Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revit 2014 All Materials Shaded as Gray

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
chadcross
14728 Views, 11 Replies

Revit 2014 All Materials Shaded as Gray

I'm having a problem with Autodesk / AEC Materials. I've started a new project, assigned materials, and completed the first floor of the project and went to check in 3d view the progress, and noticed all the materials show up as gray, whether in shaded, realistic, or ray-trace. I have changed the "shading" parameter inside the materials to "Use Render Appearance", and still nothing. See attached screenshots.

I am using 2x Geforce GTS 250 on W7 x64. I have tried with Hardware Acceleration on / off.

Could this be a corrupt material library 2014 install? I tried repair installations for all from add/remove programs. These materials have worked in the past, but I hadn't used Revit in awhile...

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
chadcross
in reply to: chadcross

Well I feel stupid. After uninstalling/reinstalling, repairing, and reading I have found my solution. It dawned on me after selecting a wall and seeing that it wasn't set to new construction that I forgot to set the view properties phase filter to "show complete". Everything was marked as existing, and thus was displaying as gray because I had previously selected "show all".

Hopefully this helps someone out down the line who forgets to set all views to phase new construction after completing all existing sitework, at least then it will only be the site that displays as gray and they won't think there is something wrong with the material library.

"Show Complete" under phase filter is the solution here...

Message 3 of 12
damo3

Have you ever thought to rename your phases to something more obvious? I have deleted all the phase filters and created my own. they read, existing documentation, new documetation and demolition documentation. i simply select what is appropriate to my view. I can't stand the OTB filters, there is too many and they make an otherwise simple thing, overly complicated. 

Just a thought. 

________________________________________________________________________________
If you find posts have solved your problem, please don't forget to mark them as 'SOLVED' to help others with similar questions. - Thank you.
__________________________________________________________________________________
Message 4 of 12
lowennac

I just did the exact same thing - Thank you so much for this post!! Want to palm face myself so bad right now!!

Message 5 of 12
dhyan_mahasukh

thank you, i am freaking out about the same situation.  then i read your post.  i am also embarrassed but now smiling.

thanks again

mahasukh

Message 6 of 12
katie.barnes

Oh my gosh! I've just been searching everywhere for an answer to my bizarre grey model with all materials selected 'use render appearance' So happy I had the exact same problem, Thanks!

Message 7 of 12
DMK™

Thanks, was about to reinstall all revit stuff, but fortunately found this, saver few hours(fp)

Message 8 of 12
seihyun.pyo1

This needs to come up first on google search result for noobs like me.. Finally saw this after getting frustrated for hours

Message 9 of 12
benjaminEF9TH

"Hopefully this helps someone out down the line"...

Well, here we are several years later and it's still helping! I even contacted a bim expert that I know to help me figure out why my linked models were all gray. It's an easy fix, but not readily apparent. Thank you for taking the time to explain your solution!

Message 10 of 12
usamaayubaps

7 years later.  I am having the same issue that my walls shows grey color although I have selected all types of walls and all of them show grey.  Please tell me how to fix it. 

Message 11 of 12
usamaayubaps
in reply to: seihyun.pyo1

Please can you show me step wise procedure. How to fix it. I am new to revit.
Message 12 of 12
ToanDN
in reply to: usamaayubaps

Set the view's phase filter to Show Complete.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report