Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Repeating Rooms (Tags) on Other Floors

20 REPLIES 20
Message 1 of 21
rumbleseat
3863 Views, 20 Replies

Repeating Rooms (Tags) on Other Floors

I just correclty tagged 90 rooms on the 4th floor of my building. Floors 5 through 8 are identical. Is there some Revit efficiency I can harness to quickly copy the room tags up the tower, floor by floor?
20 REPLIES 20
Message 2 of 21
Anonymous
in reply to: rumbleseat

Do a window selection, and filter everything out except Rooms and room tags.
Copy (Ctrl-C) and the go to Edit>Paste Aligned>Select Levels by Name

wrote in message news:5192549@discussion.autodesk.com...
I just correclty tagged 90 rooms on the 4th floor of my building. Floors 5
through 8 are identical. Is there some Revit efficiency I can harness to
quickly copy the room tags up the tower, floor by floor?
Message 3 of 21
Anonymous

You can try this too:
1. Copy the first room w/tag in 4th floor (say room 4001) to the next level
by Edit>Paste Aligned.
2. Rename / renumber that tag (for instance change 4001 to 5001.
3. Now copy all the remaining tags w/rooms and paste aligned.
4. RVT should automatically name them in the 5 series.
--
Nicholas Iyadurai
St Louis, MO
wrote in message news:5192549@discussion.autodesk.com...
I just correclty tagged 90 rooms on the 4th floor of my building. Floors 5
through 8 are identical. Is there some Revit efficiency I can harness to
quickly copy the room tags up the tower, floor by floor?
Message 4 of 21
rumbleseat

When I do this copy and paste procedure, the pasted rooms fail to find their boundaries and every tag says "Room not Enclosed"

Any thoughts?
Message 5 of 21
rumbleseat

Many of my room tags have alpha characters in them. WHen I copy the entire floor composed of room tags like 04-440T, I get ninety rooms with tags like of-440WWWWWWWWWW.

Any help would be appreciated.
Message 6 of 21
rumbleseat

(bump)
Message 7 of 21
rumbleseat

It doesn't correctly rename the tags.
I'm having to hand correct ninety room tags per floor.
There's gotta be a better way....

My room # format is:
ff-nnn
ff = two digits per floor (i.e. 04)
nnn = three digit room number

this seems to confuse it. although I can control the ff #s, I get absolutely random results in the nnn portion.
Message 8 of 21
sbrown

Unfortunately, you have to manually number the rooms. It is just the way it is.
Message 9 of 21
rumbleseat

dang!
Message 10 of 21
rumbleseat

but just to belabor the point...
When you copy the number it makes up new numbers. There MUST be a protocol it's using. Is that accessible?
Message 11 of 21
Anonymous

This will work if all floors are the same...

1. Create all your rooms and tags on one floor
2. Next make a group of all the rooms and tags - apart from (say) 1.101
3. Go to next level
4. Create room and tag for FIRST room (2.101)
5. then attach ROOM group with attached detail
6. Repeat for all floors
Message 12 of 21
rumbleseat

Thanks - I appreciate the suggestion.

Unfortuantely that gives a different (incorrect) result. Instead of guessing wildly inappropriate 4 digit #s, I got Revit to supply 3 digit numbers in a consecutive series. Unfortunately it's not the series I need, and the placement of the sequence is random.

Revit is still tryig to think Too much about what I want. There is no thinking necessary. I want the simplest copy that can be done (Paste the exact content I copied) but Revit keeps trying to guess something more complicated.

It's very frustrating.
Message 13 of 21
rumbleseat

Does Revit mean to suggest that if I was building a one-hundred story building I'd have to put some poor schlep to work renumbering every roomtag in the project because it can't place the exact room # (with one changed digit indicating the floor) directly over the similar room on every other floor?

That seems like an oversight. Nearly every multi-story building in Western civilization has repeating floorplates... which... would benefit from a room numbering system that allows people to anticipate where a number can be found in the plan
Message 14 of 21
Anonymous

I wouldn't bother with room tags, go straight to the schedule and renumber there - tile views and go floor by floor.
Message 15 of 21
rumbleseat

I can only imagine other problesm doin git that way. There are twenty "bathrooms" per floor 50 "patient rooms." There will be no order to the tags onthe plan, which unfortunately, is a requirement.
Message 16 of 21
rumbleseat

The room tag harnesses the power of a computer about as much as 'Clippy,' Microsoft's talking paperclip nuisance. Thanks again Revit for another piece of crap tool.
Message 17 of 21
JeffreyMcGrew

oh for pete's sake, it's mr. unhappy again. Sheesh. don't you have something better to do?

Revit numbers rooms in the order they are created, based upon the last number you put in. It doesn't have an auto-number feature (yet). It's been that way for five years now. Yeah, it sucks sometimes, but does it really warrent such vitrol?

What are you so unhappy about that you feel the need to do nothing but vent useless crap here man?
Message 18 of 21
Steve_Stafford

Warning...an apologist's viewpoint follows:

It might seem so but unless you are doing a hotel, room numbers are not always as regular and predictable as you suggest. Add to the mix that in your case you have a very specific numbering protocol, you aren't the only one either.

One hundred story towers aren't the norm at many firms...fifty even isn't...

Fwiw, the room numbering I've done on projects never is so simple as just incrementing values. Then we end up making changes constantly as the client and their needs/program flexes so eventually we have to revisit them no matter how smart the software gets.

"Poor schleps" get to do lots more "interesting" tasks in other software now...
Message 19 of 21
rumbleseat

You guys think you have the bomb-diggity product. You've all drunk the kool-aid.

I'm your reality check. You can easily get rid of me if you just rename your site "the Rah Rah Revit-Booster Discussion Group" and write yourselves a snappy cheer to go with it.

Revit ain't ready for prime time. Nothing but headaches over assinine problems for weeks now. At best we can have two people using it at once. Frequent crashes (4 times in two days) & lost work.
Sorry to rain on the parade.

And btw, what is Revit's obsession with keeping elements joined? It's all it wants to talk about.
Message 20 of 21
Anonymous

Oh lord you're at it again!
We're going way off topic here, but maybe you should be looking at your pc specs and Revit build if there are that many crashes. I wouldn't say we 're using the best available, but we have up to 7 working on one project. Sure there are times when something goes wrong, but 95% of the time its operator error.
And whats wrong with joined elements? The majority of those that automatically join - you want them to, and if you don't, unjoin them. Simple.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report