Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reference Plane and Move

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
TrevN
930 Views, 8 Replies

Reference Plane and Move

So,

Because the stair macro doesn't give me what I want I am modelling some stairs from scratch!

The problem I've got is that there are elements that are on a reference plane at an angle and at a later stage I may want to move the finished stair. If I try and move the stair horizontally, these elements that are at an angle wont move along that horizontal plane!

Is there a way so everything moves in the same plane?

I've tried to group them and make them an assembly.

Any ideas how or if this is possible?

Thanks

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
Alisder.Brown
in reply to: TrevN

Hey

Could you post an image of the type of stair you are creating? 

Alisder Brown
Senior BIM Coordinator
Scotland, UK

Message 3 of 9
TrevN
in reply to: Alisder.Brown

Attached

Message 4 of 9
Alisder.Brown

How have you made the stairs.. as model-in-place elements?

What was the issue with using the stair tool, this type of stair should be relitively simple to make (assiming im not missing some bespoke/custom component somewhere?

See image, done in Revit, using stair by component using the default stringer/tread/riser profile (which can be edited to w/e you want) Had no sizes to work to but its pretty much what your image shows to rough sizes.

Ill have a look for a PDF i have (by Paul Aubin i beleive) about advance stair creation and settings, its very good.

Alisder Brown
Senior BIM Coordinator
Scotland, UK

Message 5 of 9
TrevN

The problem is that the landings we require are sloped and the baluster spacings are not consistant, so the stair macro isn't powerful enough to do what we want.

I'm very new to Revit, so maybe in the future when I understand it better I will be able to create a fully functional family to do what we want. But for the time being I'm going down the model in place route.

Hence my prblem with the reference planes not moving in the directions I want.

Message 6 of 9
Alisder.Brown

Sloped landings mid stair?

The problem with using the model in place is exactly your problem, moving ref planes/objects. 

When you sleect to move, try unticking the box in the options bar (below ribbon) for "constrain" if it is ticked? or tick "Disjoin" and try moving then. it should work.

Personally, i would, for your 2 stair sections, use the stair tool and do 2 seperate runs and remove the landing, and simply substitute the landing for a floor with correct thickness/material and give it a slope. Or ONLY model in place the landing to give it the correct category?

And regarding the baluster spacings are dictated by you in the type properties of the railing within the "baluster placement" you can set to have X amount per tread or set the spacings from previous and set up patterns etc.

Using the stair tool will make it much easier to manage later in the projects life if there are any modifications.

Alisder Brown
Senior BIM Coordinator
Scotland, UK

Message 7 of 9
TrevN

Yep, sloping landings mid stair. These are external stairs and need to drain.

I think it will be a combination of all your suggestions because the stairs we are doing for these projects are bespoke and complex.

Thanks for you help.

Message 8 of 9
Alisder.Brown

Ah okay 🙂

Well, as this could be an issue to get the "3D model" to what you are looking for, it would be wise and good practice to simply model the landing as flat, and add in the correct information in a DETAIL view on the 2D level. (masked regions, components, lines etc) It would save you a lot or stress an will keep you computer screen safe 😛 

It is something called "Overkill", and is a big skill to have when working in a BIM workflow. Just because you can model it in 3D, does not mean you have to. 

Alisder Brown
Senior BIM Coordinator
Scotland, UK

Message 9 of 9
TrevN

There are too many knock on effects to clearances etc for it not to be modeled fully but I hear what your saying, but in this case whats the point of having a 3D model then added a 2D detail? Some 2D details sure, but not when it has so many knock on effects.

Might as well stay with AutoCAD!

I'm sure with practice things will get better tho.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report