Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Resolution of Inserted Image

20 REPLIES 20
Message 1 of 21
BIMAbhi
5752 Views, 20 Replies

Resolution of Inserted Image

Is there any option to change the resolution of an inserted image (jpg, bmp, png etc.) in revit interface? Please see the attachments. Thanks in advance.

Thanks & Regards
BIMAbhi
20 REPLIES 20
Message 2 of 21
parveen.revit
in reply to: BIMAbhi

simple answer in no, you can't do ti after inserting.

Parveen_Intec_Infocom (BIM, CAD, GIS, QS Services' Provider)
Message 3 of 21
BIMAbhi
in reply to: parveen.revit

Is there any add-ins to solve this problem?

Thanks & Regards
BIMAbhi
Message 4 of 21
parveen.revit

most probably NO.

Parveen_Intec_Infocom (BIM, CAD, GIS, QS Services' Provider)
Message 5 of 21
vector3

You can always change the resolution of an imported image. 

Or any image for that matter.

Resolution just means how tightly the pixels were packed together

when the image was created. The tighter the pixels are packed

together, the sharper and more vivid the colors. Stretch an image

out larger and the pixels get farther apart and the picture loses its

sharpness and looks dull.

Try importing a large image into Revit and then shrink it down

with its grips and watch it get sharp and vivid. That's what changing

the resolution is.

Message 6 of 21
mmarcarelliNX
in reply to: vector3

I have a 300 DPI .PNG image file that looks "sharp and vivid" outside of Revit. As soon as I insert that exact same image into my file it defaults to 72 DPI and looks like trash. Even when scaling it down the image maintains the jagged edges, just gets smaller.  

Message 7 of 21
ToanDN
in reply to: mmarcarelliNX

Can you share the PNG?
Message 8 of 21
ja1357
in reply to: ToanDN

Hi ToanDN

Please see the attached PNG image and PDF Revit titleblock with logo.

• This PNG image is 100mm x 79mm at 300 dpi and looks very sharp and clear.
  • I want the PNG image to be placed on my A1 sheet in Revit at a size of 100mm x 79mm (actual size of the PNG image).
  • I insert the PNG into Revit 2019 and it inserts at 4 times the actual size at a resolution of 72 dpi. (large logo on PDF attached)
  • I adjust the image size to fit title block. (small logo on PDF attached)
  • Revit displays and prints at an unacceptable/unprofessional quality. 

I think it is Revit at fault here by changing the DPI to 72 but I cant be sure that it is not me causing the problem, please can you help resolve this problem.

Thanks in Advance

James

Message 9 of 21
RDAOU
in reply to: ja1357

its 2020 start a new thread!!!...this is the 9th ancient saga topic post that resurface in 2 days! Im glad I took a 2years break from this forum  … 

blah! 

Below is your .PNG file...Using simple insert/import image tool it will always default to 72 dpi (image will default to screen resolution) there are ways around that though … here is a 150 and can go upwards to 600 dpi I think

DPI.png

YOUTUBE | BIM | COMPUTATIONAL DESIGN | PARAMETRIC DESIGN | GENERATIVE DESIGN | VISUAL PROGRAMMING
If you find this reply helpful kindly hit the LIKE BUTTON and if applicable please ACCEPT AS SOLUTION

Message 10 of 21
ToanDN

Do you have Revit 2020?  If so, convert the PND to PDF and you can control the DPI (up to 600) when link the PDF in.

Annotation 2020-01-02 114012.jpg

Message 11 of 21
ja1357
in reply to: RDAOU

RDAOU 

Thanks for your reply but it has not help solve this issue

Message 12 of 21
RDAOU

@ja1357 

you shouldn't be having an issue if you are using 2020...

If you are not using 2020 or for some firm policy you are unable to upgrade to 2020 then there is a point for discussion...in a new thread

YOUTUBE | BIM | COMPUTATIONAL DESIGN | PARAMETRIC DESIGN | GENERATIVE DESIGN | VISUAL PROGRAMMING
If you find this reply helpful kindly hit the LIKE BUTTON and if applicable please ACCEPT AS SOLUTION

Message 13 of 21
ja1357

Thanks ToanDN

I only have 2019 version so your answer is an inserted image into Revit will always degrade the image file to 72dpi

ToanDN you have confirmed what I thought that this is just another one of those annoying Revit limitations so you have solved the mystery and I no longer have to waste my time looking into a solution.  (my boss will have to read this post and deal with the low quality logo on the titleblock.  This is no longer my concern 😀)

Many thanks, much appreciated

James  

Message 14 of 21
ToanDN

If you are not using 2020, you could convert the PNG to TIFF and insert it in Revit instead.
Message 15 of 21
ja1357

Thanks ToanDN

I have already tried inserting a tiff image and Revit 2019 still reduces the resolution.

Thanks

James

Message 16 of 21
ToanDN

Try this.

Message 17 of 21
ja1357

Wow I have viewed your attachments and the TIFF image looks very good.  But when I try inserting a TIFF image it looks bad. 

Also when I selected your image Revit still shows in the properties a 72 dpi image even though it looks like 300dpi

I am curious how you achieved this seemingly impossible task in Revit 2019.

The steps I take are: Insert > Image > locate image and select > Place it in Revit. 

Please could you let me know how you did it?  (My only guess is you have sold your soul to Autodesk in return for un- circulated knowledge)

Many Thanks

Message 18 of 21
ToanDN

The steps to insert doesn't change the result. I did drag and drop the image onto Revit but inserting it cia command wouldn't make any difference.

The key is the image format (the image itself, not just the file extension). I had to remove the transparency/alpha channel when I converted the PNG to TIFF. The result would be the same if I saved the non-transparent image to JPG or PNG.

If you can update to 2020 then using PDF is the best option to retain transparency and high resolution at the same time.

FWIW Autodesk hasn't bought my soul. If it did the entire forums would be using a Vanta black theme.
Message 19 of 21
ja1357

ToanDN

You have solved this issue, it was indeed the transparency values of the image that was causing this issue (although I would expect it to work with transparency).

I exported the image as a tiff and a PNG with the transparency channels disabled and both loaded into Revit 2019 with no issues.  

If the image is a JPEG then there is no need to remove transparency as JPEG images don't support transparency at all.

Thank you for your time & patience (and a thank you from my Gaffa)

Message 20 of 21
martijn_pater

@ja1357 wrote:

Thanks ToanDN

I only have 2019 version so your answer is an inserted image into Revit will always degrade the image file to 72dpi

ToanDN you have confirmed what I thought that this is just another one of those annoying Revit limitations so you have solved the mystery and I no longer have to waste my time looking into a solution.  (my boss will have to read this post and deal with the low quality logo on the titleblock.  This is no longer my concern 😀)

Many thanks, much appreciated

James  

If it is a logo I don't suppose you have it in vector format? So perhaps you could just import that as such, ie. put it in a detail item/legend... 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report