Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revit 2012 local file creation

14 REPLIES 14
Message 1 of 15
dwahlz
9823 Views, 14 Replies

Revit 2012 local file creation

I still have users using the old workflow (pre-2010) of creating local files by copying and pasting the central file from the server to their C drive and renaming the local copy.  Is this workflow still supported in Revit 2012?

I have been suggesting to users to use the worksharing options in the open project browser, but sometimes for some people habits are hard to break, do I need to be concerned?  Will this old workflow cause issues in 2012?

Thank you.

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
Alfredo_Medina
in reply to: dwahlz

I don't like that workflow at all. How does that create a connection between a local file and a central?

The correct procedure is:

Big R > Open > Projects > Find and select the central file > check "Create local" > Open

Then, Revit creates the local copy in the user's profile folders, adding the user name as a suffix to the local copy.

If Revit does this automatically, why would the users do that manually?

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 3 of 15
dwahlz
in reply to: Alfredo_Medina

Hi Alfredo, thanks for the reply.

I know what the correct procedure or the procedure Autodesk recommends, but this is only the case of a few versions now, previous work flow was to copy and paste the central fiel to a local location.  Users still do this because that is what they were initially told/taught to do.

I have only come accross one issue where it seemed this work flow was to blame.  Otherwise all my users have been working without any MAJOR issues.

I am curious if anyone out there is still using the old workflow, or if Autodesk can chime in to let me know if this is still a supported workflow (even if not recommended).

Thanks

Message 4 of 15
loboarch

@dwahlz wrote:

I still have users using the old workflow (pre-2010) of creating local files by copying and pasting the central file from the server to their C drive and renaming the local copy.  Is this workflow still supported in Revit 2012?

I have been suggesting to users to use the worksharing options in the open project browser, but sometimes for some people habits are hard to break, do I need to be concerned?  Will this old workflow cause issues in 2012?

Thank you.

This workflow should still be ok to use, but it is so much more difficult than opening the central file with the "create local" option checked.  I think a "re-education" program is in order.  I suspect not many users would prefer the "old way" once they are aware of how much easier it is now.

Jeff Hanson
Principal Content Experience Designer
Revit Help |
Message 5 of 15
dwahlz
in reply to: loboarch

Thank you Jeff,

I suspect the only advantages older users like is the flexability of being able to name the local what they want and to be able to put the locals (and local backups) in project specific folders where they can organize as they want.

Message 6 of 15
Alfredo_Medina

I would like to know how Revit creates a connection between the local and the central by doing it this way. If I just copy/paste a central, and name it my way, and save it by myself in another folder, what happens when use Syncronize with Central > Syncronize now? How does Revit know where the central is? That is the part that I don't understand of this old method.

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 7 of 15
loboarch
in reply to: Alfredo_Medina

Alfredo_Medina wrote:

I would like to know how Revit creates a connection between the local and the central by doing it this way. If I just copy/paste a central, and name it my way, and save it by myself in another folder, what happens when use Syncronize with Central > Syncronize now? How does Revit know where the central is? That is the part that I don't understand of this old method.

It is "magic" as far as I know.  I just don't have enough file architecture knowledge to be able to answer that.  It "just happens".  I am sure there is something in the file header that contains this original pathing information.

Jeff Hanson
Principal Content Experience Designer
Revit Help |
Message 8 of 15
Alfredo_Medina
in reply to: loboarch

Oh, I see... as they say now, it happens "automagically"... 🙂

Maybe some unique identificator in the central file... but still, ...strange....

Thanks, Jeff.

Message 9 of 15

Are there any issues with a user always opening their local copy of a central file and just synchronizing before they do any work?  I've read a lot of articles online that say you should always create a new local copy from central, but this seems unneccesary to me. 

Advantages of opening from the local:

- The local file is what appears in your recent files on your main home-screen

- Don't have to navigate to a location on your server to find the central file

- Whatever worksets are opened/closed in your local retain that status as long as you keep opening from the local copy. This eliminates the need to specify which worksets to open.

Message 10 of 15

I was taught the 'old' method about 8 years ago and I default to it out of habit. It continues to work just fine - there should not be any problems continuing to use it. Yes there is the 'new' method which also works great. I guess which ever they are comfortable with. 

To clarify the mystery of how it magically knows... The attached image shows where it keeps this bit of info. When it is copied it keeps this and makes the connection. 

I do understand the pros you have for retaining your local copy. The one advantage I have known is if you recreate from the central file you don't have to sync to get the latest info. Otherwise you will need to sync to make sure you have the latest changes in your local file.

It works either way thought - what ever people are comfortable with - it will work.

Hope this helps.

LD

If this helped solve your issue - remember to 'accept as solution' to help other find answers!
You can't think AutoCAD and run Revit.
Email: LisaDragoEE@gmail.com
Message 11 of 15
gsudheer

When we are able to copy central file from it's original location to local drive or any other PC, it mean all PC's are in same network. While we saving a file as central file, that time the path is assigned to central file. So with in the particular LAN from any PC we will get access to central file. Like that it is linked with central file and updates when we synchronized. See the attached image for central file path. I have saved file in my D drive. If i copied that central file to other drives in same PC, that one becomes local file and it will get connected with central file which is in D drive.

Sudheer
Message 12 of 15
gsudheer

Not only Revit 2012, Revit 2013 also supports the old process. There is nothing wrong & loss creating local file in old process.

Sudheer
Message 13 of 15

Hi,

The options and arguments for various ways of opeining a local copy is a few. I think it should come down to best practice. In my experience (PTM @ BDP-London) the way that has 100% success rate is to navigate  to the Central Model with in Revit, Create New Local is checked by default, Open.

Using other ways, implemented by new BIM coordinators for example, has proven to cause some issues. This may be, and in some cases are, down to users not being 100% sure what they are doing and just do as they are told. Further training and more importatly more project experience i.e. time will help in preventing errors. 

My argument is not that other ways are wrong but that proven methodes should be used for the best of the business. The proven way for me is the navigate to the central method and this is our best practice method.

Jimi

Regards,

Jimi Clarke

BIM Manager - London
Microsoft Cloud Services Partner
Message 14 of 15
gsudheer
in reply to: gsudheer

Hi,

Till today i have not faced any problem by creating local file by older process. Any how i will start using proven method. But I would like to know what kind of issues or errors will occur if we created local file by using other then proven methodes.

Sudheer Kumar G

Sudheer
Message 15 of 15
bimandict
in reply to: gsudheer

Hi,

One issue  we had was that the Central model had been opened as some point on a few of the user machines. They were also told (not by my self) to use the shortcut on the start screen. As a result the users with limited experience using Revit unknowlingly opened the Central model to work as this was the last opened file in the shortcut list.

Obviously issues like this can be resolved with further training, close monitoring and over time with more experience.

My point of using a error free method is that time and effort can be spent on other more problematic issues.

What ever method that is adapted I think it is important that it is documented as the standard in the office and the use of the standards should be supported by directors, associates and project managers. The at least when a problem is highlighted we (BIM Managers and PTM's) know where to look and we don't have to work out what method has been used.

Jimi

Regards,

Jimi Clarke

BIM Manager - London
Microsoft Cloud Services Partner

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report