Revit Architecture

Active Contributor
arcitek
Message 1 of 6 (2,012 Views)
Accepted Solution

Revit 2014-Custom Family Type Material Editing

2012 Views, 5 Replies
01-05-2014 08:07 PM

This has been a rough day for Revit frustration.  Some of this is user error I am sure which makes it worse.

I am trying to take a custom counter I created as a family and have it show a material in my project.  It seems that no matter how I apply the material parameter to the family type object, type or instanced, the material does not change in the project when I apply any new material.  I have opened up other countertops I have used from the Revit Default Casework Family and I can't seem to find a difference in the setup between mine and Revit.  I wanted to use an instanced parameter so I can change the material per room where the object is used.

I've watched two you tube videos on applying materials to family creations and I seem to be doing it right but I am having no success.  Any thoughts?

anthonyatpvh
Message 2 of 6 (1,997 Views)

Re: Revit 2014-Custom Family Type Material Editing

01-05-2014 09:30 PM in reply to: arcitek

The material is set in the family correctly, but it has not yet been assigned to the counter top element. In this case you have only one element in your family, but other families may have multiple elements that you wish to have materials applied to. We need to tell Revit that this is the element we want the material assigned to.

Select the element; look to the Properties dialog; find Material in the list; hit the little rectangle at the right hand end; from the dialog that opens, change the association from <none> to Material; hit OK; save and load into your project.

Good luck.

Active Contributor
arcitek
Message 3 of 6 (1,988 Views)

01-05-2014 10:09 PM in reply to: anthonyatpvh

I went through and did what you said.  For some reason the material is not showing in the project.  I attached the file AND a screen capture.  Not sure what the deal is since I just did a nice family creation tutorial dealing with setting up materials on multiple family objects and everyting worked fine.

This countertop is a different story and it is just one object!  I opened the countertop rfa file, selected the countertop object, selected family types, added material parameter as an instance, closed/ saved file, inserted into project, selected, changed material type in properties to wood and I still see the grey default color.

Thanks for the help!

EDIT:  Just to test that there is nothing wrong with the project, I tried inserting countertop into a new project file.  I still get the grey material even after I assign a new material in properties.

anthonyatpvh
Message 4 of 6 (1,977 Views)

01-05-2014 10:23 PM in reply to: arcitek

The countertop object has still not yet had the material parameter assigned to it. Everything else looks fine.

See the attached image. It should say what my words didn't - hopefully.

Good luck.

Active Contributor
arcitek
Message 5 of 6 (1,960 Views)

01-05-2014 10:40 PM in reply to: anthonyatpvh

Funny thing is I did get it to work doing what you just said but then it still did not work when I pulled it into the project.  So, I deleted the countertop in the project and copied the successful one from the test project into the real project and it worked.  Now I am wondering if part of the issue was that the current project was holding old family types in it.  Even after I deleted certain family types for this counter, they still show in the type drop down list. 

Anyway, you were helpful and I thank you for that.  I just wish I knew exactly what happend.

anthonyatpvh
Message 6 of 6 (1,951 Views)

01-05-2014 10:53 PM in reply to: arcitek

Family editing and parameters can be tricky. When reloading the family into the project, sometimes overriding existing parameters will achiece what I want: but on other occasions I will need to delete and purge the family from the project to get the params as I would like.

The family Types behaviour is correct: once Types are in the project, then deleting them from the family won't remove them from the project - you will have to Purge those out. 

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Revit Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for Revit helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Revit

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Youtube