Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Really easy question

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
amontri
429 Views, 6 Replies

Really easy question

Hi Guys,

When I try to add a window or door, I get a message: "No doors family is loaded in the project..etc etc" and then I try to go and find a default template file to use which I assume has basic families loaded, I can't find any anywhere.  I'm stuck at step 1, already.  Can someone rescue me?  

Thank you!

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
L.Maas
in reply to: amontri

Hi,

If you want to place a door in the project you will have to have door loaded in your project. So if Revit is telling that you do not have a door you will have to load it from the library.

Check in the project browser if you have a door family loaded. See attached screenshot where I have 6 door families loaded in my project.

It is correct that in several templates there are door families inside the (Archtiectural) template.

What I have also seen that during installation things did not go right and no libraries (with familes) got installed.

In that case you will have to do a (partial) reinstallation of Revit.

In my case (Win 7, Revit 2014) my libraries reside in C:\ProgramData\Autodesk\RVT 2014\Libraries

Louis

EESignature

Please mention Revit version, especially when uploading Revit files.

Message 3 of 7
amontri
in reply to: L.Maas

Thanks, Enlint for your help!  I also have win7, 2014 and went to the folder you suggested and I actually have no folder titled 'Libraries'.  So, how do I do a partial reinstallation?  I started with the trial and then entered the serial number for the actual license...maybe something slipped along the way? 

Message 4 of 7
L.Maas

What you can try to do is in windows: go to "Control Panel", "Programs & Features" this will get you to a window with all installed programs on your computer.

Then select "Autodesk Revit 2014" and click on "Install/Change".

This will start the installtion menu of Revit. When that is loaded select button "Add or Remove Features"

Now you can select content packs (i.e. libraries).

My experience is that you someitmes need to first deselect all chosen content packs, complete the installation (restart computer) and then return to this menu and add the needed content packs (start with a single one first).

If this does not succeed, you might have to do a complete reinstallation. Otherwise check the "Installation & Licensing Forum" as mentioned in the top post of this forum. Maybe they can assist you further.

Succes.

Louis

EESignature

Message 5 of 7
amontri
in reply to: L.Maas

Hmmm....The content packs are by country?  And then when I try to Add Content, it opens a windows explorer browser and I'm supposed to choose a folder, but I don't know which one nor which is the correct path for these libraries folder...would you know where it's supposed to be?  Thank youuuu!

Message 6 of 7
L.Maas

Correct, content packs are by country. Most content packs will contain many families (like doors & windows). How those will look might be dependent on what is normally available in those countries. So a door in UK content pack might differ from US door because they use differnt sizes and materials in both countries. It also might differ in line types and so on as the normal CAD rules might differ between countries.

In the add/remove content window you probably clicked on the "Add Content" button. However you should (de)select the content pack(s) mentioned in the list. The "Add Content" button is in the case you want to load a content pack that was not available during the release of Revit 2014.

So (de)select "Content Packs" from the list and press the "Next" button. This should (de)install the different content packs. Expect to need the DVD/USB stick where you originally installed Revit from.

You can find the different content packs on the installtion stick/DVD in:

\Autodesk\Autodesk Building Design Suite Premium 2014\Content\Revit\en

As this topic moves more and more to an installation issue it is advised to move/restart this topic in the installation forum as they might have more experience with these issue.

Louis

EESignature

Message 7 of 7
amontri

Thank youuuuuu!!  I'm all set!!!!  Today will be a great day!! 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report