Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revit 2011 hangs when opening or creating a new project

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
Anonymous
3093 Views, 9 Replies

Revit 2011 hangs when opening or creating a new project

Hi All,

Wanted to let you know about something that has
just come up in Product Support.  Revit 2011 products appear to hang if the
ArchVision Content Manager is set to local with no executable location. 
You can start Revit, but not open or create a project.

We've created a Technical solution that explains
how to fix the issue:

Hope this helps,

--
Harlan Brumm
Autodesk Product
Support
Click Here to Take Our Survey: http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/86MH8JX 
Check
out Autodesk Blogs: http://blogs.autodesk.com 
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
ktaltd
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi {font:Arial}{size:2}Harlan {size}{font}
This has not fixed my hang issue. I am running Revit 2010 and 2011 (64bit) on a Dell M6400 notebook quad core system with Windows 7 64 Ultimate, 8G RAM. The time to start a Revit session from scratch is currently 4 minutes?? on a system that has been starting Revit 2010 in under 15 seconds.
The initial install worked fine last week but on Friday, the start-up times across the system starting slowing. The existing Revit 2010 version completely stopped and would not start. Revit 2010 had been running well for the last year. The AutoCAD 2010 also slowed taking nearly two minutes to start-up.
So far, I have removed the entire 2010 and 2011 Revit suites along with the 2011 Max Design and reinstalled only Revit 2011, remove the virus software, cleanly uninstalled Revit 2011 following your sequences below, reinstalled the video drivers and still no joy.
Seems to hang on the "recent files screen" and I do remember there was an issue with this screen and its compatibly with IE 8? with Revit 2010 64bit.
Any ideas apart from completely rebuilding my system from scratch. All the other software loaded on the system is working fine.

The Hang Description is as follows:
A problem caused this program to stop interacting with Windows.

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: AppHangB1
Application Name: Revit.exe
Application Version: 2011.0.2010.326
Application Timestamp: 4bad4bff
Hang Signature: 2087
Hang Type: 256
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1
Locale ID: 5129
Additional Hang Signature 1: 2087cbf4f22d616f1e2511d3de6aea29
Additional Hang Signature 2: 1033
Additional Hang Signature 3: 103340becbdf202639dbb844fceb771c
Additional Hang Signature 4: 2087
Additional Hang Signature 5: 2087cbf4f22d616f1e2511d3de6aea29
Additional Hang Signature 6: 1033
Additional Hang Signature 7: 103340becbdf202639dbb844fceb771c

I will also log this as a case though my subscription site.

Kerry
Message 3 of 10
ktaltd

Hi

Thank you for every ones input.

In the end I rebuilt the system re-installing Windows 7 64 and I must say it was a lot less painful than I thought. Whole process, including reinstall of software takes around 4 hours.

In relation to the problems above, I was also having issues with 2010 so made the decision to replace the operating system. The installed Windows 7 was an upgrade on Vista 64 so there was probably a few issues lingering from that.

Windows 7 64 reinstalled itself while keeping all my data, copying the program specific data into a windows.old directory and after installing the Dell system drivers etc., my Revit 2011 now loads in 15 seconds rather than 10 minutes. 2010 works as well.

I made sure I could see the "hidden files" in the Windows Explorer in order to access the Program data directories.

All in all it solved the issue and is probably the way to go if the effort involved in solving an issue is more than 4 hours.

Did have a slight scare when installing a program called AutoIT which I use for CAD and BIM automation. Installing this software with its 64bit extensions compromised the operation of Revit so it was backed out and installed as a 32bit application.

Thanks

Kerry
Edited by: ktaltd on Apr 28, 2010 12:59 AM
Message 4 of 10
schsy02

Hello Kerry,
I am having the same issue with Revit 2010. Unfortunately, nothing changed on my computer. I bet you something was changed online at Autodesk however that is causing all of the Revit 2010 versions to now have a hickup.
That is unfortunate since I am trying to participate in that student competition and cannot get Revit 2010 to work.
I cannot reinstall my OS (I also have a fresh install of Windows 7, so no, not a chance that this is an upgrade issue). I used to work in computers and I bet this is some registry key that changed.
I have not had any luck reinstalling Revit 2010 and will now give up in frustration. But Autodesk seriously needs to accept responsibility for this. Every time the version changes the older ones stop working. I have bought my computer mainly to run Revit 2010 and sorry, it is simply unacceptable that this software is suddenly no longer running.
Did they reply for a solution to you otherwise?
Thank you
Sylvia
Message 5 of 10
swebster

The link to the techincal solution link does not work. When you scroll over it is not a clickable link. I have seen this issue throughout other Autodesk pages. Please fix this.

Message 6 of 10
harlan_brumm
in reply to: swebster

I've updated the thread so that the link should be working now. 

Harlan Brumm
Sr Product Line Manager, Core Capabilities and Collaboration Services
Message 7 of 10
sgoodmansen

This fix only works if you don't have too much content in your RPC folder.  I made the fix, but Revit kept hanging as soon as I tried opening a new or existing project.  After doing a little digging on the internet, I discovered that if you point ACM to a folder with only a few RCPs than Revit opened as it should.

Does Autodesk have a fix for this yet?  Right now I have to point to the folder with fewer RPC to get Revit to launch, but change it to the full folder if I want it all to show up in Max.  Its an ok workaround, but certainly not ideal.

I'm only mildly interested in RPC content in Revit, but I really need it in Max.  Is there any way to disable the whole RCP search within Revit, so I get the full benefit in Max and can still open my revit without changing paths in ACM?

Message 8 of 10
harlan_brumm
in reply to: sgoodmansen

Hello,

Unfortunately, there is not a way to disable the whole RPC from running.  Right now, the only workaround is changing the folder to one that has less RPCs as you said.  I beleive that the number of RPCs that Revit will not hang with is about 300. 

The good news is that this is currently planned to be addressed in the next update for Revit 2011 products.  I cannot say when the updated is going to be released, and sometimes, things that are planned to be fixed miss the cut, but right now, it is planned to get fixed. 

Thanks,    

Harlan Brumm
Sr Product Line Manager, Core Capabilities and Collaboration Services
Message 9 of 10
sgoodmansen
in reply to: harlan_brumm

Thanks Harlan, good to know you guys are working on a fix.

Message 10 of 10
bxi1

I'm running revit architecture 2011 on parallel desktop 7, Intel quad core GHz, 16GB Ram 750 HDD Ati radon 6570M. i com across the exact same thing, revit just hang there with a spining circle of the curser.  I try to open revit.ini but i can not locate the [ACMsetting] . However revit 2011 will run on a 4GB ram, Intel core i3 1.33gHz, 320GB HDD with imbuilt graphics hard.  I don't see why it's doing this.  System requirements shouldn't be the problem. 

Description:
A problem caused this program to stop interacting with Windows.

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: AppHangB1
Application Name: Revit.exe
Application Version: 2011.0.2010.903
Application Timestamp: 4c81b6b1
Hang Signature: 6f7f
Hang Type: 256
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Hang Signature 1: 6f7fdbe11f5cbc55870291980279f715
Additional Hang Signature 2: d9f3
Additional Hang Signature 3: d9f3f36fb405da507fbe20ffc3386ffa
Additional Hang Signature 4: 6f7f
Additional Hang Signature 5: 6f7fdbe11f5cbc55870291980279f715
Additional Hang Signature 6: d9f3
Additional Hang Signature 7: d9f3f36fb405da507fbe20ffc3386ffa

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report