Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rendering Won't Export

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
lsumrow
1474 Views, 4 Replies

Rendering Won't Export

I've seen some older posts on this, but nothing recent so as I am having this problem now after a long night of rendering, I'll ask and hope for a solution.

Working with Revit Architecture 2011, 32 bit, 4GB RAM, 39 GB free space on my hard drive, 56MB Revit project file. After 8 hours of rendering a 300 dpi, 4585 x 1189 image uncompressed size of 20.8MB, the image will not Save to Project nor Export. I do not get an error message or warning of any kind when I select either option from the Rendering dialog.

I tried Export from the main menu with a .tiff exported at 100% and got a message that the image size was too large. I attempted to do this again reducing the image size, but now the Export to Image option is gray and not available.

My computer performs everything else - as in other programs open and close telling me that the memory buffer is available. Surely with 39GB free on my hard disk there's room to save the file.

Does anyone have a solution?

Thanks!
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
rosskirby
in reply to: lsumrow

If you're only running a 32bit OS, then you're probably not making full use of that 4GB of RAM (you might be getting 3GB).  Due to the large size of your rendering, you're probably running out of memory, even if your computer is telling you that you've got plenty of buffer space.  You'll have to either upgrade to a 64bit OS with more memory (8GB should be plenty, but 4GB might work too), or render a smaller image (physically smaller, or at a lower resolution, your choice).

Ross Kirby
Principal
Dynamik Design
www.dynamikdesign.com
Message 3 of 5
ccollins

I replied to your AUGI post as well--

same answer as the other reply here; not enough RAM.

cheers

Cliff B. Collins
Registered Architect/BIM Manager
Thalden Boyd Emery Architects
St. Louis, MO
Message 4 of 5
lsumrow
in reply to: ccollins

I wanted to close out this issue with a conclusion and give out a plug to those who were so helpful in responding and assisting with this issue.

The reason for the problem is just as Cliff and others surmised. My 32 bit machine has 4GB of memory, but only 2GB can be naturally allocated to one process. So, the guys at DCCADD, specifically Aaron, pointed me to a few hints to get an extra 1GB out of my machine. His suggestion is here:

Suggest customer enable 3GB switch per this document: http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=8018966&linkID=9243099. Also, I'd recommend setting your page file (per the link above) to an inital size of 4096MB and a maximum size of 8192MB.

All in all, not the result I wanted, but it's great to have a community and reseller that's on the ball. Kudos to everyone for their input.

Cheers,
Jeff

Message 5 of 5
caralinaj

I just had this problem. It would act like it was saving but the files would never appear. Very frustrating after a ten hour render. I took screenshots of it to make sure I had something. Then last ditch effort I closed the render dialog box and saved the project. Then before doing anything else, I opened the render dialog box again and clicked show render and tried to save/export again. And guess what? It worked!!! I have am not guaranteeing this will work every time or at all but It worked for me! 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report