SMB 2 was turned of on the client machines. By doing this we created a mixed environment of SMB 1 and 2.

We got 3 people together working on a project, all three reported the locking issue. We checked the Protocols the machines were using... 2 were SMB 1 and 1 was SMB 2.

We updated the three to SMB 2 and restarted their machines. The testers opened Revit 2013 and 2015 and tested working with each other again, however this time there was no issue!

We then identified all other users working on SMB 1 protocols and added a forth user to the mix. So we had 3 users working fine on SMB 2 and added a user on SMB 1, issue cam back! Changed the forth user to SMB 2, restarted and all was working fine again for all 4.

As a suggestion for you, seeing as you are using Windows Server 2012 and have a mixed set of users on Windows 7 and 8. If i understand correctly, your Windows 7 users are using SMB 2 and Windows 8 are using SMB 3. Based on what we found above, all it would therefore take is one user with an install of Revit collaborating with others in the local site to cause the issue if they are using different protocols to the other Revit Users.

If you could possibly turn off SMB 3 so all Win 7 and 8 users use SMB 2, i would hope, fingers crossed that the issue disappears for you.

I beleive thats why when you put windows Server 2008 R2 in place, everyone whether Win 7 or 8 are forced to all use SMB 2 protocols.

Hope all that makes sense.

Duncan Brannan
Twitter | LinkedIn

Message 8 of 10
ukdxb012

How did you get on? FYI, we seem to have removed the issue! 🙂

Duncan Brannan
Twitter | LinkedIn

Message 9 of 10
PaulNOOA

Hi Duncan,

I haven't changed the SMB version on any machines yet. It seems to only be affecting some projects, so we'll just move them to Server 2008 on a case by case basis.

Unfortunately disabling SMB3 on Windows 8 or Server 2012, also disables SMB2. So then every machine will have to be reduced to SMB1, which among other things, is not optimised for gigabit networks, according to Microsoft's article. They also state in bold letters, "Warning: We do not recommend that you disable SMBv2 or SMBv3. Disable SMBv2 or SMBv3 only as a temporary troubleshooting measure. Do not leave SMBv2 or SMBv3 disabled."

I'd rather move our shares back to Server 2008 R2 until Autodesk or Microsoft resolve this.

Thanks for your help in confirming this, I only hope as more people notice this, it will put pressure on Autodesk/Microsoft to fix it!

Message 10 of 10
PaulNOOA

MS Principal Program Manager, Ned Pyle, has offered to talk with Revit Devs to hopefully help fix this longstanding issue

Please contact him!! https://twitter.com/NerdPyle/status/777156516000378881

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report