I have a detail family that is made up of lines with yes/no visibility parameters to make different elements show in my documents. This family is very handy but is SOOO SLOW!
My workstation is a very fast i7 with 32 GB ram and an SSD and will start Revit and open my 200 MB project in 10 to 20 seconds. The problem is that takes several minutes to change from one type to another in this family.
Does anyone have any idea why this family is so slow and what can be done to make it faster to use?
Solved! Go to Solution.
This family is very simple with no equations or logic statements. It is just lines that make up 5 different shapes which have been made into groups so that I can edit them when needed. I have the lines for each type with a yes/no visability parameters.
The file size is about 2 MB and it will take as much as 4 to 5 minutes to change from one type to another within this file. That is on a computer that can open a 200 MB project in less than 30 seconds.
I have included a screen shot of this family structure.
I'm going to concur, groups are (generally) bad in families, things start to get overly complex as far as how revit thinks about things.
For your family, if i'm understanding what you're doing, I would temproary hide all but one group (say group "a") ungroup it, select all of those lines, set their visibility, unhide all, hide lines, hide all but one group ("b" and repeat. While it's easier to manipulate them as a group, once the family is live, it's an added level of compliation that's not needed. The other option is to turn each group into a sub-family, which works much better than grouping.
If you go with the first method, DO save a still grouped version, so that you can edit things more easily later on. your live family does not have to be th same version as the one you use to build the family.
Thanks for the replies.
On this family, ungrouping creates an uneditable mess with multiple lines in the same location and different visibility settings.
I stumbled on a good work-around. I inserted the family into a new detail family and made copies for each type. Then I set the visibility to a yes/no and assigned that to a type in the new family.
With the new family I can change type in my project instantly so it solves the problem. I can also go back and edit the groups in the original family and reload to the new one. This is still painfully slow but I do not need to do it often,
Not quite. I inserted the original family as a nested family with its 8 types made up of several groups each into the new family. I then duplicated the y/n parameters and the family types in the new one and made copies of each type and assigned the appropriate vis parameter.
So what I did was add one more level of complexity but the result was that it is now very useable. Editing is still slow but I don't need to do that very much.
I was surprised that it worked as well. I thought that I would need to make each one a separate nested family but it didn't turn out that way. The groups did not come through as groups from the nested family.
Each type is made up of several groups and the appearance is controlled by the y/n. If you look at the screen shot of the family you will see multiple components. One type might have the right side, the next will add the left side and a third will add the top. They re controlled by checking the appropriate y/n. My nesting the family I eliminated the groups but preserved the the types.
I have created a screen shot that shows the project with family types, the new family (#2) and nested family (#1).
Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.