Revit Architecture

Distinguished Contributor
paul.ashley
Message 1 of 6 (201 Views)
Accepted Solution

References not found in Arrayed Items within a Family

201 Views, 5 Replies
08-14-2012 01:28 PM

With some help obtained in another thread, I'm pretty close to finishing a family for an exterior trellis element (attached).  The problem now is that the arrayed support pieces cannot be dimensioned to their centerlines except for the first two items in the array - the items used to establish the array.  Any support pieces beyond that can only be dimensioned to their faces - Revit sees no centerline.  Is this a "feature" of arrays or have I constructed the family incorrectly?

*Expert Elite*
CADastrophe
Message 2 of 6 (197 Views)

Re: References not found in Arrayed Items within a Family

08-14-2012 01:40 PM in reply to: paul.ashley

Try including a Reference Line (not Plane) in the arrayed Group.

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Distinguished Mentor
Caddman13
Message 3 of 6 (195 Views)

08-14-2012 01:48 PM in reply to: paul.ashley

Add a line or Reference Line to the Array by editing the group and adding an object.

This will give you a snap point for the dimensions.

paul.ashley
Message 4 of 6 (190 Views)

08-14-2012 02:02 PM in reply to: CADastrophe

I tried a model line and that worked but the reference line idea is better since it isn't seen.  I added it to the family of the item to be dimensioned but I may try adding it to the array itself to see if there's a difference in how the tow solutions work.

It still seems odd, though, that the references are lost beyond the initial elements of the array.  Thanks for the help.

Distinguished Mentor
Caddman13
Message 5 of 6 (187 Views)

08-14-2012 02:12 PM in reply to: paul.ashley

I use Invisible symbolic lines also to do that same thing.

paul.ashley
Message 6 of 6 (182 Views)

08-14-2012 02:28 PM in reply to: Caddman13

Thanks for all the help.  It's working fine now and I've learned something new.

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Revit Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for Revit helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Revit

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Youtube