Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reporting a host layer material ?

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
Anonymous
423 Views, 3 Replies

Reporting a host layer material ?

I am putting an internal screen family together.

As the wall wraps do not work on the soffit (only on reveals), I have used a sweep to match the wall plaster thickness to provide a finish.

Is it possible to report the host wall finish material and have it assigned to this sweep automatically ? I have tried to add a finish layer to the host wall in the family - but have not been able to find a way of extracting the material value for this layer.

For the moment I have left it as an Instance property for manual correction - but automated would be great.

Many thanks,

Martin

screen-01.jpg

Reveals where wrapping works automatically:

screen-02.jpg

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
constantin.stroescu
in reply to: Anonymous

I am not sure that my method will suit you ( I use families)  ,but here it is:

1. New Family > Generic Model Line Based > make a parametric box with Instance Parameters ( length, width, height)
  2. in family : Properties > Materials and Finishes > Material  - from Material Browser load Gypsum Board or other wanted material 
  3. Load this family into the project
  4. In Project , use a Ceiling Plan with View Range's Cut Plane set to cut the windows  and from Project Browser > Families > find the family made in phase 1,2 and drag it on the Ceiling View  - adjust the geometry of the family using arrows
  5. In 3d cut looks as you wanted...

Image 381.png

Constantin Stroescu

EESignature

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: constantin.stroescu

Thanks Constantin,

I have the family working with the soffit insert as part of the internal screen family, and with the material assignment as an instance - I was wondering if it was possible to report the host wall's finish and use that assignment automatically. After spending an hour or so on it, I don't think it is possible at all - and it looks as though I will have to rely on the manual assignment.

It will generally be a plaster finish - although the paint / finish colour will vary.

Thanks,

Martin

Message 4 of 4
constantin.stroescu
in reply to: Anonymous

in addition to my post I think that could be possible that the family described in there can be used as nested family in a Window Family with a  Visibility Parameter to control if it is shown or not in Project. In a draft test seems that it could work....

Constantin Stroescu

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report