Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revit 2013 Multiple Buildings in One Project

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
onLooSe
7446 Views, 3 Replies

Revit 2013 Multiple Buildings in One Project

Hi guys! First of all excuse me for my bad english. I'm Bulgarian, so I will do my best to explain my problem.
I used Revit Architecture for a long long time and I'm really happy about it 🙂 But 'till now I worked with individual buildings (making the surrounding environment with in-place mass) or smaller interior designs. Now I have the opportunity to work on a mountain resort right next to a lake. I need to include:

1. One type of independent 2 story house.
2. Turn the independent house into a chain of houses - 3-4 or more put together.
3. Main hotel building - atleast 4 stars with restaurant, conference rooms, indoor pool, spa ... etc.
4. Boat club + restaurant at the very lake.
4. Landscape and urban solution of all those together.

So, basically - how to put all those together so they can be worked by engineers also and to allow myself to do one huge render scene altogether?
I think that I might have a solution but I wanted to ask you first...

My idea is to create a template with all necessary items in it - wall types... styles... Linked CAD DWG to the site plan view and input the project origin coordinates/true north. After that I'll start to build the different buildings in separate projects based to that template:

1. Independent house type.
2. Project file with the same house but with two clean exterior walls where the other houses will attach and by others I mean they will be all in-place mass objects - only exterior work for them (being the same as all the rest)
3. The boat renting club (same design as the house but with different interior layout)... so another file for it aswell.
4. I will do the hotel building by Conceptual Mass Family and load it into one of the previous project files.

After all that I have to use Link Revit Project button in the insert tab and this is the point I'm not sure what to do about:

1. Will they connect according to the same origin coordinates and I shouldn't move them in place manually?
2. What to do with the Landscape and the toposurface?
                  -should I make individual toposurface around every building and when all are in the same project just to "connect the dots" of the toposurface?
(the terrain is really unbalanced and different in this huge site and I want to preserve that!)
                  -should I place the buildings in one file and after that to make the surface? Will I be able to edit building pads and stuff around a linked buildings in the main project?

I'm using the following software:
Autodesk Revit 2013
Autodesk AutoCad 2013
Autodesk 3DS MAX Design 2013
Lumion 3D 3

I really want to make the renderings of the whole environment in Lumion so I need to set up the whole project in one collada file to be able to do so. And 'cuz of that I have another problem:
I don't have collada exporter for Revit, so I use the workaround - Link it in 3DS max - then export to collada for Lumion. The Objects are pitch black (cuz I can't figure out the inport settings to acquire the textures) when inported but with recognizable surfaces and different materials so I'm able to pick and assign textures in Lumion for the render. But what will happen with all those linked into one Revit projects - going through 3ds max and than in Lumion? Even with the same template and exterior wall materials and stuff? When I assign one material to an in-place mass exterior wall - will that be assign to all the rest + my independent project single house and the hotel building if they have the same material name?

And Last question 😄 - Will I be able to change something in one of the smaller project files (for instance the single house) and apply the changes in the huge file without rearranging the whole stuff?

Thank you Autodesk for the great Revit experience... That's the only thing I couldn't figure out so far (probably 'cuz I just don't know the solution so far) 🙂

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
bimandict
in reply to: onLooSe

Hi,

I can give a quick response now and this is how I would approach it.

Create a site model where you set up the coordinates i.e.. survey and base point.

Produce individual building models (and other models e.g.. landscape etc) close to zero origin in revit.

Link the models in to the site model and publish the coordinates to the linked files.

Make sure that the individual building models are not moved in their original files!!!

As for viz work Im not the best person to comment.

Regards,

Jimi Clarke

BIM Manager - London
Microsoft Cloud Services Partner
Message 3 of 4
onLooSe
in reply to: bimandict

Thank you Mr. Clarke! I tried this solution in test projects and works like a charm! Thanks for reminding me about the publishing coordinates button in the manage tab! 🙂
I think that's the best solution as far as my experience goes but if someone has another ideas post them and I will try them all to find the easiest one.

Still I don't want to close the topic 'cuz of the materials and rendering questions I've asked... Even when I load Lumion 3D it says "Powered by Autdoesk", so I hope the topic doesn't need to be closed for now 🙂

Message 4 of 4
simonn
in reply to: onLooSe

hi we are having some problems with large files as well.

fairly detailed revit model of 10 tower blocks

each linked to site model with published co-ords

then revit linked to 3d max

this is where it falls on its  R'S 

max crashes is this because the site file with all the information attached is too far away from the 0,0,0 co-ords so max cant handle it?

help would be appreciated.

On the material side linking and using mats in 3d max and vray are easy just check the scale in the mats tab to match the one in revit file and all's good.

unfortunately for us we also use maxwell! so we found out if we add 0.256 x 0.256 in the material x and y we can retain revits uvw mapping for materials especially brickwork that goes round corners.

thanks

and hope some of that waffles helps

simon.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report