Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ready to transfer CAD to Revit (set it up right from the beginning)

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
diesellam
676 Views, 5 Replies

Ready to transfer CAD to Revit (set it up right from the beginning)

OK, I'm ready to convert the CAD file into Revit.  Please see attached file.

I want to make sure I start everything right before I jump into it.

The project location:

This site is an empty land right now, doesn't have any streets yet.  But eventually it will.

So what should I enter for the project address since there's none right now.

File setup:

There are 2 types of building: Type A, Type B.

I'm thinking to have 1 file that has the terrain (green) and building C.

Type A, 1 file; Type B, 1 file.

I'll link both Type A, Type B into the file that has the terrain and building C.  Is this the right approach?

Also, since the site is angled, I think after the linked files should be angled, not the original building files, right?

Then the question is: do I just rotate the linked files after I linked them?

The project origin:

Does it make sense to setup up at B306?

Google Earth:

I want to set it up right from the beginning so that I can export the whole model accurately into Google Earth?  What's the best way to do it?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Bob_Zurunkle
in reply to: diesellam

Consider linking your CAD file as an underlay in Revit. Also, if your CAD file has an origin, there is an option in the link box to go origin-to-origin.

If by some odd chance my nattering was useful -- that's great, glad to help. But if it actually solved your issue, then please mark my solution as accepted 🙂
Message 3 of 6
alan.quinn

See my comment below:

The project location:
This site is an empty land right now, doesn't have any streets yet. But eventually it will.
So what should I enter for the project address since there's none right now.

Leave it blank until you have an address. 

File setup:
There are 2 types of building: Type A, Type B.
I'm thinking to have 1 file that has the terrain (green) and building C.
Type A, 1 file; Type B, 1 file.
I'll link both Type A, Type B into the file that has the terrain and building C. Is this the right approach?

Depending on the size of your building you may want to create separate files for each building and another for the site and link them all together into a separate Master File. This is where you will do all your annotation.

Also, since the site is angled, I think after the linked files should be angled, not the original building files, right?
Then the question is: do I just rotate the linked files after I linked them?

I'm assuming you mean the site is sloped....correct. However, your buildings will need to be build to suit the site. See this link for detailied information on Shared Coordinates: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/11938886/Shared-Coordinates.pdf  

The project origin:
Does it make sense to setup up at B306?

I don not know what B306 is. See DropBox Shared Corrdinates PDF. Its a big file with lots of information, but it will answer all your Shared Coordinates questions.

Google Earth:
I want to set it up right from the beginning so that I can export the whole model accurately into Google Earth? What's the best way to do it?

Download and install Globe Link add-in from the Subscription Center. See this link for more detail on what version of Google to use, see last line. http://wikihelp.autodesk.com/Revit/enu/2013/Help/00005-More_Inf0/0001-Subscrip1/0015-Globe_Li15/0016...

Hope this helps and thanks for posting.

Message 4 of 6
diesellam
in reply to: alan.quinn

Thanks for the response.

I was looking into the share coordinate info.  I think your answer reminds me that I'm heading the right direction.

When I said "roate" the building after I linked them, I meant the orientation of each house.  Like the true north vs project north.  I was saying when I make the changes in each file of the house A, B, the orientation still remains true north: walls are parallel to the x, y axis.  Then, after I link these files into the master file, I'll rotate the house per the project north.  Is this the right way to do it?

Message 5 of 6
alan.quinn

Yes, you can do that, or you can duplicate a floor plan in the actual house file and set that to True North. In any event the PDF will provide more details and if you do a search on YouTube you will find lots of videos that both explain and demonstrate what you want/need to do.

Thanks again,

Message 6 of 6
diesellam
in reply to: alan.quinn

Cool.  Thanks once again for all of the info you've provided.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report