Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revit 2014-Custom Family Type Material Editing

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
arcitek
8000 Views, 5 Replies

Revit 2014-Custom Family Type Material Editing

This has been a rough day for Revit frustration.  Some of this is user error I am sure which makes it worse.

I am trying to take a custom counter I created as a family and have it show a material in my project.  It seems that no matter how I apply the material parameter to the family type object, type or instanced, the material does not change in the project when I apply any new material.  I have opened up other countertops I have used from the Revit Default Casework Family and I can't seem to find a difference in the setup between mine and Revit.  I wanted to use an instanced parameter so I can change the material per room where the object is used.

I've watched two you tube videos on applying materials to family creations and I seem to be doing it right but I am having no success.  Any thoughts?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
anthonyatpvh
in reply to: arcitek

The material is set in the family correctly, but it has not yet been assigned to the counter top element. In this case you have only one element in your family, but other families may have multiple elements that you wish to have materials applied to. We need to tell Revit that this is the element we want the material assigned to.

Select the element; look to the Properties dialog; find Material in the list; hit the little rectangle at the right hand end; from the dialog that opens, change the association from <none> to Material; hit OK; save and load into your project.

Good luck.

Message 3 of 6
arcitek
in reply to: anthonyatpvh

I went through and did what you said.  For some reason the material is not showing in the project.  I attached the file AND a screen capture.  Not sure what the deal is since I just did a nice family creation tutorial dealing with setting up materials on multiple family objects and everyting worked fine.

This countertop is a different story and it is just one object!  I opened the countertop rfa file, selected the countertop object, selected family types, added material parameter as an instance, closed/ saved file, inserted into project, selected, changed material type in properties to wood and I still see the grey default color.

Thanks for the help!

EDIT:  Just to test that there is nothing wrong with the project, I tried inserting countertop into a new project file.  I still get the grey material even after I assign a new material in properties.

Message 4 of 6
anthonyatpvh

The countertop object has still not yet had the material parameter assigned to it. Everything else looks fine.

See the attached image. It should say what my words didn't - hopefully.

Good luck.

Message 5 of 6
arcitek
in reply to: anthonyatpvh

Funny thing is I did get it to work doing what you just said but then it still did not work when I pulled it into the project.  So, I deleted the countertop in the project and copied the successful one from the test project into the real project and it worked.  Now I am wondering if part of the issue was that the current project was holding old family types in it.  Even after I deleted certain family types for this counter, they still show in the type drop down list. 

Anyway, you were helpful and I thank you for that.  I just wish I knew exactly what happend.

Message 6 of 6
anthonyatpvh

Family editing and parameters can be tricky. When reloading the family into the project, sometimes overriding existing parameters will achiece what I want: but on other occasions I will need to delete and purge the family from the project to get the params as I would like.

The family Types behaviour is correct: once Types are in the project, then deleting them from the family won't remove them from the project - you will have to Purge those out. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report