Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revit 2014 Corrupts Revit 2012 and 2013 Ribbon Menu (?)

26 REPLIES 26
Message 1 of 27
ebowman
29907 Views, 26 Replies

Revit 2014 Corrupts Revit 2012 and 2013 Ribbon Menu (?)

I know this sounds improbable, but after installing Revit Architecture 2014, My Revit 2012 and 2013 Ribbon Menus are messed up.

The options on the ribbon for any selected object are either wrong or missing altogether. I have to cycle through all the ribbon menu displays (little button at the top right) until I"m back to the full menu display, which then looks correct, but after selecting edit sketch, or anything else, the menu is screwed up again and I have to cycle through the ribbon display options again for it to display correctly.

In sketch mode, the menu items are of the wrong category, and Revit appears confused about what mode it's in. Just selecting a stair or floor, puts it half into sketch mode, with the wrong set of tools available. The family editor has the same problem, offering "edit family" on the ribbon when a simple extrusion is selected. Again, cycling through the ribbon menu display types will bring up the correct menu, which works for one click, and then you have to cycle through another 4 clicks of the ribbon menu options again.

Uninstalling Revit 2014 doesn't fix it, and running a repair on 2012 doesn't fix it, and a re-install of 2012 doesn't fix it. I'm now trying an uninstall and re-install of 2012.

26 REPLIES 26
Message 2 of 27
LongNguyenP
in reply to: ebowman

Same problem here

One quick fix is collapse and then re-expand the ribbon.

Message 3 of 27
MKEllis
in reply to: LongNguyenP

Exactly the same issue here as well.

The collapse of the ribbon bar seems to resolve it most of the time - but it sometimes gets 'stuck' in a tool (most often Beam System) where it is looking for a certain response (ie picking the boundary) but with no option to do so. Pressing Escape doesn't seem to terminate the action either.

Only solution I've found so far is to close the file and re-open when it is in this state.

Weird - as it was working on fine this morning, before I installed and opened the 2014 version.

Message 4 of 27
MKEllis
in reply to: MKEllis

Anyone found a solution to this ?

It's getting increasingly frustrating - and is impacting on productivity.

In case it has any relevance:

Are you guys on stand-alone Revit - or Building Design Suite ?

I'm on Building Design Suite 2013 - with upgrade to 2014 installed today.

I couldn't get the 'install' option on the upgrade page to work - so I downloaded via the browser download option which provided me with the 4 executable files.

I installed Revit 2014, Autocad 2014, Navisworks 2013, 3ds Max Design 2014 (but not Autocad Architecture, MEP or Structural)

OS is Windows 7 64bit

Message 5 of 27
ebowman

This hotfix solved my ribbon menu problem.

It's the .NET fix

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=21344242&linkID=9273944
Message 6 of 27
ebowman

So to make a short story long, the ribbon problem has nothing to do with Revit 2014 so much as it does the version of .NET that it installs during intallation (look .net up in wikipoedia if you have trouble sleeping). Nothing has chnaged in the other application folders, they just don't work so well with the new .net runing elseware in the computer.

The hotfix has you manually replace the adWindows.dll in the C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Revit Architecture 2012\Program folder with a newer version that works with the new .net.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong (Autodesk?), but I'm guessing that we'll have to perform this manual hotfix on every installation of Revit 2012 and 2013 until it get's rolled into an update 1 for Revit 2014 or  perhaps there's a more automated fix routine in the works?

Thanks All!

Eric

Message 7 of 27
MKEllis

Thanks Eric.

I have experienced the problem with Revit 2013 - and there appears to be no hot fix for that version.

Having checked elsewhere for into on the .Net issue - it seems that I need Update 2 to be installed, but have run into issues in trying that update process.

I'll keep plugging on.

Martin

Message 8 of 27
MKEllis

OK - fixed now.

I was trying to update with the wrong files.

Thanks to another post in this forum, there is a different page for the updates for the Building Design Suite 2013 than for Revit Architecture 2013 - Even though the files look to be the same (exact same size) they are obviously looking for different components.

If anyone has the same issue, links for the updates are:

Building Design Suite Premium 2013

update 1: http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=20121968&linkID=16831210

update 2: http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=20679039&linkID=16831210

Revit Architecture 2013

Update 1: http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=20121970&linkID=9273944

Update 2: http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=20679231&linkID=9273944

Anyhow - having updated Revit, the Ribbon Issue appears to have been resolved.

Thanks everyone for the links - it was driving me nuts.

Martin

Message 9 of 27
paul.brodrick

I have also just experienced the same issue with trying to edit filled regions. Does anyone from Autodesk care to respond to this as it is obviously not an isolated case.

If there is one thing that really annoys the hell out of me it is the total lack of communication from Autodesk. 

Message 10 of 27
MKEllis

Have you tried the updates linked above ?

Message 11 of 27

I have the same problem with my 2012 version. Are the updates also for the 2012 versions?

Message 12 of 27

Ribbon behavior problems occur in Revit 2012 and 2013 after the installation of Microsoft .NET 4.5, which is one of the pre-requisite for Revit 2014.  This is why this problem is typically encountered after Revit 2014 is installed side-by-side with a previous version of Revit.  For those using Revit 2012, the Autodesk Revit 2012 - Ribbon behavior due to .Net 4.5 installation hotfix will resolve this problem.  And for Revit 2013 users, the fix is included in the latest update releases, which are available from the following links: Revit Architecture, Revit MEP, Revit Structure, and Revit.

Tony Michniewicz

Autodesk Revit QA

Tony Michniewicz
Revit Software QA Analyst
Message 13 of 27
ita
Explorer

I have found the Add-Ins for 2013 do not work. When Revit 2013 loads, it comes up with error messages for 5 apps . . . . the only resolution is to cancel the loading of the apps.  Apps for which I still have licensed subscriptions do not work . . . so not only have I have lost the app but also a resulting loss of productivity.

CRUG 2013 will not load . . . . so my favourite Type Catalog generator is not available as well!!!   😞

I am working as a Revit facilitator with an organisation that is running both RA2013 and RA2014 . . . . my application is Revit 2014 Ultimate Design Suite.

Message 14 of 27

Thanks Tony, the update resolved the issue.
Message 15 of 27
salvadordejesus

I tried this one, it works, But the color problem in Revit 2012 has no hotfix yet as of this writing.

Message 16 of 27
TiffyWiffyEiffy

My revit and autocad is messed up. Can someone help me. I have 2013 autocad mep and revit mep. I downloaded the new 2014 versions. Well it screwed up my 2013 revit and it screwed up my 2014 autocad. My 2014 autocad is having the same problems in this group discussion. But I cant find a 2013 or 2014 service pack. The problem that I'm having is some tabs are missing in the electrical section. Where I can't rehost componets. I also have the Microsoft.net framework 4.5. My revit was alot worse than what it is now. But I re installed the microsoft.net framework 4.5 and I got some tabs back but not all. In my 2014 autocad is just like the 2012 in this discussion. If anyone can figure this out. I would be greatfull! 

Message 17 of 27
it
Community Visitor

same problem i have man, any solution????

Message 18 of 27
sam_rangel17

I just have to say thank you for everyone who contributed to this posting and for bringing this problem up. I'm a senior in high school and I just recently downloaded the software and the ribbons were driving me crazy too. I asked my teacher and he didn't know and others were clueless so when I saw this posting and got those links I just now fixed the problem and things are running smooth again. Thanks!
Message 19 of 27
gis
Explorer

The links does not work!

Message 20 of 27

2012 hotfix link worked for me. Thanks to all!

I windows .NET update is indeed the culprit. If you just ran a windows update, look out for bugs in Revit.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report