Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revit 2010 to 2009

25 REPLIES 25
Message 1 of 26
Anonymous
507 Views, 25 Replies

Revit 2010 to 2009

{color:#800000}How do you convert a 2010 Revit project to use on the 2009 program???

I'm not very good with the program so any help would be great.
{color}
25 REPLIES 25
Message 2 of 26
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

On Fri, 15 May 2009 14:52:14 +0000, gutgirl <> wrote:

>{color:#800000}How do you convert a 2010 Revit project to use on the 2009 program???
>
>I'm not very good with the program so any help would be great.{color}

You can't.

Novell....it does a server good!
Message 3 of 26
Anonymous

Revit since day one has never had the ability to save backwards to an earlier version.
Message 4 of 26
Anonymous

Thanks...Now I can stop searching for a solution.
-gutgirl
Message 5 of 26
Anonymous

Hi,
Maybe try to export in IFC format.

--
Jean-Paul Remacle
Ma galerie - http://www.remdesign.tk/ Fédération Belge de Kin-Ball - http://www.kin-ball.be
E-Mail : jeanpaul_remacle @ yahoo.fr (Sans Espace / Without Space)
"La plus perdue de toutes les journées est celle où l'on a pas ri... - Chamfort)"
Message 6 of 26
An-Bar

It is incredibleIt is incredible that 2010 Revit Version can't work 2009 version... I have been AutoCad user since 1995, after Architectural desktop now AutoCad Architecture, and I have gotten with Revit 2009 and have received the updated revit 2010, and I found the incredible news that 2010 can not save files in 2009, this is a big issue, because all my client and associates the has 2009 revit architecture or structure if I update my system to 2010 I am longer able to work with them because they can not open my files.
I can not understand how a big software developer as AutoCad never thought in that...or they thought and they never did nothing for fix this, this way force the revit user or never update or always get the update....I would like if this is legal or illegal.
There are a lot Engineers or Architect that can not effort updates and why Autodesk is force do it ...I think this is wrong...this make me think in cancel my updated subscription because there is not reason to be always updated if my clients or associates they are not updated...this in unacceptable.
Message 7 of 26
Anonymous

This has been the way with Revit since before Autodesk owned it. I don't think its likely to change in the near future either. This is where you need to co-ordinate with your clients, contractors and consultants at the beginning of the job and decide the file format for the project. Its sometimes more trouble than its worth to upgrade any one project, especially as the design progresses, so pick a release - and use it for the life of the project, and make sure the ENTIRE team knows.

This is a subject with an enourmous amount written on it already, Resellers should have informed you. AUGI and this forum have plenty of documentation. IFC is one consideration, but you could potentially face loss of data.

To say 'I didn't know you could not save to previous releases in Revit' is like saying 'I didn't know McDonalds makes you fat'. Revit needs educated users
Message 8 of 26
An-Bar

Unfortunately I did not have the proper information about Revit...because knowing this could be my decision to implement a new software for my business could be different. But that is not the point, the point is that Autodesk is selling a subscription software, that as soon as you Update your system you need find new consultant or associated, because your currently associates or consultants do not want to update the system or simple they are not able to effort it.
Is complete out of sense that you are getting every year an updated that you can not used..for the reason that mention before...We are working in a system that require that professional office find a proper tools and helper to arrived successfully at the end of each project.
As you mention the reseller did not give the correct information... and let me tell you I know perfectly the AutoCad and something about Revit, and I have used a software and computer for more than 20 years, and I never found a software that new version can not save file in old versions, AutoCad 2010 can save drawing in R12 version, and that make AutoCad a powerful software and you will be able to work with a wide professional offices without ask them what kind of software use for jobs.... An the solution is not go back to AutoCad and forget Revit....I like Revit and in the short time that I have worked with, I have found that could be a powerful tool as AutoCad, but AutoDesk showed us a good product (AutoCad), and taught us to use it, and give us a tool to work with different professional, why not keep doing the same with a Revit... Do not forget that AutoDesk purchased Revit with the intention of fight against Archicad, and now is starting to lose land with decision like update software.
As a Revit users, we need disagree that situation like this, Revit and its update are expensive softwares...does not cost couple of dollars do not forget that. Edited by: An-Bar on May 19, 2009 10:24 PM
Message 9 of 26
Anonymous

This is why Revit is sold as subscription only, you cannot buy an upgrade for it. Ideally, everyone is on subscription, so everyone upgrades at the same time.
As someone else mentioned, much has been written about why they have decided to use this approach.
Message 10 of 26
An-Bar

Reseller sell Revit without subscription, I got it because I think is good to be update Edited by: An-Bar on May 19, 2009 10:39 PM
Message 11 of 26
Anonymous

You need to talk to long term Revit Users and how they manage the upgrade process.
It usually goes something like this...

At the start of a project, the team gets together and decides the file format for the life of the project.
If it has to change, you need buy in from the who project team.

If Revit were to have the ability to save 'backwards', what would you save 'new' objects as in an older peice of software that doesn't understand? This would take up too much cost in terms of development when there are far more pressing things that need those RandD $'s
Message 12 of 26
An-Bar

Let me clarify something first..... What is the big update that Revit 2010 offer you, that you must be in the necessity of update your system (templete, families, etc).
Your comment can be so valuable if you work in a big company, where Architectural and Engineers are working together.
but my friend the coin has two sides, there are the small and median size offices, that is the biggest amount of buyer, that work and have another office as associates or consultants...are you forgotten them?...Let's talk about this issue for the next five years and in our computers we will find five or more Revit Versions with its respective templete, families, etc.... is this correct or not?
Message 13 of 26
Anonymous

Personally - I have been using, training, implementing Revit since 2002. In, and for a variety of companies - size from 5 to 2,000 people.

In this release, there isn't much that Revit MEP can offer that wasn't in 2009, a few tweaks for sure, but nothing radical.
Yes, you need to update all you libraries, templates etc for a new version.

We have multiple versions of Revit - 2008, 2009 and new projects will be 2010, IF the project demands it. And yes, users have multiple versions on their computers
Message 14 of 26
An-Bar

You see, then what is the gold to have the update when you need keep the prior version to keep working
Message 15 of 26
Anonymous

You are missing the point, only upgrade

If you need to
If the other team members are using the software
When you start a new project

This is why its called 'collaboration'
Message 16 of 26
An-Bar

My dear friend... the point of discussion is not the collaboration between offices, the point is the ability of revit 2010 to save files in prior version...that is the point!!!!
Message 17 of 26
Anonymous

This is exactly the point I've been trying to make:

"If Revit were to have the ability to save 'backwards', what would you save 'new' objects as in an older peice of software that doesn't understand? "

Do you save them as dumb objects and accept data loss?
Do you program "object enablers" for the older versions?

The former I wouldn't accept and the latter would detract from future development.

Please read the history of Revit and why the single database was developed this way. Yes Autodesk may have purchased it. Just because you can save down in Autocad, doesn't necessarily mean you should in Revit - its a bad idea.

If you must work with someone using an older release, IFC (for the model) and DWG for the documentation is the only real answer - but not an acceptable one in my book.
Message 18 of 26
Anonymous

I think that it is a great thing that you CANNOT save backwards for a simple reason. The people that spend countless hours of time customizing a bunch of stuff, have to start from scratch when there is a new release. The point is, if they would spend as much time learning how to utilize the program to it fullest and not trying to make a bunch of customized junk then the upgrade wouldnt be a hassle at all. Revit is a great simple program that everybody wants to make into a launch program, well it isnt. Dont get me wrong, I am far from being an expert, but having dealt with "CAD" programs for the last 20+ years I have learned a little about them, I think. "KISS" is an acronym that more people should use, it would make everyones life more enjoyable. Revit is a great program that I hope to continue to use for years to come as long as it stays useable and not some larger than life gorilla that is unmanagable. done

John Fleming
GMK Architecture, inc.
Message 19 of 26
robincapperw

Actually, if using the AutoCAD verticals like AutoCAD Architecture with AEC objects you cant save back without smashing for the same reason. Even with an object enabler the old version cant interpret objects that didn't exist when it was made.

Robin
Autodesk AEC Collection 2020 - PC: HP Z6 | Win 10 64 | Xeon 3014 | 64 GB ram | Quadro P5000 - Tablet: Surface 3 Pro i5-4300u | Win 10 Ent 1703 64 | 8GB ram - Phone: Samsung S21 Ultra | Android 11
RobiNZ CAD Blog | LinkedIn
Message 20 of 26
Anonymous

As a current Architectural CADD student that was forced onto Revit because the university has a licensing agreement with Autodesk, I bought a full version (2009) to start my own business in the fall of 2008, just to find out in the fall of 2009 that I can only update by being forced into buying yet another expensive subscription each year. This is a travesty and a slap in the face of new "small" users! Be very careful of opening a 2009 version drawing in 2010...You can never go back! Not only are you prevented from saving backwards, your 2009 file can be taken, and you will not be able to open it ever again in your 2009 Revit.

As most people are finding out, Revit's Subscription only platform is costly and very difficult to coordinate with. I have found that the bulk of my associates and clients are willing to put up with an AutoCAD system that is friendly in many different versions, but slow, than to be held to the financial flames of a costly subscription. So I will throw my $7000 investment into the trash and start over, poorer but wiser.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report