Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Representing multiple brick colors in elevation

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
ddepriest
4330 Views, 7 Replies

Representing multiple brick colors in elevation

Hello all,

I have searched for an answer here and am surprised this question has not been asked before. What I want to do is create a material that has both a brick surface pattern and an underlying solid grey surface pattern. Is this possible? The reason for this is, as the post title suggests, to represent different colors of brick in the same plane. 

Thanks in advance,

-David

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

do you want something like in the attached file. ... in shaded mode for elevations?

Constantin Stroescu
BIM Manager AGD

Your Name

EESignature

Message 3 of 8

I'd like something that would work in hidden line mode.

Message 4 of 8
joaorcunha
in reply to: ddepriest

I'm affraid this is not possible... to achieve this, we create a region fill with the solid color we need, making it transparent, then placing over the wall with brick pattern applied.

I cannot find a good alternative to this with current Revit release.

Regards,

João Cunha.

Crazy for BIM since 2007...
Message 5 of 8
ddepriest
in reply to: joaorcunha

That's what I was afraid of. I have been using the workaround you describe, but had hoped for a more elegant solution.

Message 6 of 8

hmm....that you want I do not think it could be done in Hidden Lines  Visual Style....

It could be a workaround to do it from Shaded with Edges Visual Style...as in the attached file...

I did the following steps:

• select all the objects that has to be monocrome and from Properties>Phasing>Phase...turn them into Existing
  • from Phase Filter >Show All
  • the objects that has to be colored placed  in New Phase
  • In Manage > Phasing > Phases , apply a Graphic Overrides to Existing > Projection/Surface > Patterns turn it to white - solid fill
  • Finish the elevation view and make it a VIEW TEMPLATE . This template can now be applied to all the elevations.... 

If Phase Filter is set to None the shade moded will appear in color...

Constantin Stroescu
BIM Manager AGD

Your Name

EESignature

Message 7 of 8
jagostinhoCT
in reply to: ddepriest

Hello,

Found this thread while looking for ideas.

The way we did it was by using a Generic Model Face Based family.

A Void extrusion is used to cut through the wall.
A matching Solid extrusion is used to fill in the hole. A Material parameter is assigned to this form so that it can use a different material.
Visibility parameter is added to the Solid form so that one can get a hole or brick of different colour using the same family.

In your project file, assign the Flemish Bond pattern to the corresponding material and then assign that material to the wall in question.
Load the Face-based family into the project and host it to the face of the wall.
Move the family to match the flemish bond pattern assigned to the wall.
Select the face-based family and array it using the pattern as reference to set the distance between family instances.

See RVT attached with both options.

Hope this helps.

Assistant BIM/CAD Manager

Manchester, UK

Tags (2)
Message 8 of 8
ToanDN
in reply to: jagostinhoCT

I think you can also use Split Face or Create Parts to show different materials on a single wall.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report